PDA

View Full Version : getting dents out of 3/16" armor

troyboy162
10-27-2010, 02:46 PM
funny there is a post about stock skids and dents right now...well this is the thick stuff. i thought a hand sledge could fix them but its going to take more BFG unless anyone knows of a way. ive heard driving over them would work but i know thats a lie since the truck has put its weight on them several times without bending. its it a full size sledge? take them to a shop with a press?

4x4mike
10-27-2010, 02:58 PM
When the metal dented it stretched. The way I see it is that to flatten it out you've got to fit 10 pounds in a 6 pound hole. One of my first trys would include a bottle jack. I've got a couple HF ones and the stock 4runner one. The smaller the head the better. I would lay the bent piece, dent up, on flat concrete and place it under the 4runner or something really heavy. Then flip the bottle jack upside down and shim with wood between the jack and frame and jack up (down) the jack. In the past I've been able to push out dents this way. You may have to put some wood under the metal but just make sure the jack isn't fully extended, hence the shim wood. I don't think I could sledge harder than the jack could push. When in doubt use some heat.

troyboy162
10-27-2010, 03:03 PM
that sounds like a great idea! ill try that out. thank you

Seanz0rz
10-27-2010, 03:07 PM
ive stuck my 1/8" skids in the press a couple of times to straighten it (guess its time to add some bracing there)

i second the bottle jack, but im not sure how well they work upside down (i havent tried). i have tried running them over, and with ~1/4 the weight of the truck spread out over the contact patch, it doesnt do anything unless you put blocks under it and even then it just doesnt work right. jack should give you the control you need.

slosurfer
10-27-2010, 03:54 PM
It's a skid plate... put a sticker on the dent and call it good! :flipoff:

troyboy162
10-27-2010, 04:43 PM
i would but its contacting my steering rack. happened a year ago up in big bear sliding off a ledge...well cause i was not paying any attention is the real cause haha

Scuba
10-27-2010, 04:53 PM
You trying to do the trans plate?

IDK man, when my transfercase skid was bent up all it took was my rubber mallet to straighten it out.
Try hitting it with your purse...

Robinhood4x4
10-27-2010, 05:04 PM
I think a big sledge hammer will work.

Or the purse idea.

CJM
10-27-2010, 05:28 PM
porta power, its a hydraulic ram that has attachments that push-HF sells them cheaply and they work good.

Crinale
10-27-2010, 06:18 PM
i would think if nothing else, Mikes suggestion of heat will work... use a heat gun and soften the metal before you try to bend it... should help it not stretch farther making it more brittle..

troyboy162
10-27-2010, 06:22 PM
haha steve i hit this thing as hard as i could 4 times in a row. my ears rang and my hand hurt, but i only managed to mess up the powder coating. i will try the bottle jack soon. ive got a tourch i can heat it up with if it still wont move

oh and p.s. theres nothing like color match paint to make you realize how scratched and oxidized your paint it. and p.p.s. that crappy turtle wax ice does a great job on hiding really scratched and oxidized paint

Robinhood4x4
10-27-2010, 06:59 PM
use a heat gun and soften the metal before you try to bend it

If by heat gun you mean torch (preferably an oxy-acetylene), then yes that could work. Otherwise a heat gun ain't going to do anything.

Crinale
10-27-2010, 07:18 PM
a heat gun putting out 1100 degrees F isnt enough to soften steel? lol... i would guess that it is

Robinhood4x4
10-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Considering you have to get the steel up to about 800-900 deg F before it gets weaker, no, I don't think it'll work for this size and thickness of steel. You'll be loosing too much heat to the surrounding metal and to the atmosphere.

Putting this into perspective, a propane torch burns at about 3500 deg F and an oxy acetylene torch burns at about 6000 deg F.

4x4mike
10-27-2010, 07:35 PM
i would think if nothing else, Mikes suggestion of heat will work... use a heat gun and soften the metal before you try to bend it... should help it not stretch farther making it more brittle..

Heat that mother up

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/DSC06593.jpg

strykersd
10-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Considering you have to get the steel up to about 800-900 deg F before it gets weaker, no, I don't think it'll work for this size and thickness of steel. You'll be loosing too much heat to the surrounding metal and to the atmosphere.

Putting this into perspective, a propane torch burns at about 3500 deg F and an oxy acetylene torch burns at about 6000 deg F.

Yeah you'll probably need more than a propane torch. I used my propane torch today on 1/4" and it didn't do much...

Crinale
10-27-2010, 10:34 PM
quote fail :-P

ok, so i concede on the heat gun, but a propane torch should work as long as you take your time... although yes im sure an oxy torch would work faster

strykersd
10-28-2010, 12:13 AM
quote fail :-P

haha fixed. I was getting off work at 10 and was in a hurry to get out the door!

Maybe I need a larger propane torch, because my little plumbing torch just doesn't seem to do it. It would take forever to heat up my large, thick skid plates while moving back and forth over it. Maybe if made a fire and used the coals like old mid-evil blacksmiths, that could work