PDA

View Full Version : 4th gen 4Runner: V8 vs V6

DHC6twinotter
10-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Hey all,

So, I'm thinking about buying a 4th gen 4Runner for my next vehicle, and I wanted to get your advice on the engine choices I have. I always told myself that if I bought a 4th gen, I would get it with the V8. However, now that I'm seriously considering one, the practical side of me is saying to get a V6. The V8 is a proven motor and is just plain cool. The V6 gets better gas mileage, and the part-time tcase is a major plus IMHO.

So, a few questions for you all:

1) What kind of gas mileage do you guys with the V8 get?
2) What kind of gas mileage do you guys with the V6 get?
3) Is the non vvti version of the 2uz an interference motor? (I know the vvti version is, but I'm not sure if the 2uz is like the 1uz where, AFAIK, the non vvti version is not an interference motor.)
4) Does the timing chain on the 1GR have regular service intervals?

I drove slosurfer's dcab taco a few years ago, and I was impressed with 1GR's power. Way better than my 3.0. However, the extra torque from the v8 would be really nice.

Anyways, I just wanted to get you all's opinions. Thanks.

MTL_4runner
10-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Honestly having driven both and as cool as the V8 is to have, unless you are towing a decent size trailer (ie more than 4,000 lbs) regularly I would stick with the 4.0L V6. Gas mileage is about 25% better, the timing chain has 3x the service interval of a timing belt, the all aluminum block/heads make it much less likely to blow a head gasket versus the iron/aluminum combo on the V8 and the oil filter position makes changing the oil a joke. There is plenty of torque for most people in the 1GR and it's far more practical to have as a DD. Just my $0.02 though.

Robinhood4x4
10-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Over the past 8 months my 2007 V6 has averaged 19.9 mpg with a mix of regular and premium gas. So far my study has shown no difference in mpg between regular and premium.

Crinale
10-07-2010, 11:01 PM
i agree with Jamie - the only reasons to get the v8 are really for hauling duties... the 4.0 puts out more power than most people would ever need,

and just imagine how much that 25% better gas mileage will save you when u finally drive your own truck out here for the Pismo Jambo :thumbup:

Lee
10-08-2010, 03:21 AM
My 06 V6 gets about 17 city and 21 hwy. This is with a small lift and slightly larger tires.

I love this engine, besides the annoying tick, it is really powerful and very smooth. Just make sure you get a 4runner with the 5-spd trans and you'll be good to go

DHC6twinotter
10-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the input guys! Just what I needed. I think the V6 is the way to go.

Jamie, good point about the aluminum block. I don't plan on towing much, except for maybe a small U-Haul trailer. The V6 would pull that fine.

Steve, was your fuel mileage calculation based on highway or city driving? I get 21-22mpg with my 2nd gen averaging 65mph on premium gas. I'd like to get as close to that as I can with a 4th gen.

Kevin, I would love to drive out to Pismo sometime. I'd really like to spend 3-4 months just traveling the U.S. Our family did it for 4 years back when I was younger, and I'm really getting the itch to see the U.S. again.

Lee, how common is the tick you are talking about? Is that just valve tick, or the pinging issue that someone brought up in another thread?

So, I guess the trick now is to find a lower mileage '05+ 4Runner for under 13 grand. Preferably a '06+ Sport, but that might not be feasible. :D

Robinhood4x4
10-08-2010, 06:54 PM
19.9 mpg is my average for all my driving which includes a daily 30 minute commute on surface streets and long trips here and there. And this is based on gas fill ups, not the computer.

I'm not sure which engine I'd get now. The power of the V6 is plenty, especially coming from a 2nd gen 4runner 3.0. However, the V8 is bombproof plus I'm thinking of getting a popup trailer. Sure the V6 would tow it just fine, but it would be nice to have a V8 in that case.

Lee
10-10-2010, 02:46 AM
The tick is on all the 4.0's. It isn't a ping it's just a tick it makes while running. Totally normal operation but if you are stopped by a wall or something w your windows down it's annoying :laugh:

Ric
10-12-2010, 11:12 PM
IMHO, if your concerned about fuel mileage, but a Honda, that being said, Ive got the V8 and absolutly LOVE it, with it loaded down, cargobox.sleeping platform, recovery gear, etc etc, I can do 85 up the mnt. passes if I want to, no problem, If I had to do if over again, Id get another V8 without doubt, as Im sure IF, I go with 35s, I wont have to regear, or thats the word on t120 site, lol

DHC6twinotter
10-13-2010, 04:26 AM
Ric, do you know what your fuel mileage is with the V8?

I don't plan on running 35s, but maybe 33s. And that would be a few years down the road.

Ric
10-13-2010, 07:37 AM
to be honest, no, I really dont, I did check it out when I first got it, but cant remember what the number was, lol, I always keep that computer thing on the "range" but remember, from my understanding, the gas out here (Denver) is different than most, we have Oxygenated fuel, I dont know what it is or what that means, lol a few people have told me that :headscratch:
Oh, and I do drive mine like a V8 :rofl:
I remember looking at the V8s and a couple sales reps said "there isnt much difference in the mileage to worry about, if you want a V8, get it, we have both, the V6 and the V8"
I was going to get the V8 regaurdless, lol

Lee
10-13-2010, 10:33 AM
if you care about gas mileage get a honda? hahah

ric, sorry man but there is quite a difference between v8 and v6 gas mileage (unless you drive like a madman in which case you're screwed either way!). I drove both before buying a V6 equipped 4Runner and while the V8 grunt is nice and certainly fun, if you aren't in desperate need of that torque (towing, big tires), then the V6 is plenty powerful and gets much better mileage, esp in the city (which is where I drive a majority of the time).

the V6's mileage is great for what it is, but it's no picnic. If I had a V8 I can imagine I'd be spending much more on gas than I do now, and since I never tow anything and don't anticipate that changing, I'd rather go with the better mileage V6 which I find to be more than enthusiastic off the line :)

I'd guess if you measured your mileage you wouldn't be near my 17-21 results.

Ric
10-13-2010, 10:40 AM
true,, but the bottom line is, we are talking about big heavy SUVs, so to worry about gas mileage, IMHO is just plain silly, if that was a factor, Id be driving a honda or something like it, lol
Just my .02

Good Times
10-13-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm kinda torn because I've got a v8 but my mpg is horrible... But I brought that upon myself so I am the only one to blame. I suspect if I didn't touch anything I'd be getting at least 13-16ish? (no clue honestly since it didn't stay stock for more than a few weeks).

As for the mpg battle, I'd say Ric does have a point about the mpg being a moot point since you're pushing something heavy down the highway but in all of the v6 owners defense I will note that I'm surprised at the collective numbers I've seen over the years on the near 20mpg pushing the brick. Never did I thought I'd see any suv get a decent mpg. I mean I drive my 2000 v6 accord and that thing barely gets 21mpg (I drive a lot of city streets) so when you think about how the v6 4runners gets close to 20mpg it really does make you think twice and go hhmmmmm maybe I'm driving the wrong car!!!

If the 100 series got me close to 20mpg I'd get that over my current daily driver :)

Dan, here's something to keep in mind w/ the 4th gens...
v6 - make sure you get the 5 A/T (05-09)
v8 - I think the vvti came out in 05 so I'd say get that one cuz it's "suppose" to be better. Not sure why but eh, I don't think you can go wrong w/ the 03-04 or the 05-09.

Screw the 4th gens... get the 5th gen! :P and if you want the v8 then get the GX version of the 5th gen!! woot woot :flipoff: It's only money right? :tongueout:

Ric
10-13-2010, 03:27 PM
hey all, today after talking about this (MPG)all my running around today, both city and highway, the way I drive :hillbill: and all my recovery gear/cargobox I averaged 18MPG... I was watching that little computer thing, lol

Im pretty sure, at a lower elevation and not having all the gear thats in my rig 24/7 it would be alot better, and PLEASE dont take my comments about "if your worried about gas mileage, buy a Honda" comments personal, I know that we all want the 4runners/SUVs but also want as good as mileage as possible, I personally never worried or even cared...

Im looking at getting a new or new 09 either Infiniti G37 or Nissan 370Z to be completely honest all the research Ive done so far, I havent even glanced at the MPGs, doesnt matter to me, lol

DHC6twinotter
10-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Someday, when I have a garage and more money, I'd like to build a "105" series Land Cruiser. 1HD-TE turbo diesel, 5 speed manual trans, and 80 series axles; all wrapped in a 100 series body. :drool: Or maybe build up a 70 series troop carrier. Then I'd have a manual IS300 or IS250 as a DD.

Unfortunately, that someday isn't now, and I know trying to find a fuel efficient SUV may sound contradictory, but I believe that is the best compromise. And I think the 4Runner is the most reliable option.

I'd also consider a '99 or '00 5spd 4Runner, but finding one with low enough miles has been really hard. The '05+ dcab Taco is another option, but those seem to be above my price range. The 4th gen seems to be the best bet.

If the 100 series got me close to 20mpg I'd get that over my current daily driver :)

Dan, here's something to keep in mind w/ the 4th gens...
v6 - make sure you get the 5 A/T (05-09)
v8 - I think the vvti came out in 05 so I'd say get that one cuz it's "suppose" to be better. Not sure why but eh, I don't think you can go wrong w/ the 03-04 or the 05-09.

Screw the 4th gens... get the 5th gen! :P and if you want the v8 then get the GX version of the 5th gen!! woot woot :flipoff: It's only money right? :tongueout:

Thanks for the info Lance. If I get a V6, I'll for sure try to find a '05+. For the V8, it doesn't really matter to me. There are pros and cons to both variations of the motor. AFAIK, the older 2uz is a non-interference motor, but I think the newer one with vvti puts out more power.

I would love a 5th gen, but can't afford one and I don't want car payments. I really don't like being tied down with payments. Right now, I don't owe anybody anything, and I can literally make two phone calls (cancel my phone service and car insurance) and move anywhere in the world within 48 hours. Just the way I like it. :D Maybe in 5 or 6 years I can pick up a used 5th gen. That would be awesome.

The GX460 has some nice features, but it's pretty ugly. If only Toyota put that V8 in the 4Runner. :drool:

Anyways, thanks again for the input guys. More thoughts are always welcome. :thumbup:

Ric
10-13-2010, 06:04 PM
I agree, either way your going to be happy :thumbup:

DHC6twinotter
10-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks Ric, I appreciate all your input.

Ric
10-13-2010, 06:20 PM
for sure :thumbup:

Robinhood4x4
10-13-2010, 06:53 PM
I averaged 18MPG... I was watching that little computer thing, lol

Yeah, but subtract about 2-3 mpg from the computer and you'll get the true reading.

Ric
10-13-2010, 07:13 PM
are they that off ? Im still running stock size tires

Robinhood4x4
10-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah thats what I've found and mine's completely stock. I would love to be getting the 22 that my computer says it's getting.

Lee
10-14-2010, 05:51 AM
Ric, sorry man I didn't mean to make it sound like you were being a jerk at all :laugh: I was just saying that mpg's DO factor in, in that for someone like me (mostly city driving, a-to-b, no towing), a V6 makes total sense and the improved gas mileage is a significant cost factor for me in that I am sure running at 13-17mpg vs 16-20+ would have an impact.

glad to hear your truck did well on the mpg's :) the computer in the truck drives me nuts bc if i reset it while im on the hwy for a half hour drive, it'll tell me i am averaging 25-26 mpg which is awesome to see, but it takes forever for it to average in the time off the highway thereafter.

Ric
10-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Oh no, Lee, I didnt take it that way all... :thumbup:

YotaFun
10-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Just to give a little .02 input.
I was talking to Dan about this in the chat the other day.

Guys here have been using the 4.0 to tow the trail rigs to and from the trails here all the time.
One guy has an 05 4Runner he uses to tow his 1st gen on 37s on a trailer through the hills of PA to the park and back home, I know his route and even my modified 4Runner with the 3.4 seems to have issues....
Another guy has an 05 Double cab that he tows his pickup on 37s every weekend to the park and does it just fine and he is on a trailer too.

The 4.0 has plenty of power to tow, and then when your not towing has the gas mileage you need around town....

arjan
03-18-2011, 08:46 PM
A bit late to this thread, but I have an 06 4R V8 nowadays and get a little over 300 miles to the tank in the winter here.

I like the sound of the vvti on a fairly regular basis, so the mileage could be quite a bit better.
My wife used to get better mileage with it (20-30 mile per tank I guess).

I don't really care for the milage, don't drive that much nowadays.

DHC6twinotter
03-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the input arjan.

I should probably update this thread. :hillbill:

I'm no longer in the market for a 4th gen. I picked up a 2000 4Runner 5spd a few months back, and I'll probably just drive this for 5 years or so, then buy a used 5th gen or Tacoma.

I really appreciate everybody's input! You all are great! Thanks!

kafene
10-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Someone on this forum told me exactly what to get, a 2004 V8 SR5. I ended up with that exact model (except mine was a Sport w/ the XREAS suspension). I got this specifically so I can take my truck off-roading. I remember when I was contemplating my Taco between 2x or 4x and got the 2x because it made "more sense" at the time. Well, I ended up trading it in for the V8 4X. I now try to get what I will NOT regret later on. V8 might get a little worse gas, but I will never complain about the performance. DONE. (but then again, it's also not my daily driver! ;)

Just think about what your ultimate goal is for the truck. If you think you'll possibly modify it with larger wheels and accessories, I'd go with the V8.

kafene.

paddlenbike
10-24-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm no longer in the market for a 4th gen. I picked up a 2000 4Runner 5spd a few months back

I wonder when these 3rd gens will become collector's items. ;)