PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear 4/27-4/29 camping

Seanz0rz
04-21-2007, 12:11 AM
so im going up the weekend of the 27, staying friday night, saturday night, and coming home sunday morning.

where should i camp? i was looking into the yellow post camp sites, should i do it? anyone here that has done it? http://www.bigbear.us/yellowpostcampsite.html

heres my list of stuff to bring:
tent
lantern
something to lay over the fire pit to cook on
cooking utinsels
food to cook
full first aid kit
lots of water
fire starting tools
toilet bucket

what am i forgetting? this is really roughing it, no bathrooms showers or any of the like. just a spot, bench, and a fire pit.

i am calling later in the week to find out what roads are closed/open.

also, if anyone would like to come along, they are welcome, but the point of this trip for me is to be alone. if other people come, we could go wheeling up there too, as i will also have all my tools with me. if no one comes, i wont offroad much for fear of getting stranded.

any ideas, etc that would help me, please post em up. i plan on doing this often, as im having a hard time with this city life, being stuck in a dorm thing.

Bob98SR5
04-21-2007, 12:50 AM
sorry, gonna have to miss this one and im bummed. i'll be in asia for 7 days beginning on the 28th

slosurfer
04-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Sounds like you have a pretty good list going. The yellow post sites are just fine. I would suggest spending the extra $$$ for the National Forest map along with the cheesy trail map. There are plenty of roads to explore there without getting into any "wheeling", you should have a great time. I can't make it as I have to go to a wedding on Sat. Not sure if you are allowed a fire or not at this time of year, but you will need to stop at one of the ranger stations to pick up a fire permit even if all you are using is a stove and lantern. You will also need the Adventure Pass if you are camping at the yellow posts or recreating anywhere.

Seanz0rz
04-21-2007, 12:12 PM
i have a season pass, purchased on the 1st of the year. im pretty sure its ok to have fires up there, but yes will need a permit for it.

any thing else? words of cauation, etc?

rattle snakes are a problem i know, it is spring and it iwill be warm when im up there. ill be wearing boots and jeans all the time.

food storage will be off a branch via a rope holding it out of bears reach. i will not put it in my truck, because thats retarted.

any other things? thanks for the suggestions

slosurfer
04-21-2007, 07:46 PM
I don't think the bears are bad up there. YOu should be fine with the food in the car.

Seanz0rz
04-21-2007, 10:38 PM
uh, not worth the risk... ill hang it. good pratice anyway.

not positive ill make it up there next weekend, depends if i can get all my crap together by then...

im going to go track down some cheep parachute cord next week, and other camping gear that i dont have, like a new tent. the old one is a bit warn and is no match for a modern tent.

salad_man
04-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Sorry buddy, wont be able to make this one... Next time hit me up pal

Seanz0rz
04-25-2007, 12:38 AM
yea im planing for next weekend now, im working this weekend, and just dont have the time to get all my crap together to go. next weekend is about a 99% chance of me going. small possibility of me working, but i seriously doubt it. friday is my day for tracking down all that i need, etc.

any one up for next weekend? im much more willing to make this a social event now than i was before. all are welcome. im going to book a real campsite with a bathroom and shower probably tomorrow for next weekend.

NakSuKow
09-28-2007, 09:50 AM
FYI

Stop by the ranger station and get a fire permit. By the letter of the law you are supposed to have one. Its good for one calendar year.

I also would bring a small shovel and a fire extinguisher.

The national forrest map is great as well. You can pick that up at the Big Bear discovery center.

Seanz0rz
09-28-2007, 08:45 PM
holy old thread batman!

im actually going up this weekend, just a family day trip thing tho.

next spring i will be going up there. thanks for the tips and welcome to the board.