PDA

View Full Version : Rocko's Random Gun Talk Thread.

04 Rocko Taco
10-27-2010, 03:38 AM
This thread will be a place where we can ask random gun questions, advice on buying new or used weaponry, ammo choices, cleaning, maintenance, parts, or anything else that crosses your little addled brain.

I will try to keep any other relevant threads linked here for Quick Access:

My Electrolysis Cleaning Thread: Here. (http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthread.php?7924-Mil-Surp-Rifle-Cleaning-Electrolysis-Method)

04 Rocko Taco
10-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Okay guys - I have recently acquired a 1976 Marlin Glenfield Model 60. It needed a LOT of cleaning, it looked like someone has tried to stuff it full of modeling clay. ANyway, I got it clean, but have an issue. I need a disconnecter spring. I called Marlin Firearms yesterday and spoke with a guy in their parts department and he said he wasn't sure it would work, and since shipping would be approx 3 times the price of the part, he would ship it out free of charge, which is great. But what I really am asking for here is:

Does anyone have an "old style" Marlin Model 60? It doesn't necessarily have to be a Glenfield, just a, lets say, pre mid 80's Marlin Model 60. I am looking for some detailed pictures of the action assembly. I figure with it being the "most popular .22 in the world" the chances of someone here having one are pretty good. Please let me know. Thanks guys!!

CJM
10-27-2010, 12:08 PM
numrich gun parts might have it Chris, I would give thier site a look as they usually carry old, outdated parts and have diagrams.

04 Rocko Taco
10-27-2010, 12:51 PM
They do have an exploded diagram of the old style Model 60, but it doesn't show what I need. Numrich also does have the spring I need, I am thinking of going ahead and picking one up instead of waiting on a 'maybe' from Marlin. What I am really looking for is someone who can get me pictures of the action assembly in thier Model 60. I know exactly how the disconnecter spring was placed in my rifle, but I am not sure that it is correct. I saw a picture on Brownells site, it looks SORT of like mine did, but it was also of a newer style.

04 Rocko Taco
11-01-2010, 11:00 AM
I found a walkthrough guide of tearing it down, that picture should work. Looks like I pretty much had the right idea anyway.

04 Rocko Taco
09-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Okay guys - Newest addition to Rockos gun thread....

School me on mid range AR style rifles.
Looking for a "cheap" AR, but dont want the proverbial "bottom of the bucket" crap. I want something decent, but on a budget, nothing high end.

Currently for lack of better knowledge or options, I am looking at the Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786006_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
MSRP - 739.00 so retail should come in below that.
I am looking for something in a 5.56 chamber. What do you guys think?

Robinhood4x4
09-28-2011, 06:51 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big name manufacturers these days, especially for ARs. Are you going to be using it for plinking or will you be taking it to a carbine course or law enforcement duties?

There's also this from Buds gun shop $572 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/61626

It was posted on slickdeals.

4x4mike
09-28-2011, 08:25 AM
I've looked at the Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport and I like it. I of course don't need it but have considered it. I've got buddies, some LE, that have some really high end setups but there isn't much about them that warrant an additional $1000. Nice thing about the AR platform is that there is so much you can do with them. My plan is to get one, one day. Shoot it then modify as necessary.

04 Rocko Taco
09-28-2011, 01:00 PM
This will be for general purpose shooting. Mostly poking holes in inanimate objects. But it'll be nice to have come SHTF time.
I like the plan of buying an off the shelf and modding as needed down the road, but am beginning to think more about an AR build.

I like the look and the price of the S&W Sport, and I know the M&P series are decent rifles, I have a couple of buddies who have them.
I dont need a ton of tacti-cool accesories and stuff. Just a good shooter.

I won't start down the road with AR build questions in here just yet, for now I'll stick with off the shelf stuff.

randver
09-29-2011, 02:17 AM
the M&P15 is a good choice. and that price is 200 less then what they sell for here in cali.

but building it is always more fun. i built mine. im thinking about buying a complete upper with a 24" barrel to swap on then building a 2nd lower for it later.

fenrisx
12-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Figured I'd bump this thread since I'm surprised there isn't more gun talk going on here... other than what's going on in the Christmas thread!

Sounds like stuff might happen in January? Looks like I might not get the privilege of spending my tax return on something I didn't want until I found out I might be able to have it!

Still plan on getting my carry license and (probably) a S&W Shield in 40. I've been hearing a lot of good things about the gun and it's trigger. Capacity isn't there..but it's a thin gun that I would probably be more likely to carry than I would a double stack mag gun like the Glock 27(26 or 33[previously owned]) or XDm 3.8 compact...

Seen a 14" Mossy 590A1 shotgun that I also have my eye on for some good 'ol fashioned home defense.

Chris I know you just got a 1911 from Santa, any shooting time with it yet?

Robinhood4x4
12-28-2012, 09:02 AM
We had some fun yesterday.

http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-4sGvHVV/0/L/i-4sGvHVV-L.jpg

http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-mfcGMpV/0/L/i-mfcGMpV-L.jpg

http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-qwT4sLs/0/L/i-qwT4sLs-L.jpg

http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-Pgcz9qv/0/L/i-Pgcz9qv-L.jpg

http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-nhCKs79/0/L/i-nhCKs79-L.jpg

http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-7L5j7Mj/0/L/i-7L5j7Mj-L.jpg

http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-3Ftz9Gd/0/L/i-3Ftz9Gd-L.jpg

Crinale
12-28-2012, 01:42 PM
1911's are nice... I would love to have one

4x4mike
12-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Nice pics.
Except for a couple shotguns and a long gun I have what I want but who knows what is going to happen in January.

I bought an LC9 earlier in the year and I like it quite a bit. It's the perfect size, light, thin and with as little as a Techna Clip it's totally consealable and easy to wear. The Sheild looks nice but it came out after I bought the LC9 and I think it's only LE and military in CA.

troyboy162
12-28-2012, 08:14 PM
I shot a rugar lcr this weekend and have a new respect for revolvers. Its time to buy anything right now it seems like

fenrisx
12-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Yeah... I don't like all this January talk! I might see if my dad will loan me some $$ until I get my tax return, so I can go ahead and buy a few things. I don't think I have to worry too much about not being able to pickup a Shield after all of this since it doesn't hold over 10 rounds anyways.. but who knows.

It's too bad all the 'black rifle' prices are so inflated right now(for those that actually have any), or I'd pick one up. I really want a Springfield M1A Socom, but those things are $$$ even at normal pricing.

My plan right now is a S&W M&P Shield in 40, and Mossberg 590A1 14", and a rifle of some sort. AR style, or just a bolt action.

I like what the company Brass Stacker is doing with old Mosin Nagants (I love the Scout style rifles):
http://brassstacker.com/images/D/127.jpg

Robinhood4x4
12-29-2012, 10:54 AM
If you guys are concerned about the future, then I'd recommend you focus on things that are potentially going to be banned. Revolvers small handguns, and bolt actions won't be a high priority, but the evil looking guns and standard capacity magazines will be.

Get magazines for any guns you're thinking of getting in the future.

fenrisx
12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah... I'm tempted to buy a few Glock 30rd magazines just for the hell of it.. I could see myself buying another Glock in the future.

REALISTICALLY if I were to buy an AR with my tax return.. that's going to cut into it enough that if I were to buy a pistol or shotgun as well... I pretty much don't have much left to put towards a down payment on a house.

I'd rather get my carry gun, and a shotgun for the house... and buy a house.. than get an AR that I only want because they're more-than-likely going to be banned..and no house. :)

Robinhood4x4
12-29-2012, 05:53 PM
A house certainly does come first.

randver
12-29-2012, 10:35 PM
i have been working on my fireball spell since all the other ammo costs way to much right now if you can get any.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee94/docadw/gun%20stuff/fireball.png

xonetruthcrewx
12-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Nice pics.
Except for a couple shotguns and a long gun I have what I want but who knows what is going to happen in January.

I bought an LC9 earlier in the year and I like it quite a bit. It's the perfect size, light, thin and with as little as a Techna Clip it's totally consealable and easy to wear. The Sheild looks nice but it came out after I bought the LC9 and I think it's only LE and military in CA.

CA Approved S&W Shields are now available. But the availability is zero on them. Haha.

4x4mike
12-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Seems my luck. I've had a good time with the Ruger. Trigger is a problem for most people but I don't mind it. I may look into a replacement but it seems there is still a long stiff pull.

04 Rocko Taco
12-31-2012, 05:12 PM
YI like what the company Brass Stacker is doing with old Mosin Nagants (I love the Scout style rifles):
http://brassstacker.com/images/D/127.jpg

:bangdesk: Please dont do that.

Mosins are fun as hell just the way they are. Get you a cheap 91/30 and have a ball, or if like others in this thread you have a fireball fetish get you an M44. :)

I have a pair of 91/30's, they are some of my favorite guns.

I did get to spend a small amount of trigger time with my new midsize 1911, and I like it so far, action is tight, but smooth as butter, we will see how it is after break in (around 500 rds).

I love the pictures above! We spent some time this saturday stretching out trigger fingers as well, shot a few of my favorite rifles, and shot a lot of skeet, and as mentioned, got some time with the new 1911.

fenrisx
01-01-2013, 12:24 PM
:bangdesk: Please dont do that.

Eh.. if it were some high value collectible, I definitely wouldn't do that. But those Mosin's are so cheap, and in such an abundance, I wouldn't mind hacking one up. I also like that style. Might need to get both.. mod one, keep one stock. :)

fenrisx
01-03-2013, 05:23 PM
To buy a Norinco SKS, or not to buy? That is the question...

fenrisx
01-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Also, I recommend those of you who are against any type of weapons ban to at least consider doing the below if nothing else (taken from: Assault Weapons Ban 2013 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDglpt8hpyg&feature=share&list=UUZ-qxagOkAmCEP-Tu6YliUQ#ws))...

This link will take you to a Congressional website where you can quickly and easily email your Senators, Congressmen and the President: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/mail/?alertid=61046526&type=ML

You may use this message to send to your Senators, Congressmen and the President:

----------------

Greetings,

Due to the recent events at Sandy Hook elementary school we now face renewed threats to our Constitutional rights. While I understand how painful the loss must be for those touched by this tragedy, blaming firearms or their owners and punishing them is not the answer to the challenges we face as a nation.

We already have laws that were violated by a man who was likely psychotic and heavily medicated. This man was stopped by the mandatory background check from purchasing firearms. He then decided to murder his mother and take her legally owned firearms to commit this tragedy.

If your true goal is to protect our children, then enact legislation that will do that. Banning firearms that are rarely used in crime (less than 1% of the time) is not going to stop such tragedies, that was proven in 1999 when the Columbine shooting took place under the 1994 ban. Do something meaningful, please. Make committing the insane easier. Put armed security guards in our schools. But do not strip us of our rights and property by passing additional anti-gun laws that have historically had no positive effect on crime in our nation or others.

Thank you.

Crinale
01-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Just did exactly that... Unfortunately, my senators will most likely not listen, since one is one of the main proponents of all this (Feinstein), and the other (Boxer) usually votes along with Feinstein >.< Hopefully my representatives will however, as they tend to be a little more receptive to suggestions.

fenrisx
01-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Just did exactly that... Unfortunately, my senators will most likely not listen, since one is one of the main proponents of all this (Feinstein), and the other (Boxer) usually votes along with Feinstein >.< Hopefully my representatives will however, as they tend to be a little more receptive to suggestions.

Yeah... I got automated responses back... by the time they read them, if they even do, the ban will probably already be in place. [not that it'll really make a difference anyhow]

Robinhood4x4
01-03-2013, 08:54 PM
I've actually gotten responses back from my representatives sometimes, so keep it up.

04 Rocko Taco
01-03-2013, 09:50 PM
I have written several emails to my senators and congressman, and am foloowing up tomorrow with an actual written letter. So far just automated repsonses, but I just have to hope someone is reading them. Not that I think I have anything to worry about from my guys. they each received a score of 0 from The Brady Campaign, and a score of 92 from the NRA.

fenrisx
01-04-2013, 06:52 PM
To buy a Norinco SKS, or not to buy? That is the question...

The guy sold it tonight. :( I was thinking about picking it up tomorrow if he still had it.

*Found another I might be picking up. Also placed an order for a few 33, 17, 15, and 12rd Glock 9mm magazines. Let see if the place actually gets them in stock before the *potential* ban.

Bob98SR5
01-07-2013, 10:10 PM
can anyone recommend a complete AR-15 parts kit? Looking for something like M4 style with rail system to mount like a reflex sight and that's about it.

04 Rocko Taco
01-08-2013, 12:42 AM
you looking for a complete rifle Bob? Or a rifle kit, where it has everything except a stripped lower?

Or something in between?

And are you looking for somewhere that has one in stock right now? or just recomendati0ns on good places to look?

4x4mike
01-08-2013, 06:40 AM
I think a complete kit would just be an entire rifle. If I were you I'd get at least a lower. The prices are inflated and maybe hard to find but it will be what you need to get started. I went to two shops this past weekend and they had next to nothing. It was one of the larger shops and pretty much the place to go around here and they had 4 lowers and 3 complete AR's.
The for sale board near the bathroom was full of guns selling above retail. Unless you've got money to spend I'd wait on an entire gun.

fenrisx
01-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Yeah.. prices are definitely steep right now. People wanting several hundred for a stripped lower. I found one on Armslist a few days ago for $275.. cheapest one I've seen in a week or so.

Bob98SR5
01-08-2013, 04:14 PM
i have the lower only.

ok sounds like i have to wait til the hysteria is over

04 Rocko Taco
01-08-2013, 06:11 PM
you have a stripped lower? so you need a lower parts kit, and an upper, correct?

4x4mike
01-08-2013, 06:33 PM
The new CTD (catalog #601) came today and the prices are not reflexive of the current market.

Old retail prices show:
DPMS 5.56 complete build kit (everything except the stripped lower), 16" = $600
JSE 5.56 complete M4 kit (everything except the stripped lower), 16" = $630

Low price for just a 5.56 or .223 upper was ~$450.

For current day you'd probably have to add 40% or more. Stock on hand is the bigger issue.

This issue also has a loose 1000 pack of Federal American Eagle 55g, .223 for $400. Today I was reading that at a gun show this past weekend 1000 rounds of .223 was going for a grand. Some guys are unloading it because they had tons and the market sky rocketed. They're buying more guns with sold ammo money and still sitting on mounds of ammo and empty brass.

Bob98SR5
01-08-2013, 08:33 PM
i have an unmilled lower right now. that's it.

mike thanks for the info. i have no idea of the brands or kits that are good.

Robinhood4x4
01-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Personally, I'd at least get an upper on back order now, assuming it's close to normal price. And when I say now, I mean last week. Nobody knows what the ban will look like as they might even ban uppers. Who knows? If you get an upper on order now, at least it's in line and you might get it in time and you're not out much more money than if you bought one a year ago.

Brownells has a dpms complete upper for $495 that you can back order.

As an example of how fast things are moving right now, I put a dedicated .22 upper on back order at midway on 12-30-12, and now they're not even accepting back orders. Actually, they're not accepting backorders on any AR stuff right now.

Palmetto State Armory had a complete lower parts kit(stock and buffer tube) in stock 2 days ago and less than 16 hours later they were sold out.

We were just coming back down from the last panic so it's going to be a few years before thing come back down to the new normal.

Crinale
01-09-2013, 11:11 PM
looks like no AR for me... I can't afford these new inflated prices >.<

04 Rocko Taco
01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
yeah, Im surprised anyone can, I am sitting okay on ammo and supplies, so I didnt participate in panic buying, other than trying to snatch up a few extra pmags.

I've got right around 1K rounds of .223 and about 500 in every other caliber I shoot except .22, and we've got about 5K of that.

Not nearly as much as I would like of any of it, but it will have to do.

fenrisx
01-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I've got about 0 rounds of everything. I've been too busy to turn in my 'permit to purchase' paperwork so I can get a handgun... the guy I'm buying the SKS from rescheduled for tomorrow... and the Glock magazine I ordered are still on backorder. Sad day.

Crinale
01-10-2013, 09:36 PM
All I have is about 250 rounds of .308, but that's currently my only gun.

randver
01-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Ammo? I have no guns or ammo.

04 Rocko Taco
01-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Ammo? I have no guns or ammo.

I have lots of ammo, unfortunately, I lost all my guns in a horrible canoe accident. :flipoff:

randver
01-15-2013, 08:58 PM
hate when that happens

04 Rocko Taco
01-15-2013, 11:42 PM
For some reason it seemed like a good idea at the time, now looking back, I just cant fathom what I was thinking taking all of my guns canoeing with me that day.

04 Rocko Taco
01-17-2013, 05:07 AM
I originally posted here about the Executive Orders signed by President Barack Obama, but after some thought decided that the information deserved its own thread, both to do it justice and not completely derail this one.

So go over HERE (http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=10329.0) and Discuss. :hillbill:

fenrisx
01-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Feinstein introduced her ban today yesterday... lets hope for the best.

California.. why don't you help the rest of the US out and get her out of there. :P

troyboy162
01-25-2013, 05:59 PM
We would but the cities love shizzle bags. Its a amazingly diverese people in Cali. She wouldnt even be hired to be a crossing guard in any of the desert towns. She's a discrace.

CJM
01-25-2013, 06:36 PM
its amazing she isnt dead yet shes like 80 years old..

Michael Clark Duncan dies yet she lives..strange world we live in.

Good Times
01-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Bob,

You'll want a LPK (Lower Parts Kit) which includes pretty much everything you need to complete your lower receiver. After that you'll want to customize it with your own stock + buffer tube (pick a style/design that works for you) and then add an upper receiver.

There's plenty of branded LPK's out there. Technically speaking any LPK will do but naturally there are "better" ones out there. If you really want to go bling, you can even go with a super high end trigger trip by Geissele (http://geissele.com/).

The AR15 is really a no nonsense build. So many options but really it's all the same. You're just basically changing the look and feel but it still shoots the same for the most part.

Noveske or Daniel Defense are higher end AR products so if you're looking at premium you can't go wrong there. But it comes at a hefty cost.

i have an unmilled lower right now. that's it.

mike thanks for the info. i have no idea of the brands or kits that are good.

fenrisx
01-29-2013, 09:28 PM
:( My gun plans are probably on hold. Not getting back anywhere near as much on my tax return as I have the past few years... was hoping to get a gun or 3 and have some $$ to put toward a down payment. Looks like I might not even have enough for the down payment portion either. :|

Heres to hopin' they don't ban things so I can get them next year!

fenrisx
01-29-2013, 09:34 PM
side note... GO WYOMING!

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/1/wyoming-pro-gun-reforms-advance.aspx

Robinhood4x4
02-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Looky what UPS delivered today.

http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-dPkngn4/0/L/i-dPkngn4-L.jpg

This is the palmetto state armory lower kit that they had in stock a few weeks ago. It'll be for a dedicated .22 build.

fenrisx
02-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Finally turned in the paperwork for a permit to purchase... should see it in the mail within 2 weeks. I had to go to the City Hall in downtown Minneapolis just to turn it in.. what a pain.

I may not have the funds to get everything I wanted, but I still plan on getting a Glock 19, Glock 26, or S&W Shield... will ultimately depend on what I can find locally for a good price.

fenrisx
02-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Went to a small gun show today... got the last NIB Glock 19 Gen4 they had aside from the display model. No fancy pictures.. just a poorly lit, and over processed, cell phone pic for now.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8374/8484119606_6397dc903f_c.jpg

Good Times
02-17-2013, 05:43 PM
cool toy! not a glock fan but I know a lot of peeps who die and swear by em. :)

fenrisx
02-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks. I wasn't a fan at first either, but I am now.

My first gun was a Glock 33, that I mainly purchased on a whim because I didn't have enough $$ for what I originally wanted.. a Sig P239 SAS (two tone w/ wood grips). So I feel like I went from one end of the spectrum to the other...polymer vs steel.. striker vs hammer fired.. and yes differnt cartridges.

Main thing that sold me, other than being able to afford it, was that my brother loved his Glock's, and the .357 Sig catridge intrigued me. I still like the .357 Sig round, but I like the price of 9mm much better. I want to be able to practice this time.

I must say the gun looks much better in person... I feel most pictures of the Glock make them look ugly.

Time to order my Crossbreed SuperTuck iwb holster.. and then sign up for a carry course, which is required in order to get a carry permit here in MN.

Crinale
02-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Awesome!

fenrisx
02-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Only been to the range with it twice so far... and to add to that, only 150 rounds. Going again on Wednesday during my lunch break to put another 100 through it.

Need to work on the technique!

It's not fun paying $20/box for 9mm at the range, knowing I *could* get a box for $15 at places like WalMart IF they had it in stock.. which they don't. I see reloading equipment in my future.

Robinhood4x4
02-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Reloading equipment is scarce right now too. I figure I'm not buying any ammo related stuff for at least 6 months to a year.

4x4mike
02-25-2013, 10:21 PM
I'm in the same boat Steve. I've reduced my outings a lot just because there is no ammo available for purchase at reasonable prices. Sure the ranges are empty but it's because everyone is at home on the internet while sitting on their piles of bullets.

My Dad and I have thought about reloading but we really don't shoot that much to warrant decent equipment. Not to mention equipment and supplies are scarce and/or expensive. I'd say, percentage wise, my stash has increased in value more than any investment I own in the past six months.

Crinale
02-26-2013, 01:24 PM
At the gun show in my town last weekend, the bulk ammo was sold out within 2 hours of the start (and it probably would have been faster if they had more than 2 registers as they had a line out the door).

fenrisx
02-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Ranges aren't empty up here! Hour and a half wait for a lane on Saturday.. and even during lunch on the preceding Wednesday it was almost full. Hopefully tomorrow isn't packed so I can shoot over lunch again.

Robinhood4x4
02-28-2013, 08:40 PM
My Dad and I have thought about reloading but we really don't shoot that much to warrant decent equipment. Not to mention equipment and supplies are scarce and/or expensive.

Well, there are a couple more reasons it's good to reload, other than cost. 1) You can tailor the loads to optimize accuracy or recoil. The .40 bullets I shoot for competition and practice are powder puffs and recoil less than a 9mm. For rifle, I can dial in the load recipe until I get much better accuracy than off the shelf stuff. 2) Psychologically, you feel that the bullets don't cost as much, so you don't feel guilty about shooting. Contrary to popular belief, reloading is not cheaper than factory stuff because you end up shoot 10x more :D. But then, that's a good thing because all practice is good. In all seriousness, the savings really are significant.

You also don't necessarily need to spend a lot on a reloader if you don't shoot too much. I'd say, if you only shoot less than 1500 rounds a year, then you can get by with a single stage reloader. If you shoot more than that, then you're a good candidate for a progressive.

Oh, and reducing my outings to the range? That's inconceivable :D. (I have enough reloading components to last me at least a year, maybe more)

04 Rocko Taco
03-05-2013, 02:41 AM
Good find Cody! I'm jealous.

Waiting on my crossbreed for the 4" 1911 as well.

I'm wanting to get into reloading, just got to wait and find a deal on equipment in a year or so.

Nick
03-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Boy oh boy is ammo scarce around here. Never thought I'd see the day when I couldn't get .22LR ANYWHERE.

I went to Cabellas the other day and they had NOTHING for pistol ammo. They had a few boxes of .32HR, .32 Auto, some 10mm, and .380. That - was - it. Even the oddball calibers are gone.

Glad I'm very well stocked on .22LR and 9mm. Only have a few boxes of .40S&W, guess I'll sit on those for a while and won't be shooting my Glock 27 anytime soon.

4x4mike
03-06-2013, 05:27 PM
All the shops around here have looked the same since November. For the first time in months a place local to me had a small supply of handgun ammo so I bought a box of 9mm and .45 to the tune of $70. I still haven't seen .22lr for awhile but hear the big boxes are going for quite a bit of money.

fenrisx
03-09-2013, 09:33 AM
I just got a confirmation email saying all my Glock factory magazines are shipping. Woohoo. Now if I could find ammo for it lol.

slosurfer
04-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Got a GFYDF5.56 (the DF stands for our favorite gun grabbing Senator, you can figure out the rest)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Knives/GFYDF/IMG_20130327_203048_zps8993b469.jpg

Seanz0rz
04-06-2013, 08:57 PM
:like!: Man, I want one! I guess I will have to wait a little while though!

troyboy162
04-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Nice! Love the long sight radius!

slosurfer
04-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I had to have a rifle length sight radius for my first one. Here it is with the A2 stock, when I duracoat the upper and lower, I may duracoat the A2 stock and put it back on.
(magazine in the picture is stripped of all parts)
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/Knives/GFYDF/IMG_2020_zps42c5d876.jpg

Good Times
04-07-2013, 11:20 AM
sexy!!! definitely lookin good there :)

Robinhood4x4
04-27-2013, 06:20 PM
As an example of how fast things are moving right now, I put a dedicated .22 upper on back order at midway on 12-30-12, and now they're not even accepting back orders. Actually, they're not accepting backorders on any AR stuff right now.

Palmetto State Armory had a complete lower parts kit(stock and buffer tube) in stock 2 days ago and less than 16 hours later they were sold out.

Looky what UPS delivered today.
(pic snipped)
This is the palmetto state armory lower kit that they had in stock a few weeks ago. It'll be for a dedicated .22 build.

Well, everything has come together now. This is the Tactical Solutions dedicated upper with a PSA MOE LPK and a Primary Arms 1-4x scope (same scope as the Millet, but $100 cheaper). It seems to like Winchester Dynapoint the best, which coincidentally or not, is the same ammo my 10/22 likes. At 50 yards it'll do a 1" group.

http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-4wXpQzR/0/L/i-4wXpQzR-L.jpg

http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-wX9PdSp/0/L/i-wX9PdSp-L.jpg

slosurfer
05-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Steve, how do you like that scope? I plan on building a 300AC upper for pig hunting here and was thinking a 4x scope would work good here. Just curious how it's worked for you

Robinhood4x4
05-05-2013, 09:02 PM
The scope itself is ok, but I wasn't expecting much for a $120 scope. The optics aren't as crisp as more expensive scopes and there's a lot of distortion as you look across the field of view.

Functionally, it works just fine. I'm using this gun for our local Tac .22 match which consists of shooting steel targets ranging from 25 yards away to 100 yards away, all while running and gunning. For the close up stuff, I usually leave the magnification around 2x and for the medium to long range stage I keep it at about 3x. Even close up, our targets are kinda small so I haven't seen the need to go down to 1x yet. Target acquisition is pretty quick, but I haven't used a red dot too much so I can't compare.

A couple years ago, I went javelina hunting with a 2x or 3x scope mounted on a handgun (Contender chambered in 223-7mm) and the magnification seemed about right, but then a handgun is way more shaky than a rifle.

Personally, I think I'd want a 3-9x for hunting with a rifle, that way I have the option of longer range shots. The 1-4x, is good for up to 100-150 yards. I used to use a 3-9x for tac .22 on my 10/22 and I could still acquire the close up targets easily enough.

slosurfer
06-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Got my first pig! Not a very big one, but a small pig is better than no pig :) Probably just going to slow roast it over some coals on the grill in two halves. I am still collecting parts to build a 300 blackout upper for pig hunting but my .223 was plenty for this one.
I was working on a ranch and had a chance to go hunting one morning and jumped at the chance, I was back working by 10 after getting it all skinned, halved, and in the cooler.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/slosurfer27/2013-06-19_09-08-09_492_zpsd7b643e8.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/slosurfer27/media/2013-06-19_09-08-09_492_zpsd7b643e8.jpg.html)

Seanz0rz
06-23-2013, 08:19 PM
your pig is leaking...

troyboy162
06-23-2013, 08:47 PM
have you had one before? how do they taste?

Good Times
06-23-2013, 10:10 PM
mmm looks yummy!!! jealous that you got to go out and have fun!! :)

slosurfer
06-24-2013, 06:31 AM
have you had one before? how do they taste?

Yes, I've had wild boar, very good eating. At Surf n Turf, there were a couple years where a group would bring one and cook it over coals on the beach. It was delicious!

4x4mike
06-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Nice pig Chris. So did it drop pretty easy? All the guys I know that hunt pigs have stories of how hard it can be to drop a big pig. Even then I'm not sure the big ones taste all that well.

slosurfer
06-24-2013, 08:01 PM
First shot (straight through the mouth), dropped it. I rushed and missed two follow up shots while it was flopping on the ground, trying to finish it off and get it still before it started rolling down the hill into the brush. I forgot I needed to aim low on those two since I was zeroed for 300 meters and this was at 70
meters. 4th shot put it down. The guide did have a bigger caliber with him in case we ran into a big one. With the bigger ones, it definitely needs to have well placed shots.

troyboy162
06-24-2013, 08:07 PM
this was a guided trip? youve peeked my interest lol. How much does something like this cost? do they offer butcher and packing services?

slosurfer
06-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Yes and no, LOL! I was working on a custom house on a ranch that they do guided pig hunts from time to time. I would stay out there most nights instead of coming home because the commute and mileage was so long and I happened to be there during one of their hunts. In the evenings, I would end up hanging out with the owner and his friends who were helping guide. I hit it off with them and he told me he would take me one morning after the group was gone. Left at 5am and I was back working on his house by 10am LOL!
I don't know how much he charges and I kind of think it's more of something he just does for groups, and his friends/aquaintances. I think it's something like $500 for a two day hunt and then another $200 if you want to stay in the hunting house. They gut, skin, and halve the pig for you, but I think it is up to you to transport to a butcher shop. Mine is small enough that I am just going to slow roast the two halves, so no butcher needed. He also showed me/helped me skin mine and I pretty much skinned the one that his buddy got that same morning. I was just as excited to learn how to do that as I was about hunting.

Robinhood4x4
06-25-2013, 06:36 PM
I take it this was an AR? What sights did you end up using?

slosurfer
06-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Iron sights

4x4mike
06-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Your iron sights are zeroed at 300 yards? I'd need a big target at that distance. My eyes aren't what they used to be plus they are spoiled by magnified scopes.

slosurfer
06-26-2013, 07:24 AM
That's the way I was taught. Zero it at 25 meters and you have your 300 meter zero. Here is a condensed version of why to zero at 25meters with the .223 "Using a 55 grain bullet and a 25 yard zero, the bullet is never 3 ¾ inches above or below the point of aim out to 300 yards. The bullet also crosses zero at just past 250 yards. Therefore the point blank range for the .223 is from 0 to 300 yards. To kill a deer you simply aim at the imaginary 8” circle and pull the trigger, with no hold over or under to worry about. Before you trade in your old .35 Remington remember that while the .223 shoots flat, it is still only a .22 caliber. It is the minimum sized, legal cartridge for deer, and many experienced hunters however would consider it a poor choice." from here (http://www.modeerhunter.com/stories/zero.aspx) 50/250 is another good way to do it, I am just used to the 300 meter way and I know that my yardage knob adjustments should be dead on to what I am used to. Marines qualify out to 500 meters, so it can be done. Peep sights are amazing

4x4mike
06-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Cool. 99% of my rifle shooting (except shot gun) has been through a scope. Nicer sights would make it easier especially for what you described above. I poke holes in paper and not animals so number shots taken isn't as important as putting food in the freezer. I've been looking at a few bolt action .223 rifles for some longer distance, more accurate shots at the range but am not locked into 223.

04 Rocko Taco
10-29-2013, 10:38 PM
That's the way I was taught. Zero it at 25 meters and you have your 300 meter zero. Here is a condensed version of why to zero at 25meters with the .223 "Using a 55 grain bullet and a 25 yard zero, the bullet is never 3 ¾ inches above or below the point of aim out to 300 yards. The bullet also crosses zero at just past 250 yards. Therefore the point blank range for the .223 is from 0 to 300 yards. To kill a deer you simply aim at the imaginary 8” circle and pull the trigger, with no hold over or under to worry about. Before you trade in your old .35 Remington remember that while the .223 shoots flat, it is still only a .22 caliber. It is the minimum sized, legal cartridge for deer, and many experienced hunters however would consider it a poor choice." from here (http://www.modeerhunter.com/stories/zero.aspx) 50/250 is another good way to do it, I am just used to the 300 meter way and I know that my yardage knob adjustments should be dead on to what I am used to. Marines qualify out to 500 meters, so it can be done. Peep sights are amazing

Way behind the times, but incredibly good info here Chris! thanks a ton!

04 Rocko Taco
10-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Okay, so I am on the hunt for a new 1911.

I really want one in 10mm this time I think.

Any real world experience from you guys with the 10mm cartridge?

I've shot a couple of glocks, and one 1911 in 10mm, and I have a want for one really bad.

Right now I am considering the RIA 10mm. Just not sure if I want a 1911, or thier '2011' tactical model....

opinions? Only real difference is the 2011 has a rail underneath the front, which I think is cool, but I cant really think of what I need to hang under a 10mm 1911. Especially if I intened to carry it.

I do currently carry my midsize 4.5" bbl 1911 everyday in an Old Faithful IWB.

slosurfer
01-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Chris, did you end up finding a nice 1911?

I brought this beauty home tonight. My Xmas present. .. 30.06 Tikka T3 Lite with a Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II scope.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/05/eda2e7ud.jpg

Sent from my tappy tappy thingy

4x4mike
01-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Very nice Chris. Have you scheduled your next pig hunt? That ought (har har) to fit the bill nicely.

troyboy162
01-04-2014, 09:49 PM
sweet! I have a 300 WSM Tikka T3. Awesome factory triggers!!!!

I kinda dig that RIA 2011 but purely for the looks. I think its the only "2011" single stack so thats pretty cool in itself.

slosurfer
01-04-2014, 10:17 PM
No hunts planned yet... If it rains anytime soon and I get a day off, I will head out to Pozo area to hike around and maybe get lucky, otherwise I need to start planning some trips. Hoping to do some out of state hunts this year.

Troy, definitely a nice trigger, can't wait to go shoot her!

sent from my tappy, tappy, tappity, tap, tap, tap thing

04 Rocko Taco
01-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Chris - that Tikka looks sweet, my buddy has a nice Tikka in 308. Sweet shooter.

I'm still procrastinating on the new 10mm 1911.

fenrisx
01-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Bought 500rds of 9mm recently, and two Glock 17rd magazines, for my Glock 19.

My dad is giving me his Ruger Mini-14. Plan to do a scout'ish setup on it.... forward mounted scope.

BattleWagonActual
01-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Mini-14's are rarely that accurate of a rifle, but man do I love shooting them. My 300 winmag on the other hand... Now there's an accurate rifle. Glass bedded action, floated barrel, Leupold scope, Harris bipods, it holds a 1/2MOA any day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenrisx
01-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Mini-14's are rarely that accurate of a rifle, but man do I love shooting them.

No worries, I'm not very accurate either. :) I think it's one of the newer ones with the thicker barrel, so it shouldn't be too bad.

BattleWagonActual
01-26-2014, 02:44 PM
The newer ones are definitely a step up from the one I have. With plinkers like the mini I don't care about accuracy. You just won't catch me shooting it on paper for groups. At least not when there's people around, I shot for the Marine Corps Rifle Team for a little bit, people now "expect things" of me.

CJM
01-26-2014, 03:36 PM
The latest production of minis they fixed the barrel harmonics, before this past retooling they did they got minute of paper plate. Barrels were to thin and weak was the issue. Alot of guys made harmonic dampeners using some AL rod and some clamps and clamped them to the underside of the barrel-it helped alot.

4x4mike
01-26-2014, 09:47 PM
What era of minis had problems? Before AR based rifles became the rage I always saw LE with mini 14's. I'm sure they put tons of rounds through them and I wonder if they had a lot of problems? I've only shot one and it was an older model. I think the newer ones have a lot more plastic in them.

I've never been in the market for one but if one came my way I'd make room for it.

BattleWagonActual
01-26-2014, 09:56 PM
What era of minis had problems? Before AR based rifles became the rage I always saw LE with mini 14's. I'm sure they put tons of rounds through them and I wonder if they had a lot of problems? I've only shot one and it was an older model. I think the newer ones have a lot more plastic in them.

I've never been in the market for one but if one came my way I'd make room for it.

I wouldn't say that they had a problem, they just weren't accurate. I've shot thousands of rounds through mine with no real problems. However, at 100yd the group is roughly 5-6" even from a Benchrest or bipods. In comparison my non-match grade AR shoots around 1.5"-2" and my match grade shoots roughly .5"- .75". Like CJM was saying the barrel harmonics weren't great on the old ones.

CJM
01-27-2014, 07:39 AM
Basically up until the last few years you had 5-6" groups and had fliers alot with them. I was seriously going to buy one till I noticed that trend coming up over and over and over on a message board I hung out on. I mean, can you imagine the accuracy is worse than a damn AK? Thats pretty sad.

04 Rocko Taco
05-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Nearing 5 months with no gun talk. Depressing.

I still have made no major gun or ammo purchases. OH! Wait, that isnt true, I did pick up another 800+ rounds of 7.62x54R for the Mosins.
I am also on the hunt for a VEPR 7.62, I have a serious want for an AK pattern rifle chambered in my favorite Russian surplus round.:cool:

In the meantime, to tide myself over on my gun addictions, I ordered some Wilson Combat Parts for my 1911. A lot of people (most who haven't owned, or even shot one, from my experience) will still nay-say the RIA 1911's and will scoff at the thought of installing Wilson Combat parts in one. Polishing a turd, some might say.

I won't say, nor even go near the argument that there is no difference at all between say, an RIA 1911, and a Kimber, or a full custom Les Baer or Wilson Combat 1911. I will say that for MY purposes, in MY carry habits, and MY handgun proficiency levels, there is no appreciable difference, certainly not enough to justify the cost of the high end guns vs my RIA.

Here is my 1911 as received from the factory (shown with my Old Faithful IWB Holster (http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/))

Please allow me to point out, again, that there is nothing wrong with my stock RIA Midsize 1911, I just wanted to change a few things up. I opted for a new Extended Beavertail Grip Safety, a new commander style hammer, and a new sear (it is usually a good idea to swap the sear along with the hammer)

Here is a completely disassembled 1911, (yes I know the Hammer Spur is still attached to the Hammer, forgive me) Note the lack of any small parts, or tiny springs to get lost. Not to shabby for a weapon designed over 100 years ago with very little change since.

Lets take a closer look at parts I swapped: Next Post

04 Rocko Taco
05-19-2014, 10:24 PM
As I mentioned, I chose to swap the Grip Safety, Hammer, and Sear.

On the left is the factory RIA Grip Safety, and the right is the new extended beaver tail Wilson Combat part.
Again, the left hand is obviously the RIA part (with spur still pinned), and the new Wilson hammer on the right.
Notice the difference in the cuts on the left hand factory RIA part, and the smooth radius on the Wilson Sear on the right. Some people say the Wilson sear doesn't play nice with their 1911's without some filing of either the sear, or the thumb safety pin. It did drop into my 1911 with no reworking of either part.
The RIA part is presumably cut this way to fit snugly without any wiggle around both the disconnector and the safety pin.

If you can disassemble a 1911 (anyone should be able to do this - if you are unfamiliar there are a plethora of resources on the net) Then you can change these parts. If it wont go back together easily, then some hand fitting may be required, and this juncture I would recommend seeking a competent 1911 smith, unless you are very familiar with what you are doing.

I had a great time swapping parts, and I have a feeling there is a new Wilson Combat trigger, disconnecter, stainless mainspring, etc in my future.

I will say that the fit and finish on the RIA may leave a little to be desired when compared to higher end guns. The frame and slide could use a slight polish and smoothing in certain areas. I may undertake this project at a later date.

Anyway, here is how it looks now. With the factory parts removed also in the picture.

BattleWagonActual
05-19-2014, 10:52 PM
I love Rock Islands. For the price they can't be beat. I know Les Baer, Kimber, Wilson Combat, and all they other top-shelf 1911's are amazing, but I've always felt rather unnecessary. The 1911 is such a simple, rugged, and proven design that I feel there's no need to drop the kind of money that the others require to purchase. I like how you started with a plain RIA and are slowly building it to your liking. It will always be suited to your needs/wants while being something you can take pride in at the fraction of the cost.

Many of the people I compete against in NRA/CMP Pistol competitions sport a custom pistol started off of an RIA frame, they are really made to some pretty tight tolerances. Besides what not to love about being able to buy 5 or even 10 RIA's for the price of 1 Wilson Combat?

04 Rocko Taco
05-19-2014, 11:01 PM
I love Rock Islands. For the price they can't be beat. I know Les Baer, Kimber, Wilson Combat, and all they other top-shelf 1911's are amazing, but I've always felt rather unnecessary. The 1911 is such a simple, rugged, and proven design that I feel there's no need to drop the kind of money that the others require to purchase. I like how you started with a plain RIA and are slowly building it to your liking. It will always be suited to your needs/wants while being something you can take pride in at the fraction of the cost.

Many of the people I compete against in NRA/CMP Pistol competitions sport a custom pistol started off of an RIA frame, they are really made to some pretty tight tolerances. Besides what not to love about being able to buy 5 or even 10 RIA's for the price of 1 Wilson Combat?

I could not agree more, on all counts.
I always figure almost any argument someone gives for a custom, or premium high end 1911 can be totally negated by pointing out that I can buy X number of RIA 1911's for the same money.
Surely they wouldn't continue to imply that all 10 of my hypothetical RIA 1911's will fail before their 1 Wilson custom will. :rolleyes:

fenrisx
05-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Nice! I want to get a 1911 one day. My buddy has a Ruger 1911 that it is fun to shoot. Shoot it better than my Glock 19 as a matter of fact.

I got this recently:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3806/13499802804_0befbfa101_b.jpg

BattleWagonActual
05-19-2014, 11:11 PM
Maybe I'm just cursed but I had a guy shooting next me break into tears when his Les Baer had a catastrophic failure and ruptured the barrel. I have yet to have that happen with any RIA.

Also, a built Rock Island I had from a Marine Corps Shooting Team precisions weapons tech (although admittedly about 50% no longer RIA in parts) was holding .5" at 50yds shooting a .45" diameter round. (Disclaimer: I was not the one shooting it for those groups, I'm good but not that good, LOL) When it was said and done the total cost was about $850 and a 12pack of Yuengling. Still far under the price of a Kimber or Wilson of equal accuracy.

04 Rocko Taco
05-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Nice! I want to get a 1911 one day. My buddy has a Ruger 1911 that it is fun to shoot. Shoot it better than my Glock 19 as a matter of fact.

I got this recently:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3806/13499802804_0befbfa101_b.jpg

Well, if the previous couple of posts werent endorsement enough, Obviously Cody, I cant say enough about Rock Island 1911's.

How you looking the new Mini-14?

troyboy162
05-20-2014, 03:43 AM
I went shooting 3 weeks ago only to find out I cant shoot anymore after 6 years off. haha I suck now and it was a hard pill to swallow.

Robinhood4x4
05-20-2014, 06:10 AM
Maybe I'm just cursed but I had a guy shooting next me break into tears when his Les Baer had a catastrophic failure and ruptured the barrel. I have yet to have that happen with any RIA.

To be fair, most kabooms are caused from bad reloads, not the gun. Most likely a double charge or a shot fired after a squib.

slosurfer
05-20-2014, 07:09 AM
Anyway, here is how it looks now. With the factory parts removed also in the picture.

Nice! I like it! I am hoping to get a 1911 this year. I am probably going to go the 80% route though. Waiting for the company to get their ATF letter, so they will start selling these.
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/tm-1911-frame-80-percent-new.html

BattleWagonActual
05-20-2014, 08:53 AM
To be fair, most kabooms are caused from bad reloads, not the gun. Most likely a double charge or a shot fired after a squib.

Oh, I know in this case i believe it was after a squib mid string while he was trying to unload as fast as possible. As long as you're not shooting a damaged pistol or bad ammo just about any maintained 1911 is going to function fine for many years. I like my guns to be used and if I ever bought a handgun that cost even 1/2 my monthly salary I don't think I'd use it as often.

04 Rocko Taco
05-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Nice! I like it! I am hoping to get a 1911 this year. I am probably going to go the 80% route though. Waiting for the company to get their ATF letter, so they will start selling these.
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/tm-1911-frame-80-percent-new.html

I would love to build an 80% 1911, just for the fun of it.
I dont know anyone with a mill and skills though, certainly not me. Haha.

Robinhood4x4
05-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Oh, I know in this case i believe it was after a squib mid string while he was trying to unload as fast as possible. As long as you're not shooting a damaged pistol or bad ammo just about any maintained 1911 is going to function fine for many years. I like my guns to be used and if I ever bought a handgun that cost even 1/2 my monthly salary I don't think I'd use it as often.

The friend I go shooting with uses a higher end 1911 for competition and in one stage he had a squib. The RO and I both yelled stop and luckily he wasn't fast enough to get another round off. That was during his learning curve on the progressive reloader.

As for not using an expensive gun...even the expensive guns like to be used...just do it!

04 Rocko Taco
05-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Glad you guys caught him in time, in the heat of competition you could miss it, but there is really no mistaking the sound or feel of a squib round if just plinking at the range, in my experience, anyway.

BattleWagonActual
05-20-2014, 08:36 PM
That's just the thing, we didn't catch him in time. He was new to shooting, paid a primo on a beautiful pistol, and thought he was being cool trying to blow through a full mag. Turns out the guy bought a reloader and tried making his own ammo. Luckily everyone was okay, but it definitely could have been worse.

I was just shooting at an indoor range when this happened. I wasn't in any competition at the time or anything so I didn't notice the squib with the lanes separated.

04 Rocko Taco
05-20-2014, 08:43 PM
That's just the thing, we didn't catch him in time. He was new to shooting, paid a primo on a beautiful pistol, and thought he was being cool trying to blow through a full mag. Turns out the guy bought a reloader and tried making his own ammo. Luckily everyone was okay, but it definitely could have been worse.

I was just shooting at an indoor range when this happened. I wasn't in any competition at the time or anything so I didn't notice the squib with the lanes separated.

Yeah with the barrel going, I didnt think you caught him. I was referring to THIS one:

The friend I go shooting with uses a higher end 1911 for competition and in one stage he had a squib. The RO and I both yelled stop and luckily he wasn't fast enough to get another round off. That was during his learning curve on the progressive reloader.

As for not using an expensive gun...even the expensive guns like to be used...just do it!

Either way, squibs are no fun for anyone.
I have just started reloading .223 and .45 myself.
I will test all of my initial loads carefully to make sure I'm getting exactly what I think I am. These are good stories to keep you cautious.

BattleWagonActual
05-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Yeah I didn't even see that, sorry. I'm not always the most observant.

As for the reloading, what are you planning on using it for? Is you .223 an AR, mini-14, or something else. I might have a few loads if you're looking for precision but you'll need a NATO 5.56 chamber and not a .223Rem for safety reasons due to tolerances and chamber pressures.

Pistol, I tend to not care as much as the only time I'm competing with one is on the Marine Corps dime. I still have a good number of contacts from my time there and can probably get a whole slew of loads though for anyone looking for them.

BattleWagonActual
05-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Also, is it wrong that I come to a Yota forum and find myself talking more on the gun thread than anything else? Lol

04 Rocko Taco
05-21-2014, 12:16 AM
I'm using my .223 in an AR. It is a 5.56 chamber.
Not looking for super precision, mostly just reproducing commercial loads, but would like any ideas for precision loads.
The .45 again, just looking for commercial loads, my handgun shooting skills, commercial ammo is as good as I am.

And no, it isnt wrong. I have been a member over on Pirate for a long time, and I think probably 90% or better of my posts are in the OSR (gun forum) over there.

slosurfer
05-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Forgot that I have a couple shotguns that I haven't added on here. First is your run of the mill Maverick 88 for home security. Got it on sale at Big 5 awhile ago. Added a hi viz front sight and an heat shield with peep sights. Going to remove the sights and probably the shield too, the sights are plastic (crooked too) and the heat shield doesn't stay in place very well. Only real plans are to add a good flashlight and mount.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/23/e2ubypa2.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/23/pujenuga.jpg

slosurfer
05-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Next one is my favorite. My grandfather's old Remington Model 10. This thing is awesome! According to my research, this one was made in 1927. Need to go shoot some trap and skeet to get better with it and get more birds this year. Makes a great turkey gun, got a nice one last year.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/23/avagader.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/23/zy6e7yna.jpg

Cool break down design

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/23/yjy3yjut.jpg

BattleWagonActual
05-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Slosurfer, that's an awesome Model 10 you have there man. I've inherited an old Winchester/ Savage arms model 67c in 20ga with a 28" modified "choke" barrel. As old as it is it's amazing how much I still use it. Hopefully it'll still be working a decade from now for my son.

04 Rocko Taco
05-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Slo - let me know if you remove the crappy heat shield and sights.... I might need some crappy stuff for my Maverick. haha.

Also great looking Model 10!
Nowhere near as cool as that, but I have an old-ish Mossberg 395T that is a good Turkey gun, Bolt Action, Box Magazine fed 12 gauge. I love it. Its also in a BEAUTIFUL tiger stripe wood stock. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

slosurfer
05-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Slosurfer, that's an awesome Model 10 you have there man. I've inherited an old Winchester/ Savage arms model 67c in 20ga with a 28" modified "choke" barrel. As old as it is it's amazing how much I still use it. Hopefully it'll still be working a decade from now for my son.

Nice! I am also worried about using this one too much and wearing it out before handing it down, but it is too fun to use. :) Once the lead ban goes into effect though, it won't get used much for hunting. I know I can't shoot steel out of it and not sure if I have other non lead options that would be safe to shoot through an old full choke.

Slo - let me know if you remove the crappy heat shield and sights.... I might need some crappy stuff for my Maverick. haha.

Also great looking Model 10!
Nowhere near as cool as that, but I have an old-ish Mossberg 395T that is a good Turkey gun, Bolt Action, Box Magazine fed 12 gauge. I love it. Its also in a BEAUTIFUL tiger stripe wood stock. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Ha! I will probably remount the shield, I couldn't find my channel locks when I first installed it, so I don't think I crimped the metal enough. They do have aluminum peep sights that I may get to replace the crooked plastic ones, but I think the hiviz front bead will work just fine. I don't like the idea of having sights attached to something that isn't more solidly attached, kind of defeats the purpose of peep sights. I actually just ordered the heat shield without the sights, but they sent the sights anyways, so I installed them. I have to remove the heat shield in order to take them off, and have just been too lazy. I also need to get QD swivel sling mounts for this, I already have the sling that came with qd swivels. I think the flashlight, mount, sling, swivels, mounts, etc... will end up costing more than I paid for the shotgun haha.

I would love to see a pic of that Mossberg 395T! Sounds nice!

I have been working on getting my AR to run good. Was getting light strikes every 3rd or 4th round. I think it is just really overgassed. I switched the semi bcg out for the heavier auto bcg and now it is running well, but is ejecting the casings really hard off the deflector. Cheap russian .223 is ejecting at 3 o'clock (which isn't bad), but decent 5.56 is ejecting at 1:30-2 o'clock (hard to save your brass when it ends up in front of the firing line lol). I have a heavier buffer that came with my spike's pistol buffer tube kit, that I am going to try out tomorrow. Hopefully that helps slow it down enough. If not, I may have to get an adustable gas block. I am just stoked that it is finally fireing anything I put in it. The local range now is open until 9pm on Thursdays and Fridays, which is perfect for my schedule.

04 Rocko Taco
05-22-2014, 08:26 PM
This is a really old picture, some of these are gone, and a lot more have been added since this, but it will do for now.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Vqii9_66T30/TdEcNOEpWvI/AAAAAAAAAB8/BdAAjsuhi7g/s1600/DSCF3571.JPG
(In order from right to left)

1943 Mosin Nagant in an ATI stock and Bipod, with Bushnell Trophy 3-9x (7.62x54R)
Mossberg 395T Bolt Action (12 gauge)
1943 Mosin Nagant (7.62x54R)
Norinco SKS (7.62x39)
1954 Marlin Model 39A Lever Action (.22LR) (Mrs. Rocko's pride and joy)
Marlin Glenfield Model 60 Semi Auto (.22LR)
Winchester Model 1200 RIOT (12 gauge)
Phoenix Arms HP22A Semi Auto (.22LR)
Titan 25 (.25)
Hi-Point JHP45ACP (.45ACP)

I really do need to get an updated picture of the collection. If for no other reason than to update my insurance list.

slosurfer
05-22-2014, 09:07 PM
Wow, that does have a really nice wood stock!

Here's the pistol i am building now. Still deciding on barrel and caliber. Thinking of 8"ish 5.56 or 11"ish 300 Blackout

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/23/3e4uduma.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/23/3ydysede.jpg

04 Rocko Taco
05-23-2014, 12:34 AM
Flame away, call me an idiot, whatever, I just dont get into the AR pistol thing.

I can appreciate them, but they just dont do it for me.

I like the look of that lower though.

slosurfer
05-23-2014, 07:06 AM
Yeah, it's more of a fun gun and just because I can. Also, for CA, it's the closest I will be able to get to a SBR. Figured I would build a pistol while it's still legal, if I hate it, I can sell the upper and buffer and build another rifle upper. Or if I move out of CA, apply for my stamp.... actually lots of guys in free states build pistols while they wait for their stamp, that way they can legally build a sbr upper

BattleWagonActual
05-23-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm right there with you Rocko on the Ar pistols. I'm not a fan of them.

Slo have you guys seen Sig's new arm brace for AR pistols? It's designed to put your arm through as a brace to steady your aim. However it looks like a but stock and although not it's legal "designed purpose" could be used as one. There's an ATF letter stating that they are legal when used in its intended form. But if SHTF and things get ugly who's going to stop you from using it as a butt stock.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/azegy5ub.jpg

slosurfer
05-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Yeah I have seen those. I would rather spend my $ on a better optic and a good solid single point sling. Building a pistol lower is a good legal way to build or own a short barrel upper (just don't ever attach it to a rifle lower unless you have a NFA stamp or there are zombies).

Kryptoroxx
05-24-2014, 02:20 PM

Slo have you guys seen Sig's new arm brace for AR pistols? It's designed to put your arm through as a brace to steady your aim. However it looks like a but stock and although not it's legal "designed purpose" could be used as one. There's an ATF letter stating that they are legal when used in its intended form. But if SHTF and things get ugly who's going to stop you from using it as a butt stock.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/azegy5ub.jpg

Im surprised pencils arent outlawed in cali. I would rather catch a buttstock to the gut then get stabbed with a pencil. But wait that would mean showing your id to get a pencil.....

stamped and snail mailed

BattleWagonActual
05-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Im surprised pencils arent outlawed in cali. I would rather catch a buttstock to the gut then get stabbed with a pencil. But wait that would mean showing your id to get a pencil.....

stamped and snail mailed

Good thing I primarily use a pen. Lol. I feel like every other day CA is trying to make something or another illegal.

Seanz0rz
05-24-2014, 03:32 PM
My work, like every other workplace, has a "no weapons" policy (that specifically mentions switch blade knives, which has me a bit worried...). We essentially manufacture 1/4 of the stuff used in old cartoons to inflict pain (but never kill): Safes. Everyone carries box cutters, pocket knives, 4000 pound safes on forklifts. If it was someone's desire to hurt or kill, it would be very easy.

I still plan on purchasing a 9mm handgun when I have the money. I will have to see what is on the "allowed" list in Cali when I do so. :(

04 Rocko Taco
05-26-2014, 07:46 PM

From what I have heard, the ATF letter doesn't denote in what use it is legal, the product is legal, use it anyway you wish, as a stock or otherwise. I am off to dig up some sources to back this up, so don't use me as a legal defense.

(I am adding this because it says my messages is to short and has to add another 5 characters.... never gotten this before, and have posted LOTS of things much shorter than this....)

04 Rocko Taco
05-26-2014, 08:57 PM
From what I have heard, the ATF letter doesn't denote in what use it is legal, the product is legal, use it anyway you wish, as a stock or otherwise. I am off to dig up some sources to back this up, so don't use me as a legal defense.

ATF Letter Dated 5 Mar 2014.
It outlines specific reasons why “[the ATF] have determined that firing a pistol from the shoulder would not cause the pistol to be reclassified as an SBR”.

Dear Sgt. Bradley:

This is in response to your communication dated January 24, 2014, to the Bureau of Alcohol, tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Your e-mail was forwarded to the ATF Firearms technology Branch (FTB), Martinsburg, West Virginia, for reply. In your note, you ask about firing an AR-15 type pistol from the shoulder; specifically, if doing so would cause the pistol to be reclassified as a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR).

For the following reasons, we have determined that firing a pistol from the shoulder would not cause the pistol to be reclassified as an SBR:

FTB classifies weapons based on their physical design characteristics. While the usage/functionality of the weapon does influence the intended design, it is not the sole criteria for determining the classification of a weapon. Generally speaking, we do not classify weapons based on how an individual uses a weapon.

FTB has previously determined (see FTB #99146) that the firing of a weapon from a particular position, such as placing the receiver extention of an AR-15 type pistol on the user’s shoulder, does not change the classification of a weapon. Further, certain firearm accessories such as the SIG stability brace have not been classified by the FTB as shoulder stocks and, therefore, using the brace improperly does not constitute a design change. Using an accessory improperly would not change the classification of a weapon under Federal law. However, the FTB cannot recommend using a weapon (or weapon accessory) in a manner not intended by the manufacturer.

We thank you for your inquiry and trust the foregoing has been responsive.

04 Rocko Taco
06-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Got bored yesterday while tending to a sick Mrs Rocko around the house, and saw Wilson Combat had thier 47T Mags on sale for the 1911 (10 rounders) so I picked one up, also went ahead and ordered a new stainless beveled edged hammer spur and an extra power firing pin return spring.

Got the Hammer Spur because my facory RIA spur has a nasty burr on the end, and I'm lazy, so swapping it is easier than file work on the existing one.
Got the extra power return spring because it helps negate the risk of an accidental discharge from dropping the pistol or banging it into something. (not that I do either with my pistol, but as long as it doesn't compromise reliable primer ignition, I figured why not? )
Got the Mag because.... well, why not?

slosurfer
10-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Hopefully I will finish this project next week. All my end mill bits show up next week. Will start fitting and filing what I can in the meantime. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/10/4a3d86bf58cfd467e61dac411a8edff1.jpg

slosurfer
10-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Files and the two reamers I needed showed up today. :D While I recover from surgery this week, I will start fitting what I can. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/11/3a856c4862667e33fe757957938902c0.jpg

This is what I will be doing, although I will be using a milling machine instead of a drill press for most of it. http://www.somuchtodo.com/tactical-machining-1911-80-build-project/

4x4mike
10-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Looks like a fun project. Who's the kit from?

slosurfer
10-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Tacticalmachining.com 80% frame and jig. The rest is from e-sarcoinc.com http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911autobuildkitlessframe.aspx and some magpul grips. I figured I would get it built with this and then start swapping out parts as I see fit.

slosurfer
10-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Planning my own version of the Marine's M45A1. May even try my hand at customizing the cheap slide I have (take advantage of having access to some cool tools). It will also be my first try at cerakote or something similar. Will also probably coat my AR at the same time.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/12/f0d2538fa58a70308afdf32b35aeecd9.jpg

slosurfer
10-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Drilled it, cut the rails, and milled the barrel seat today. Slide goes on smoothly and ready to get some lapping compound. Started fitting other parts as well, lots of filing and fitting.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/16/d4169195a638ff02617ab907be60920d.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/16/10bcbb12745a41a06d2bb9df1cc7cfa5.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/16/a1ffa9a5254b365274395dc6bd6ec08f.jpg

04 Rocko Taco
10-17-2014, 12:41 AM
So jealous man! All I did while recovering from my knee surgery was play Call of Duty and watch Netflix.
I really want to try my hand at an 80% 1911 build. Just not sure I want to tackle it with a drill press.

4x4mike
10-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Speaking of drill press. Chris I saw you mention that a few posts up. How would that cutting be achieved using a drill press? Most that have tapered chucks don't like, won't do or spit the chuck when you run a side load on them. Are guys having good results using a drill press? Are the tolerances there?

After reading what has to be done it appears it wouldn't be too bad but if you have a mill it's the way to go. Even with a drill press you'd need or want a milling vise with some sort of advance.

slosurfer
10-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Here's a good detail about using a drill press for this. He is using a sliding vise.
http://www.somuchtodo.com/how-to-guides/1911-80-build-part-5-cutting-slide-rail/

One guy actually did the rails and barrel seat with just files.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=957081

Also, lots of guys are using a dremel and some kind of dremel router table (the thread has video of it being done)
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=968733

I am lucky that I have access to a mill. He has very limited parts for it though, so I end up paying a lot for all the tooling and stuff. The 18mm ball end mill bit I bought cost more than all the reamers, bits, dykem, and files that I bought for this. They do have cheaper ones on ebay and amazon, but they come from china and the shipping times were sketchy at best. The cost though will be spread out over two frames (more probably, since I am pretty sure my Dad wants to do one now). I already have probably $275 in bits, files, dykem, and the jig at this point. Still need to get lapping compound, cerakote, and maybe some 1911 specific tools like the plunger tube staking tool.

slosurfer
10-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Got the other one ready for fitting and lapping compound

His and hers
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/17/dfa0a6389b5fa757141485702e8ca86d.jpg

slosurfer
10-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Got tired of just filing and fitting parts, so I put it all together just to see it all. The plunger tube and extractor, are not installed, I want to wait until I get my lapping compound and get that done first. Might as well wait since lapping will make a mess. Everything else is easy to remove for lapping.

A pic before I tear it all down and continue to fine tune it. The thumb safety is first on my list. As you can see it won't go all the way up. Needs more filing
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/19/80b06c7f50ec8803c7f3af57e0e611b4.jpg

Good Times
10-20-2014, 07:30 PM
sexy!

mastacox
10-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Hey guys, long time no talk. I haven't much time for off-roading lately so no pics to post in that area, but I can post here! My birthday was last Saturday, and my wife reminded me why I married her: she got me a gun! Not just any gun mind you, but a clean circa 1962 M1 Carbine! It's an early Plainfield Machine model, serial number is B3xx which meas it was made between 1962 and 1965 according to this site: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_Plainfield02.html. I figure since they made almost 6,000 annually and this one is so early in the serials, it's got to be a '62. Not quite as sought-after as the WWII GI units, but definitely in the nicer civilian models.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/20141018_104808_RichtoneHDR_zpsf6356dd4.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/mastacox/media/20141018_104808_RichtoneHDR_zpsf6356dd4.jpg.html)

We took it out shooting, its a sweet little thing and shoots smoothly. Took a little cleaning in and out from sitting for a while with previous owner (Vietnam vet who bought it and kept it), but it's in pretty much original condition and that's the way it should be!

slosurfer
10-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Nice! That is sweet!

04 Rocko Taco
10-20-2014, 08:54 PM
I like it!

I have to admit, I am more jealous of Chris' fun with the 1911's though. I've just never been a huge M1 Carbine fan, nothing against them. I would take a Garand in a heartbeat though.

mastacox
10-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Its a cool little gun, much more character than a Ruger 10/22. I love the story behind them and the classic styling is very recognizable. Also the recoil is fairly mild with it, I can see myself teaching my daughter to shoot with it in a couple years...

04 Rocko Taco
10-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Its a cool little gun, much more character than a Ruger 10/22. I love the story behind them and the classic styling is very recognizable. Also the recoil is fairly mild with it, I can see myself teaching my daughter to shoot with it in a couple years...

No doubt about it being a cool gun, like I said, I have nothing against them, just always looked a little funny in my big old paws.
Good shooters though!

slosurfer
10-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Sunday, I was able to lap my slide and frame. Pretty cool how fast it worked! I also was able to stake the plunger tube. Got it all back together and I am ready to test fire it. Got a couple better magazines too. My grip safety is sticking a little bit and I need to address that but nothing that won't allow me to test fire it.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/28/85e2b7e4c8149fc307a7fddc504fdb38.jpg

4x4mike
10-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Nice to see it coming along. I thought I knew more about lapping until you mentioned above that it was messy. I could see it being more of an issue on a production gun but with this picture I know what you mean.

I spent some time behind a high end Wilson Combat this weekend and was impressed. Not so much that I needed to run out and get that one, money aside, but it rekindled the 1911 in me.

troyboy162
10-28-2014, 10:37 AM
I read the build parties are not allowed anymore? I'd like a ares radius, but not bad enough to do all the milling yet

slosurfer
10-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Yeah, it's not super messy, just that you need to clean it super good between steps (especially when switching grits). I went through 1 1/2 cans of brakeclean on my frame. I just held it down in a 5 gallon bucket when I sprayed so it didn't get everywhere. April wasn't too keen on the house smelling like brakekleen but.... I am glad that I waited to install the plunger tube until after. The slide was the pain to clean between steps, so many nooks and crannys

slosurfer
10-28-2014, 11:11 AM
No more build parties. They are even trying to go so far as saying you have to actually own the tools and only do it at your residence. ... I think that is bs though and would only come into play if you were doing something stupid. I think people have lots of problems with those ares frames. One guy loved his until it fell off the bed and broke....

slosurfer
10-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Got the sticking grip safety issue fixed, ended up that the grip safety was binding with the hammer strut if the hammer was back and you pushed on the grip safety just right. The safety would bind and stay pushed in. Found this out after messing with the sear spring making sure it was good, installing April's sear spring etc.... Ended up just needing to run a file down the groove in the grip safety a few times and no more binding.

Function and safety check was good to go. Snap caps worked good. Probably test fire it tomorrow or Thursday. Plan to go with 1 round first magazine then 2 round on the second magazine to make sure that my disconnector is working. After that, if all is good, shoot the piss out of it. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/28/e25283c9f6bfcfb6a2e8f09438dd0119.jpg

04 Rocko Taco
10-29-2014, 01:36 AM
If I can ask, how much do you have roughly in the gun itself at this point (not counting tooling, etc.) and then also including tooling?

slosurfer
10-29-2014, 08:05 AM
If I can ask, how much do you have roughly in the gun itself at this point (not counting tooling, etc.) and then also including tooling?

The gun itself with the magpul grips, I am at about $420 (that doesn't include the extra McCormick magazines, a cleaning kit, snap caps, and a simple case that I bought, that's another $70).

I have about $360 in the jig, bits, files, staking tool, dykem, lapping compound, and brakekleen. A friend and I are splitting the costs on all of that, so I will just call it $200 after the split since I may get the trigger and sear jig to do a trigger job. I am doing 2 pistols, so roughly $100 per pistol.

There are definitely ways to do it cheaper as well, for example I could get one specific bit for the barrel seat for $25 if I had time to wait a month for shipping from china, instead I paid $85 for one from the US (probably still came from china). I also sprung for using reamers to get to the correct size holes for the hammer and sear pins, most are just using the correct size bit, which would work just fine with the jig (especially since you are not drilling through just from one side). I bought dykem when a sharpie will also work, etc...

04 Rocko Taco
10-29-2014, 04:33 PM
I really want to build one of these, but dont have the access to machines, and not sure I trust myself to try the drill press method.

slosurfer
10-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Test fired her today. Worked great with Winchester and American Eagle FMJ. 2 rounds failed (out of the 150 tonight). Neither would allow it to go into full battery. Looks like the rounds were pushed into the casing farther than they should but I am not sure if the pistol did that or they were like that from the factory.

Definitely need to do a trigger job on this, I think it is like a 12 pound pull or something lol. Groups good but I need to learn to shoot a pistol (never got to learn in the Marines, shot everything else, just no pistol) and you can tell I am pushing trying to get that trigger pulled. Did some steel shooting and a couple targets, targets were at 7 yds. The two targets are almost a perfect match if you lay them on top of each other.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/30/17fcb581b208d8e73d4e0d6ce0655e77.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/30/4dbd7105b00b790615f8fe867f235502.jpg

4x4mike
10-31-2014, 09:04 AM
Looking good Chris. I bet it's fun to shoot off 230 grains from something you made.

As for the FTF, I've had great luck with 100 round white box Winchester. I suppose the gun could have caused the bullet to be pushed in but wouldn't it still fire? Or at least try? Was the primer stuck on the two that failed? I've got a new double feed issue on my .45 that I need to figure out. After taking everything apart last night I think it might be one of the magazine but of course I need to go back out to the range to figure it out. FWIW it was white box that was double feeding.

slosurfer
10-31-2014, 09:28 AM
One was definitely with a bad magazine (I should just chuck the mags that came with the Sarco kits) They wouldn't fire because they wouldn't fully seat, therefore the slide wasn't all the way forward. Tried them a couple times just to make sure in the good mags. I think the round is seated in the casing too deep and the casing is bulged. Whether they were like that or my bad mag caused the round to feed wrong and my slide pushed the round in, I am not sure.

slosurfer
10-31-2014, 09:29 AM
I think they were out of the white box, I will check when I get home.

4x4mike
10-31-2014, 09:44 AM
So with the slide not closing the pin wouldn't hit the primer anyway. That's good.

Bulged is no good. I'm thinking it came out of the box that way unless you've got a heck of a spring in there that's slamming it home and bulging a casing.

slosurfer
10-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Yeah the hammer wouldn't even fall, so that is good. If they are both from the same box, then I will assume it was from the factory

slosurfer
10-31-2014, 04:04 PM
So, I looked at them again. Both were from the winchester white box and it didn't look like it was really bulging. When I compared them to the American Eagle that I have here, I noticed that the cases were longer on the bad winchesters. Online dimensions say that the length of the case should be 22.81mm and these were almost a full mm longer. Not sure if that really matters, but it makes me feel better that it was out of the same box and I am pretty sure both were out of the bad magazines. I think I will just toss those ones. They didn't feed well apparently, didn't hold the slide open on last round, and the springs were super tough.

Robinhood4x4
11-01-2014, 06:28 AM
1mm could definitely do it since it head spaces off the length of the shell. Sounds like it's the ammo, but you're on the right track with the mag too. Mags are the #1 cause for gun problems.

By the way, nice grouping. Whenever I go to the range I see people with targets that look like they used a shotgun to shoot them.

slosurfer
11-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks Steve. Honestly just stoked that it ran well. Now I can work on the trigger and my technique to get more accurate.

Chris, check out this new jig specifically for doing this with a drill press. Also comes with the bits and everything.
http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=23&zenid=237e0a138c49da011f2f006003278ac8

slosurfer
11-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Picked up a couple boxes of Winchester PDX1 to see if it would feed the hollow points. FYI, at Dicks right now 25% off hollow point pistol ammo. Fired one box and they fed just fine. The other box is saved for HD now that I know it will eat them.

I also went through another box of 100 white box and a couple mags of American Eagle. This time no hiccups and I only used the good mags.

I mostly shot at steel but did shoot a bit at paper at the end. My target looks exactly like the ones posted above. I concentrated on breathing, steady squeeze of the trigger, squeezing straight back, etc... I felt like I was shooting well and my group was better, but still left and a little low. Anyways, I just started to clean it tonight and noticed that the rear sight isn't centered. I don't know why I haven't noticed before, I guess just too worried about getting everything else right. I don't have my calipers here but with a square piece of paper and a ruler, it is at least 1 mm to the left. By my calculations, the middle of my group needs to move 2.5" to the right, which is about 1.5 mm to the right on my rear sight. Going to try to drift it in the next couple days. Maybe, just maybe, I don't suck as much as I thought ;)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/03/aa5af6e430f11209737a35d9bdab67b9.jpg

4x4mike
11-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Wow, that's a tight fitting slide right there. All my handguns are plastic and none are that tight looking.

Just curious, how much was a box of PDX1 on sale? Is it +P?

I'm in the market for updating my HydraShock but might be looking to mix up the contents of my mags with a combination of brands but want to stick to standard loads.

slosurfer
11-03-2014, 08:57 PM
I think it was $27.99 a box originally, so it ended up being $20.99 a box of 20. It is not +P, I think just the .38 special and 9mm Luger rounds are +P for the PDX1
http://www.winchester.com/Products/handgun-ammunition/Innovative/PDX1-Defender/Pages/default.aspx

Stupidly, I only fired those at steel at about 15 yds, so I have no idea how accurate they were compared to the others I shot. I am assuming that they are good though, at least in personal defense space.

4x4mike
11-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the link, I hadn't checked their site. I was getting them confused with some others I was looking at. Like the Barnes: http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/ammunition/tac-xpd-ammunition/

Their 45 is +P with an 185 gram bullet.

If you only shot them at steel and you heard them ring you're doing your job. If they are standard load and bullet weight they shouldn't be too off at that range. I don't have a 15 yard shot within my house and I have no business risking that in public so I practice at closer range. Locally at a range that's indoor and at paper so I use white box FMJ.

slosurfer
11-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Well I wasn't hitting steel very well lol! Makes sense if my sights are that far off. Haha

Check out this Barnes page. It lists other companies that use their rounds. Some of them use that 185 copper round and don't list it as +P http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/ammunition/loaded-ammunition/

I need to get a box or two. I might want to be able to carry my pistol while hunting, and I will need lead free rounds for the condor zone

04 Rocko Taco
11-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Thanks Steve. Honestly just stoked that it ran well. Now I can work on the trigger and my technique to get more accurate.

Chris, check out this new jig specifically for doing this with a drill press. Also comes with the bits and everything.
http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=23&zenid=237e0a138c49da011f2f006003278ac8

Thanks for the link!!
Now to make sure everyone knows whats on my Christmas Wish List.

As far as round selection, my two cents, which you didn't ask for, so my free advice is probably worth what you paid for it - I shoot 230 grain Speer Gold Dot JHP for SD ammo in the winter. I shoot 185gr Federal HydraShoks in the summer.

Reason is, the more ballistics reading I do, the 230 gr (not +P) are moving slow enough that they don't always reliably expand, and will act more like an FMJ sometimes. Regardless, even a .45 FMJ is going to do some damage. I prefer the 185's because they are moving a bit quicker and will expand more reliably. Only problem there is that (in TN - likely not the case in CA) in the winter, a 185 may be apt to begin expansion prematurely after hitting a heavy coat, or multiple layers of clothing.

As I said though, with the climate differences from TN to CA, you likely wont have the same issues.

slosurfer
11-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Chris, didn't think about the fact that there could be less layers of clothing. I know the vids I watched all used 2-4 layers of denim in front of the ballistic gel, maybe I can find one with less material in front of the gel. The one I saw had the 230 PDX1 with the Hornady critical defense 185, they both did good. I think my next test of HD ammo will be of something in the 185 category. Is there a difference in felt recoil between 185gr +P and 230gr or are they about the same since the lighter round is +P?

04 Rocko Taco
11-04-2014, 07:23 PM
I cant really tell a difference in my hand, but others may disagree.

slosurfer
11-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Rocko those jigs are in stock now! $200 is a deal inmhop http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=23&zenid=d83b24c4f441f0930132361f28af486a

slosurfer
12-07-2014, 05:13 PM
I am in the process of hooking up April's pistol. Pretty much ready to start fitting parts, but I decided to really hook hers up. I ordered a bunch of wilson combat parts for it, so I am waiting for them to arrive. Her Vz grips did show up though! Here's a pic of them just setting on top of mine.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/07/e072f0a62bf4a00b29e126815e226ee0.jpg

I am completely jealous of her vz grips! The magpul ones are great for the money but don't even compare. Now just need the wilson trigger, flat mainspring housing, grip and thumb safety to show up. Hopefully it arrives before Christmas.

the way it's going, her valentines gift will be me cerakoting it and a kydex holster

BattleWagonActual
02-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Hey everyone, just getting back into the forums. Looking to get a new Springfield 1911 Range Officer soon. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? My father so graciously surprised me by buying me one for my 30th birthday.