PDA

View Full Version : Buying NEW Tokico Trek Master Shocks, You had better read this warning.

sschaefer3
04-20-2007, 06:40 AM
If you buy brand new Tokico Trek Master Shocks they will fail. They had the wrong nuts on the top of them, Tokico changed out the nuts and they are still wrong and will still fail.

Sonoran Steel has a "MODIFIED" version of the green front Tokico Trek Master shock that WILL NOT FAIL, not now, not ever.

So if you buy from eBay or some other dealer not extremely familiar with these vehicles, make sure you have the time and patience to deal with an exchange.

I have told Tokico and I have told everyone under the sun and they just don't get it so I am done with that. We have taken the matter into our own hands and now offer our version of the shock which is correct.

Our lift kits use a much higher quality and much more expensive Toyota OEM front shock that come new correct. So don't associate our brand new System 1 or 7 lift kits with this issue.

Only our System 3 still uses the green shocks and those have now been re-done to be correct.

You have been warned.

sschaefer3
04-20-2007, 06:47 AM
This has nothing to do with the BLUE TRD shocks either, those are fine. The black ones are fine, Only the green ones supplied by the after market division will fail in their original form.

But ours will not fail. I typically don't help "home kit builders" but since you could die, you have been helped.

Sonoran Steel is not associated with Tokico/Hitachi in any way.

SD4runner
04-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Is it the nut or the threads on the shock that are faulty?!

Thats scary. I just had my blue tokicos assembled and I think they stripped the frigging threads when putting them on. Made me a little pissed off to say the least. I'm hoping the nut wont slip...

MTL_4runner
04-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Is it the nut or the threads on the shock that are faulty?!

I believe it was the nut itself that was failing, not the stud on the top of the shock.
You definately want to replace those nuts on TM shocks that have been recently installed.

Thanks for the FYI on that Steve!

sschaefer3
04-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Bottom line is if you "don't want to go there" buy the shocks from Sonoran Steel.

Seanz0rz
04-20-2007, 11:34 AM
i purchased the shocks from you, finally got mine replaced after the nut failed. when i recieved the new one the new nut fit very loosely on the threads. i replaced that nut with 12x1.25 grade 10.9 (grade 8) bolts.

what other modificiations do i need to ensure i dont have a repeat of last time?

sschaefer3
04-20-2007, 12:44 PM
I sent you a PM.

Seanz0rz
04-20-2007, 01:02 PM
thanks steve, i appreciate that.

Mike-in-WV
04-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Why can't you just replace the nuts when you get the shocks from whoever
you buy them from? Won't that solve the problem? Maybe I'm missing something
here or I just need to buy different shocks or something. It sure seems like Tokico
would replace the problem nuts by now/ If not then I don't think I want there shocks,Lol. Mike

sschaefer3
04-20-2007, 04:54 PM
here or I just need to buy different shocks or something. It sure seems like Tokico
would replace the problem nuts by now/ If not then I don't think I want there shocks,Lol. Mike

If you hare having problems, contact the vendor that sold you the product.

Mike-in-WV
04-20-2007, 06:07 PM

If you hare having problems, contact the vendor that sold you the product.

I haven't bought any yet! I was reading your post about them here and on another site and I'm thinking about buying a set of them for my 01 Tacoma, 4x4. I'm just trying to get more info before I buy them and that's why I was asking if I could just replace the nuts or do I have to buy them from Sonoran steel for some reason? Mike

Robinhood4x4
04-20-2007, 09:09 PM
It sounds like that is proprietary information.

Mojo_Risin
04-20-2007, 09:30 PM
What's sad is Tokico is obviously not a newcomer to the shock manufacturing world - and that this type of error or whatever it is can happen. Why would they use a different nut on different shock with the same application??? :headscratch:

Elton
04-20-2007, 10:36 PM
thanks for the info was just about to order them time to look elsewhere

Mike-in-WV
04-21-2007, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the info guys. It looks like they are fine as long as you replace the nuts or use the old ones. Good to know and thanks to Steve for pointing this out and maybe keeping someone from getting hurt. Mike

MTL_4runner
04-21-2007, 06:25 AM
I haven't bought any yet! I was reading your post about them here and on another site and I'm thinking about buying a set of them for my 01 Tacoma, 4x4. I'm just trying to get more info before I buy them and that's why I was asking if I could just replace the nuts or do I have to buy them from Sonoran steel for some reason? Mike

Buying them from Steve just means that you don't have to go out and do the homework to put together something that won't fail later. His prices are good so really it's alot easier (and worry free) to just pick up a set from him.

bamachem
04-21-2007, 06:29 AM
actually, if you're buying new parts from dealers & vendors, then you can't piece a kit together w/ all the necessary "fixes" for any cheaper than what he sells them for.

sschaefer3
04-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Actually you get a "fixed" shock from me for the same price as everyone else sells them for. The After market division of Tokico is very difficult and time consuming to deal with. You may find the same shocks for a few bucks less on eBay, etc. Then you will have the challenge of trying to warranty the parts with these value sellers who will not understand the problem. As of date, my customers are the only ones to get warranty replacements. This is becuase I went to bat for them and proved the evidence to support the claims. I seriously doubt that they will connect my documentation with any other vendor, so you'll have to go through the same thing again.

Tokico DOES NOT warranty the shocks, the dealer level does and then Tokico settles up at the end of the year for all the defective shocks. Is your eBay guy selling at bare minimums going to want to sit on these until the year ends? Are they even going to understand what happened? It would be extremely easy to say "installer error" and not replace them under the warranty. You decide.

paddlenbike
04-21-2007, 10:46 AM
For those that are asking, yes, you can use re-use the stock Toyota nut.

neliconcept
04-21-2007, 11:12 AM
wow good to know Steve, I was thinking about switching my OME shocks for these, good info as im sure a lot do not know this.

NHEric
09-04-2007, 04:29 AM
I just got these shocks, and just bought new toyota nuts cause I didn't like the way the nut felt that came with the shock. Funny thing is I never even saw this post untill now.

I have about 800 miles on these shocks and have had no issues too date. What a big differance in the ride, especially in the rear. I don't get that wiggle side too side over a washboard type road in the rear. I get more impressed with my 4runner every time I update it.

Eric