PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about GPS? Some things to consider.

paddlenbike
04-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Thinking about GPS? Some things to consider.

- Size matters
- Map detail is your friend

Background:
GPS technology is becoming more advanced and more affordable than ever. The first GPS units simply provided a digital readout with latitude and longitude information. Nice, but if you do not have a map or you have insufficient maps skills, you’re still lost. The next generation of GPS units provided monochrome moving background maps which offered the ability to better determine your location without much in the way of mapping skills. Today we have access to affordable handheld GPS units with vibrant color displays that will display the same level of detail as the best paper maps ever produced. (Generally the topo map software packages are scanned and georeferenced copies of 1:24K, 1:100K and 1:250K USGS topo maps—just what you want for high level map detail.)

Screen size is everything:
http://lh5.google.com/image/paddlenbike/RifzyL_ZhXI/AAAAAAAAARw/stjnEjg-bMo/s288/D%3A%5Cgps-laptop.jpg
Take your newspaper-sized map and cut out a 1.5-inch by 1.5-inch section. Is this how you want to look at your maps? The more screen real estate you have the easier it will be to determine where you are and where you’re going. If your destination is 6 miles away, you won’t be able to see your current position and your destination on the same tiny screen without being zoomed out so far that you loose all map detail. This is where the laptop/tablet PC comes in. If you have room for one these in your truck, this might be the way to go. You can purchase a lower-end laptop for around $600, which is only about $100 more than you might pay for a handheld GPS or PDA GPS, and you have all the capability of a laptop and a 12-inch to 15-inch screen for viewing maps. Serial, USB or bluetooth GPS units provide the positional data to the laptop. Downside? It’s going to take a lot of space inside the truck, the hard drive’s moving parts may experience a reduced lifespan, too large to take hiking.

Laptop capability in a small package:
http://lh5.google.com/image/paddlenbike/RifzyL_ZhYI/AAAAAAAAAR4/GTz3GjIS_9I/s288/D%3A%5Cgps-pda.jpg
If you do not have room for a laptop, a personal data assistant (PDA) (also called a pocket PC) with a wireless bluetooth GPS receiver may be the next best thing. As of this April 2007 writing, most of the PDAs available from Dell and HP are around $299 to $500 and have 512 to 624 MHz processors, SD cards for 4+ gigabytes of storage (no moving parts, unlike a computer hard drive), and 3.5 to 4” screens. Many of the mapping software packages are available for Microsoft Windows Mobile-driven PDAs, which means you have a wide range of mapping products to choose from. The software packages I have tested come with a desktop version that allows you to do route planning on the PC, then an “export map and waypoints” option allows you to view the same map and route on your PDA. Most PDAs will ship from the factory with many of the utilities you will find on your desktop PC—calendar and address book functions, calculators, slimmed-down versions of popular word processing and spreadsheet applications and built-in wireless internet with an internet browser.

The advantages of the PDA over the laptop include cost, portability, saves room inside the truck and no moving parts to succumb to vibration. The four to eight buttons on the PDA units can be customized to perform certain tasks (like zoom in/out, pan, etc.) without ever touching the screen or needing to use the stylus pen. Downside is the screens are much smaller and more difficult to view and there is no mouse and only an on-screen keyboard to enter information. Bluetooth keyboards and mice are available, but it seems more practical to do heavy trip planning on the home PC and transfer the data to the PDA.

Garmin makes their own PDAs called the iQue, which run Garmin’s own GPS software. You have to run Garmin maps with the software and the software will only work with Garmin’s own GPS receivers, some of which are built into the unit. If you like the Garmin software, you can run it on a Windows Mobile equipped PDA, but you cannot use a non-Garmin branded GPS unit and expect the software to work. If you like Garmin products, you might find this as a nice alternative over the standalone handheld receivers.

Recreational GPS receivers:
http://lh5.google.com/image/paddlenbike/RifzyL_ZhWI/AAAAAAAAARo/pe8u0Z0Hz7k/s288/D%3A%5Cgps-handheld.jpg
Next in line is the recreational grade handheld GPS unit—these are the DeLorme, Garmin, Magellan, and Lowrance names you are probably familiar with. These units are rugged, often waterproof and finally feature SD card slots like PDAs for map storage. No matter what type of unit you buy, I highly recommend buying a unit with SD card or compact flash storage. 64K of onboard memory won’t store much in the way of maps.

These handheld units typically feature dedicated buttons to control zoom in/out, pan, feature mark, etc. The GPS receiver is integrated so you do not have to worry about GPS wiring or a wireless Bluetooth connection. The downside here is screen size and map detail. The display size of the popular Garmin 60CSX is only 1.5 inches by 2.2 inches, which means the display can be difficult to see if the unit is mounted on the dashboard. The recreational grade units come with proprietary operating systems, which means if you buy a Garmin (or any of the brands named above), you are limited to using their software and maps. In my experience, unless you buy the extra detailed state series (often $99 per state), you’re not going to get much map detail for off-roading. In addition, the processing power of these units is quite low, which can result in map flash while panning or moving at higher speeds when high level map detail is loaded. You will also not have wireless internet access or any software applications other than for mapping purposes.

A recreational grade unit would be my first choice for backpacking, however I think there are better options for backcountry vehicle travel.

"StreetPilot-type"
http://lh5.google.com/image/paddlenbike/RifzyL_ZhZI/AAAAAAAAASA/d0ZAofJZjTs/s288/D%3A%5Cgps-streetpilot.jpg
Moving slightly out of the “handheld” category are the larger dashboard units such as the Garmin 276c/III/IV/V/VI, StreetPilot and Lowrance Baja series. These units offer similar features as the handhelds, only with a screen size comparable to a PDA or larger.

Changing technology:
The recent introduction of the Delorme PN20 may change the way handheld GPS units are marketed in the future. This unit allows a user to display not only topo maps but also aerial imagery. This type of imagery can also be used on the PDA GPS units and laptop computers with the appropriate software. Viewing your position on an aerial photograph is an extremely useful tool for field navigation. The Delorme also has the ability to import custom maps. With the depth of geographical information being made available on the internet, Garmin, Magellan and Lowrance are going to lose marketshare if they do not offer the same capabilities in the near future.

Backcountry off-road travel is why we are here:
The dashboard mounted guidance GPS units like the TomTom, Garmin Nuvi, etc and the OEM navigation systems are not being considered here because they offer road navigation only. If you want this capability, I would recommend buying a software package for use on your laptop or PDA. I have also left out discussion of the latest technology—ultra mobile PCs. These are basically miniature laptops; I have no experience using one and in fact I have never seen one. Look into these if you want something sized between a PDA and a laptop.

A quick note about GPS receiver technology:
You will read a lot about SiRF Star III chipsets. SiRF is the newest GPS technology offering improved satellite sensitivity and many will tout it as a “must have.” SiRF is great, but the recent 32 channel MTK chipsets feature the same –158dBm sensitivity with a fraction of the battery consumption of a SiRF Star III chip. I recommend doing some reading on your own on this matter.

What I use:
GPS survey work is part of my working career. I use a $7,000 Trimble GPS unit. This unit is basically an HP PDA with an integrated GPS receiver running Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system and ESRI ArcPad software. I use 1:24K, 1:100K and 1:250K USGS quad maps available in every State of U.S. for free via the internet, and I also use free aerial imagery from a number of sources. I can toggle between these maps and view my current position, as well as the places I have been.

For personal use, I have identical capability with my Dell Axim X51V PDA. I paid $349 for the PDA and $69 for an I-Blue 737 Bluetooth GPS (MTK chipset). It runs the same Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system as the $7,000 Trimble, it features a faster processor (624 MHz versus 512 MHz for the Trimble), a 3.7” true VGA screen (Trimble uses Quarter VGA), an SD card slot with a 4 gigabyte card, an additional compact flash slot and two $99 software packages for navigation. I use iGuidance for turn-by-turn voice and 3D ROAD guidance (looks like the TomTom ads you’ve seen) and I use Memory-Map for off-road stuff. The latter software allows me to use the same maps and aerial imagery that I use at work, plan routes, record tracklogs, points of interest, geocaching capabilities, etc. I am very pleased with this setup; I feel it is a good compromise between screen size and portability.

Summary:
Hopefully this will make your GPS purchase decision a little easier. This write-up was meant for backcountry off-road travel in mind. If you feel that I have inaccurately represented a piece of equipment, comment away if you wish.

TDiddy
04-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Great summary!

Bighead
04-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Nice info... :thumbup:

The first GPS units simply provided a digital readout with latitude and longitude information. Nice, but if you do not have a map or you have insufficient maps skills, you’re still lost.

This line brought back some memories of Desert Storm and using the Trimble Trimpack:

http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/Images/1499220LFTs.jpg

We thought it was the neatest thing since cold cereal!

garrett
04-19-2007, 07:05 PM
awesome thread!

paddlenbike
04-20-2007, 12:34 PM
http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/Images/1499220LFTs.jpg

Now that is high tech! They make wedding bands that provide more detailed information than that thing!

slosurfer
04-20-2007, 06:23 PM
:thumbup: Nice writeup! NO kidding about the screensize, my garmin legend is a little small to read on the road. I have to use a topo map in my lap and double check with the gps every once in a while. Works out allright if you know how to use a topo map. I really like your PDA setup.

paddlenbike
04-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks! We might have to try some geocaching in Mammoth this year using all the different units we have.

reggie 00
04-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Really good info.

How hard would it be during our get togethers to hold classes?

I have Topo map for my computer. I don't understand a bit of it. I am planning on getting a GPS before the next big trip, but again i don't have clue 1 on how to use it.
I think it would be cool since we are all together if those in the know could school those of us who don't.

Essentially like you might have done if you where in The Boy Scouts (sorry girls i have no idea how Girls Scouts did things)

I get pretty good ideas on how stuff is done online here and else where, but it usually takes me having hands on to really absorb it.

Bob98SR5
04-22-2007, 11:47 AM
hey ken,

reggie has a really good idea there. i definitely dont have map reading skills and mating the knowledge of map reading to gps topo maps would be a definite help to alot of people.

i can bring a white board as we have a spare in my office

bob

slosurfer
04-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I have Topo map for my computer. I don't understand a bit of it. I am planning on getting a GPS before the next big trip, but again i don't have clue 1 on how to use it.

Dang squids, can't read a map for :poke: ! :flipoff:

reggie 00
04-22-2007, 08:44 PM

Dang squids, can't read a map for :poke: ! :flipoff:

That's right we used Charts :flipoff:

put all this stuff underwater and we'll be good to go.
Until then i guess you leathernecks will have to divulge some map reading info.

oh ya sorry big word above, di·vulge: to make known, to make public

slosurfer
04-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Charts are great but not helpful when you don't know that you turn away from the refueler after refueling!
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/denvership.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/denver.jpg

Oh and thanks for the big word definition :flipoff:

reggie 00
04-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Charts are great but not helpful when you don't know that you turn away from the refueler after refueling!
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/denvership.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/denver.jpg

Oh and thanks for the big word definition :flipoff:

Wasn't that a special bring a Marine to sea day disaster?

Oh and i do mean Special. in the nicest way.

slosurfer
04-22-2007, 09:04 PM
:lol: Our AAVs do look similar to the shortbus. I got a nice extended stay in Hawaii because of our shipwreck. Honestly, you don't even need to know port and starboard to know that you steer away from the only other big thing out there for miles around. Kind of like this guy who ran into me in Kuwait while I was parked. Hit the biggest damn thing out in the desert for miles :screwy:.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/img006.jpg

slosurfer
04-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Ken, sorry for the recent hijack, although a good gps could have helped in each case.

- Size matters
Screen size is everything:

Oh, and Ken is a size queen! :flipoff:

reggie 00
04-22-2007, 09:16 PM
:lol: :rofl:

Tanto
04-23-2007, 05:27 AM
Awesome picture there, Chris. That truly is a Darwin moment.

I'm interested in the way you have your GPS setup now, Ken, since that polesmoker stole mine last month.

I really did like the Garmin 60CX but I could see how the screen size would come into play. What kind of stand are you using to hold your PDA in there?

paddlenbike
04-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Now I'm hijacking my own post to comment on the photo Chris posted. The photo of the Corolla crashed into the tank is amazing. For the life of me I can't understand how that happened. :headscratch: That guy needs new prescription glasses.

Ryan--I am using an Akron vent mount. It retails for about $10 but you get it for free when you order a bluetooth GPS receiver from buygpsnow.com. I had to modify it a bit for desert use and will likely be switching to something more secure.

One thing I forgot to mention in my review is the ability to pair a recreational-grade GPS receiver with a laptop. That way you have a rugged GPS unit for backpacking, then it gets used only to pass GPS positional information to your laptop where you can view the map of your choice on the laptop screen. I wish the recreational-grade GPS manufacturers would make the screens a little larger and quit the proprietary stuff so you could use your map of choice.

By the way, I used my PDA to check Yotatech from our campground in Death Valley. This is where I learned that Ryan's truck had been broken-into and could not make the trip. WiFi is great!

ryanmb21
06-22-2007, 05:04 PM
This is a great thread, I really want to learn how to use this stuff. I will likely be following your lead in the future. Thanks for the write-up!

bigwapitijohnny
06-23-2007, 03:52 AM
I was wondering about the battery life of your PDA...everytime that I use bluetooth (Treo 650), it drains my battery BIG TIME. How do you address this issue when you are in the field for a couple of days?

Thanks for the great information! :thumbup:

Regards,

BWJ

paddlenbike
06-23-2007, 08:00 AM
I mostly use mine in the truck, so I leave the PDA plugged into 12 volt power at all times. If I unplug the power, the screen dims to save battery life and the screen goes to sleep after a few minutes. The GPS receiver has a 35 hour run-time, so I rarely need to plug it in.

There are larger batteries available and you can buy those adapters that allow you to use AA batteries in place of the lithium ions if you need extra capacity and do not have the ability to charge via 110V or 12V power.

ryanmb21
06-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Well I've been surfin the net looking for a good PDA...

and I'm clueless, Dell doesn't sell the Axim anymore and HP has on with integrated GPS. Seems pricey.

Experts, if you were to buy a new system for yourself what would be on the shopping list? (I don't really need for anything besides GPS) Which PDA? Which GPS receiver? Which software for on-road and off?

I appreciate the help!

paddlenbike
06-24-2007, 06:12 PM
I knew Dell was discontinuing the Axim at the time I bought mine. The market is basically demanding integrated PDA/phones, something for which I have no interest. The ultramobile PCs will apparently be the next fad, but in my opinion, they're too small to be as useful as a laptop and too big to carry like the PDA. There are some great deals out there on PDAs right now since everyone is trying to close them out. They were listed in Dell's "outlet" a couple of weeks ago.

Seanz0rz
06-24-2007, 07:06 PM
i often find that the 7 inch wide screen in have in my truck is too small, and very inadequate for topo maps. regular maps using iguidance 3.0 umpc is awesome, but topo usa just doesn't show up very well.

im working on a 15 inch "digital map" screen that will fit in the glove box or center console for when i need topo maps, or maps with greater detail.