PDA

View Full Version : what shocks to get

Elton
04-20-2007, 11:06 PM
im looking to get some new shocks and im not sure which ones would be best im looking to spend at most $250 i was looking at the monroe reflex http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_reflex.cfm

ChickenLover
04-21-2007, 12:20 AM
I'd save a little more $$ and get the bilsteins. You'll be hard-pressed to find a better shock.

Elton
04-21-2007, 12:40 AM
i would but i have to pay to have them installed which is around $100-200 :(

QSVeilside
04-21-2007, 03:48 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Bilsteins come with a lifetime warranty... well at least mine did.

I agree with Chicken. Well worth the cash.

MTL_4runner
04-21-2007, 03:48 AM
You have alot of choices:

1) OEM Tokicos (somewhat soft)
2) Aftermarket Yellow High Pressure Bilsteins (very stiff)
3) TRD Blue bilsteins (slightly firmer than stock but alot less that the Yellow ones, SS has them)
4) Tokico Trekmasters (similar to the stock ride, SS has them)
5) Monroe (softer than stock)
6) OME comfort shocks (slightly firmer than stock but alot less that the Y/B ones)

Don't use the OME's if you have a topout spacer installed up front.

p nut
04-21-2007, 07:38 AM
I switched mine out for Gabriel Ultra's from Autozone. I was not impressed. But they were cheap (I think ~$170 for all four), and had a lifetime warranty. Like others have said, get the Bil's and do it yourself. I'd never done it before, but did finish it up with relative ease....in 20 degree weather.

$289+free shipping at shox.com

Elton
04-21-2007, 01:14 PM
i would do it my self but i have very little tools plus the shop im going to take it to has a wall mounted spring compressor

Elton
04-21-2007, 04:02 PM
i found some bilsteins for $275 shipped and this other place has them for $312 shipped and they price match so i will see what kind of deal i can get also just how stiff are we talking about ?

MTL_4runner
04-21-2007, 04:15 PM
just how stiff are we talking about ?

They won't knock your fillings out (unless you team them up with the PP springs) but they are very noticable over stock form (stiff over bumps, feel vibrations alot more and less body roll in turns). I'd go for a set of the Trekmasters myself if you're going to do any offroading too.

Elton
04-21-2007, 05:02 PM
anyone else got any ideas ?

DNAhilux
04-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Well most options, and the best ones, have been named. If you want a firm setup go with the bils, soft go with OME comforts. Ask the q' how do you like your stock ride (despite them being worn out), and what is your true driving style, and go from there. I think Jamie hit it right with the trekmasters. These can be had at a good price on ebay. The most you will save is 20$/shock with the cheapies, so 80-100 in total..Dont skimp on shocks, they will be under your vehicle for many thousands of miles. Save 80 bucks, but really end up wasting 200.

mkgarrison5
04-23-2007, 06:29 AM
which one of these would be better for road use with a lil off roading but not much? the Tokico Trekmasters or the monroe's?? my truck is all factory btw

MTL_4runner
04-23-2007, 06:59 AM
which one of these would be better for road use with a lil off roading but not much? the Tokico Trekmasters or the monroe's?? my truck is all factory btw

Well, do you like the stock ride as is or would you prefer it a bit softer or a bit stiffer?

mkgarrison5
04-23-2007, 07:05 AM
i would like it to be softer but not to the point where body roll gets worse..

MTL_4runner
04-23-2007, 07:21 AM
The monroes would be pretty soft then. The Tokico TMs are a little stiffer, but not much. There's always a set of stock Tokico shocks from the dealer (call Northridge Toyota for pricing) which I believe are fairly cheap too.

mkgarrison5
04-23-2007, 08:49 AM
The monroes would be pretty soft then. The Tokico TMs are a little stiffer, but not much. There's always a set of stock Tokico shocks from the dealer (call Northridge Toyota for pricing) which I believe are fairly cheap too.

you have monroes' on yours right?? would they allow the truck to sway to much while cornering.. yeah i want a softer ride but as we all know these tacomas like to roll while in a curve

MTL_4runner
04-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I have OME's on mine, not Monroes.
The OME comforts will be just a little stiffer than stock shocks.

mkgarrison5
04-23-2007, 09:16 AM
when you replace yours which will you get and why? just curious

Elton
04-23-2007, 05:38 PM
starting to lean towards the tokico i dont go offroad very much just once and awhile

MTL_4runner
04-23-2007, 06:13 PM
when you replace yours which will you get and why? just curious

I'll probably have these on my truck until I change vehicles now. I got them because they were a good alternative to the bilsteins (which were popular at the time, but too stiff for my taste) and an upgrade from the stock Tokico shocks which didn't hold up as well to my heavy towing. Had the Trekmasters been popular at the time I bought mine I might have tried them, but I'm just as happy with the ones I got. The OME comforts have performed flawlessly for me thus far.

Elton
04-23-2007, 06:28 PM
one question how hard is it to change the rear shocks with basic hand tools i can borrow a floor jack and jack stands and for the front is it easy to just take the hole strut and take it to the shop and have them change the shocks ? just trying to save some money so i can get that rear axle seal fixed

MTL_4runner
04-23-2007, 06:33 PM
one question how hard is it to change the rear shocks with basic hand tools i can borrow a floor jack and jack stands and for the front is it easy to just take the hole strut and take it to the shop and have them change the shocks ? just trying to save some money so i can get that rear axle seal fixed

Rear shocks can be done with hand tools but a sawzall makes life alot easier. Toughest part is the top nut. If you don't have access to a sawzall, use a big pair of channel lock pliers to turn the shock body while holding the top nut with a ratchet. If you liev in an area with rust, this is a major PITA.

Fronts should be no problem to remove and take to a shop to change the springs/shocks over. Remember that removing the 4 bolts under the bottom A-arm makes it alot easier to get things in place and aligned. Very doable IMHO.

Elton
04-23-2007, 06:53 PM
well it sounds pretty dam easy i dont live in a area that things rust and i can get a a sawzall if needed so do i just cut the shock in half ? also is there any writeup's i thought i seen one

MTL_4runner
04-23-2007, 06:58 PM
You cut right through the rubber bushing (including the stud) at the top of the shock.
Once you do that and the bottom is free the shock will just fall out in your hands.

Elton
04-23-2007, 07:17 PM
sounds easy man i can wait to tear into it guess a little thread locker couldint hurt ?

Small_words
08-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Elton, I didn't have a Sawzall and I had a bunch of rust from living in Germany with my 4Runner. The top nut is a pain, but I had a strong friend grip the shock body with a set of channel lock pliers like Jamie recommended and we were able to break it loose. Soak the top nut with PB Blaster and you could also take a wire brush and clean the threads above the top nut. This won't make it easier to move initially, but makes it easier to move the top nut after you break it loose. As for tools, you don't need a spring compressor. If you disconnect the sway bar and pull the shocks, it's not difficult to get the springs in. Getting the new shocks in is also pretty easy, you can just use the floor jack to raise the axle back into position to connect the bottom eye bolt. I installed Steve Schaeffer's 7.2 and love it. I'm not much of an offroad guy and this is a perfect system to get me to and from trailheads in all seasons. I know you wrote this a while ago, but I thought I'd include my thoughts.

jrallan26
08-26-2008, 03:59 PM
On my D-cab (which is stock ride height) I enjoyed the ride so much, I went back to the stock Tokico.