PDA

View Full Version : Need some buying advice from fellow yota lovers.

YotaFun
08-03-2010, 04:38 PM
So today at work, we got in a lovely 99' 4Runner limited edition with the e-locker and multi-mode transfer case.

This thing is immaculate for the area, and has a little over 150k on it.

It has the huger of the springs for 99' as well as TRD headers.
Reason it has headers is because it has had a supercharger on it before (dealer installed and removed, the master tech I am workin under is the only one that has touched this vehicle)

The Runner needs some work, dealer price of work is 4200.
But I know I can get that work done for around 500 dollars possibly less.

I will give more details when I get home but considering what you know so far, how much do you think it's worth?

DHC6twinotter
08-03-2010, 06:11 PM
IMO, maybe 6 grand or so?

Edit: miss-took amount work needed as total price for vehicle.

YotaFun
08-03-2010, 06:14 PM
To add to this hear are the issues.

Front Brakes:
Drivers side caliper is locked up (I have my old brakes from my 4Runner with rotors that were piratically new) = $50 for new pads since I can cut the rotors and I have good calipers.
Rear Brakes: Axle seal went bad, so replace axle seals (boths sides) = $10
Cut drums and put new shoes on = $50 for new shoes

Cat is going bad, figured, I put an o2 sensor spacer in my GTI and that helped trick the o2 into thinking the cat was good, possible do the same thing for this Runner = $5 for the spark plug fouler to do the spacer.
Or $150-200 for a new cat (per ebay

Other then that I have the state inspection covered since I can do that myself and the truck all an all looks sound with minimal rust and the interior just needs a good vacuum.

Also, there might possibly be a supercharger to go with the truck.

Further more are my plans for this truck.
I would like to keep it stock and my DD since it is in such pristine condition, and my current 4Runner is not.

I figured I would swap exhaust from my 4Runner to it since I have the TRD cat back and he has stock, this way it would be a nice sounding DD and I really don't need that much performance for what could become a trail only rig.

I would throw a set of 32" decent all weather tires, not too rugged yet no as plain as street.

So again, thoughts as how much I should put my opening bid at if the guy goes to trade it in?

CJM
08-03-2010, 06:33 PM
If you can afford it I say its a good deal :)

troyboy162
08-03-2010, 06:44 PM
it would be sweet to have but for a DD do you want another gas hog?

YotaFun
08-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah there is that issue Troy.
But I also think if I don't get it with the supercharger or at least leave it off,
I think I would be fine.

If I get the Supercharger with it, I have a few options:
A) Put it on, Run premium gas and cry at the pump.
B) Sell it and use the extra cash to do stuff to my current 4Runner
C) Put it on my current 4Runner for $#^!s and giggles
D) Put it on stepdads 4Runner for $#^! and giggles

I also was thinking of keeping my GTI, but the thing is at 229K miles, I don't have much trust in that anymore, and it is starting to show some weird symptoms that I think relate to the trans going "F-OFF I am done". So I guess this would also be a good back-up in case my little put put bites the bullet.

Also, I would like to have a reliable 4WD in case I do take my truck out again and break something major AGAIN.....
This way I know if there is bad weather and I need to make it to work, I have something I can trust to get me there, or anywhere else if I need to.

I wanted to try to find a reg cab Tacoma with a 4cyl and a 5spd, but in this area they are few and fare between and cost twice what I could possibly get this 4Runner for...

YotaFun
08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
So whats everyone think?

4k-6k for this 4Runner?

bamachem
08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I would think that in stock form, MINT, it *might* be worth $9k to $10k, retail.

Wholesale, it's more like $7k, at the top end.

With it needing so much work, you can knock another $3k easily off that.

A little over 2 years ago I bought a 99 Limited in stock form and very very clean with rear locker for $6700 in Florida. Flew down and drove it home. Good price at the time, and now you've got yet another body style change to the product line since then. 3rd Gens aren't worth what they used to be.... But they're still great vehicles.

If it's the right color and WHAT YOU WANT *and* you can get it for around $4k or so, then it's a good deal.

Don't forget that w/ the SC, it's more than likely been driven hard. That means Transmission issues will eventually rear their head if they haven't already.

BTW, once you get used to it, premium gas is not all that bad. I've been feeding it to the UZJ for the last year that I've been driving it and getting 15/16 MPG the whole time. Eventually, you just don't worry about the extra $3-$4 going in the tank every week and just drive it.

mastacox
08-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Don't forget, running just the supercharger without fuel mods is a risky proposition. Ping, leanout, and detonation are all possible (and may have occurred while the SC was on it before).

If I was getting a daily driver I would get a small sedan like a Corolla, Camry, etc. My. 02.

YotaFun
08-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Well looking into this 4runner more today, it was bought at this dealer and serviced since it was bought here.

Supercharger was on twice, first time it came off was cause his daughter started driving it and didn't want her to have the power, second time was just because he didn't want it on there.

Andy the color is exactly the same as your 99', black with the tan bottom, it would be cool if it was green but I like the black just as much, either those colors or the white that came with the 01-02' limited edition 4Runners lol.

Brian I have to agree with you bun this guy had no issues with pinging or any fuel issues.

And again I agree that a small sedan like a corolla or camary would be nice, but a deal like this on one of those hasn't presented itself yet.

Also I feel the GTI has maybe 500 miles left before it gives up the ghost.
Heading up hill today it was working and then it downshifted to the wrong gear and then just redlined and I had to let go and then get back on it :-(

CJM
08-04-2010, 05:25 PM
time for some lucas stop slip for the gti man.

I still say if you can score it for a good price its worth it.

YotaFun
08-04-2010, 05:28 PM
I put the stop slip in, didn't help
its just time....

CJM
08-05-2010, 07:57 PM
dang..well im sure pulling the engine and trans out is nothing for you now.