PDA

View Full Version : Decent BFG AT replacement?

Henrythewound
08-13-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm about due for new tires, 265/75/16. I have one BFG ATKO that is nearly new and 3 that are pretty old and getting dry cracks etc. The newish tire used to be a spare but had to be put into permanent rotation when one of my other tires bit the dust. BFG tires are really expensive, I'm looking at over 1K to get 4 new BFG tires from Discount Tire. Does anyone have an alternate tire recommendation in this size? I don't do hardcore offroad/crawling but do use 4WD and traverse some sharp rocky roads from time to time. I guess I'd like to hear tire recs from people who have had good luck with other (hopefully cheaper) tires. I recall hearing good things about the older gen Nitto Terra Grapplers, but that may have changed.

Thanks

troyboy162
08-13-2010, 04:32 PM
bfg is the cheapest one around right now that i know unless you are ok with retreads. in that case id get the treadwright with the bfg atko tread

mastacox
08-13-2010, 08:29 PM
The best replacement for a BFG A/T...

...is a BFG A/T. :D Just buy them.

Robinhood4x4
08-13-2010, 10:51 PM
I liked pirelli scorpions when I had them years ago.

Really tires are tires. PT Vs PT are pretty much the same, AT vs AT are pretty much the same, MT Vs MT are pretty much the same, Swamper Vs swamper are pretty much the same. Unless you step up a class, off road traction doesn't change a whole lot.

Obi..
08-13-2010, 11:04 PM

Ditto, my Scorpions were nice for mostly street but got torn all over the minute I hit any granite lain dirt.

BFG TA/KO's are now IIRC going on their second season and are still in reasonable shape, although half worn down.

corax
08-14-2010, 04:27 AM

Yep, the price might be hard to swallow but if you're happy with them and they do what you want, spend the money once and don't worry about having regrets. FWIW, when I had BFG A/Ts they lasted FOREVER.

CJM
08-14-2010, 04:48 AM
Firestone destination AT.

I had BFT AT, they were unimpressive even compared to some cheap tires I had from pepeboys!

Henrythewound
08-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. A friend down the street mentioned the Goodyear Duratracs. They are a bit cheaper but look like they are more aggressive than what I want. That and they appear to be available in only either load range C or E. I believe my BFGs are D. There is still tread on my tires but they are looking dry and cracky in places. I'm in Tucson so they have been subjected to lots of sun and heat. Reading the code on the tire says it was manufactured in 2004. I've had them on the 4Runner since 2007 (Craigslist purchase)

Seanz0rz
08-15-2010, 11:20 AM
ive had my bfg AT for 4 years and about 35k. they have been excellent tires and still have quite a bit of tread left.

L33T35T Tacoma
08-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Another vote for suck it up and get the BFGs. Buy quality and only cry once....

partsman93274
08-16-2010, 06:22 AM
I would say BFG's. Worth the money and it seems the sidewalls will wear out from my wife curb hopping b4 the tread ever does.

You get what you pay for I guess. I bought some Yokohama Geolanders for my Jeep and kick myself everytime I look at them. No traction and no life to them.

YotaFun
08-16-2010, 04:09 PM
I personally am not a fan of BFG, just have had the worst luck with them and I have tried every trick in the book to make them last or wear right and just never could.

I have switch to a more beefier tired now that I have full confidence it but its not something you need.

My suggestion and something hat is about 13 bucks cheaper then BFGs (according to tirerack.com) is the General Grabber AT 2.

I knew a few guys around school and around me running them and are pretty impressed with them.

General Tire has come a long way and imho feel its a name we will be seeing a lot more of in the off-road world.

That and the Grabber AT2 shares a very similar design with the AT KO.

thatxs my .02 :-)

Crinale
08-19-2010, 11:17 PM
As far as cheaper tires go, I have heard good things about the AT2, but never used them

I personally have the GoodYear DuraTracs - They are AWESOME. They have amazing winter traction (they have the mountain/snowflake symbol meaning you don't need chains), wet roads feel almost the same as dry roads, and they have really good dry traction too. I can't speak to their wear, as I have <10k miles on them, but they arent showing any signs of wear except from wheeling (couple chunks from the tread blocks and scrapes in the sidewalls). TBH, I couldn't be happier with a tire for my 4runner.

My.02

(FWIW i have 33x12.5r15 Load C, so slightly larger than what your looking at, but seems like it would just fit you even better because less sidewall to flex at all)

garrett
08-26-2010, 09:57 AM
i replaced my bfg a/ts with bridgestone dueler a/t revo 2 tires back in april and they have been good. they are not as aggressive as the bfg a/ts, but i don't really need it. they ride a little smoother than the bfgs and still look cool IMO.

however, i don't think they are much cheaper...

Crinale
08-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Revo's are significantly more expensive than BFG ATs... closer to the price of BFG MTs..

garrett
08-26-2010, 05:46 PM
oh you are right, sorry.

I looked earlier on tirerack.com and thought it said they were cheaper but I must have read it wrong.

Ohcrymore
01-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Goodyear Duratracs are good, I'm getting Goodyear Adventures (Kevlar) soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kryptoroxx
01-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Another +1 for general grabber at2. Have a set on my 4runner. Decent grip and the ride is better than bfgs. I had bfg many times before and I really like the a/t 2 tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Seanz0rz
01-26-2014, 11:29 AM
My problem with the General Grabber tires is the red lettering.

I'm about half way through my second set of BFG AT. Never let me down. I might move to MTRs next time.

fenrisx
01-26-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm running SilentArmor's and they are quite nice. They don't really look that aggressive though, compared to BFG AT or DuraTrac's. They've been awesome for two seasons of snow though.

Those new Goodyear Adventures w/ Kevlar look nice. I didn't even know about those..but they're new and I haven't looked recently so that makes sense.

CJM
01-26-2014, 12:30 PM
General grabber at2 can be ordered in blackwalls, you could also mount the red lettered ones with the blackwall as well.

I had the good year silent armors on several work trucks, excellent traction and they last a long time. I currently run bridgestone dueler revos on my T100 and like them, although the snow/ice traction isnt as good as I hoped-think its due to the small tread voids-they load up like the BFG's do.

Seanz0rz
01-26-2014, 01:37 PM
I'll have to look at them then. I always see the red letters and it really disturbs me.

Kryptoroxx
01-26-2014, 02:39 PM
I'll have to look at them then. I always see the red letters and it really disturbs me.

I believe those are the original grabbers. I have blackwalls and the other side has white lettering.

stamped and snail mailed

YotaFun
01-27-2014, 05:32 PM
One tire I will be looting into that my friend will be putting on his 4Runner soon is the BFG Rugged Terrain, NOT to be confused with the crappy BFG Rugged Trails, They look like a good tire and I look forward to see what he thinks of them in weather as well as what kind of MPG he gets.

I am still looking for a DD tire to put on the 4Runner and I think the Rugged Terrains are a contender, I have heard, at least for the 3rd gen guys, that the Duratracs suck the MPG out of our trucks, they are really soft, supper grippie and pretty heavy, which I think would cause the drop in MPG.

Robinhood4x4
01-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Yup, I lost 1 mpg with the duratracs and that's after adjusting for the size difference. I'll probably get something else next time.

paddlenbike
01-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Yup, I lost 1 mpg with the duratracs and that's after adjusting for the size difference. I'll probably get something else next time.

I feel like I lost 2 MPG going from 265/75R16 BFG ATs to my current Cooper Discoverer S/Ts in a 275/70R17 size. The tread pattern is more aggressive than the BFG, but not by much.

The Cooper is a 1/2" wider and 1/2" taller than the BFG, but it weighs 50.0 lbs while the smaller BFG is 52.5 lbs. The Cooper is load range C and the BFGs are now load range E only, but I still lost some mileage.

YotaFun
01-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Ken, I think there are a lot of factors involved then just the size when it comes to these tires.

I feel with the load range, the lower the range the more the tire grips the road, sort of like airing down when you hit the trails so the tire conforms to the rock.

Also it comes to the tread and the rubber design, the duratracs are really soft and the design I think is pretty aggressive for an AT tire, looking at the pattern of the Cooper they look about as aggressive.

You can't bump up the pressure to much to even it out, you would wear the tires prematurely.

With the tires I have on top of the crappy gearing and dying engine, I guess I should be glad I still get better mileage then a H2...

CJM
01-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Oh for sure the lower the load range it grips better, tires overall construction is much softer and pliable. 6 vs 8 or 10 ply is insane

Seanz0rz
01-29-2014, 07:35 PM
I haven't noticed much difference between the E and D BFG AT.

4x4mike
01-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Nor have I or most Toyota owners.

Seanz0rz
01-29-2014, 07:56 PM
I guess when I tip the scales at over 5klbs loaded, it doesn't make much difference. I think the E's handle a bit better on the highway, less sway.

CJM
01-29-2014, 08:17 PM
I guess when I tip the scales at over 5klbs loaded, it doesn't make much difference. I think the E's handle a bit better on the highway, less sway.

less overall tire flex :)

Marc P
01-29-2014, 09:25 PM
I really like the Kelly Safari TSR...I ran them on my 3rd gen. They were super quiet, wore very well, and the price was right. I put about 25k on them, and they still had a ton of tread left.