PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on how to mount Pressure Gauge (04 4runner)

Ric
11-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Hey all, I posted this over on 120 and nothing, lol maybe you all can help.

I need ideas, thoughts or suggestions, on just how to mount a 2" (back mount) air pressure gauge.
Its a Kobalt part #221013 if it matters, for now, I just got the line from the tank to the gauge.

The reason I want a gauge, is that Im also running air horns, and I thought they was 120PSI, and Ive got a 125PSI switch on the compressor (arb) and when I let the ARB run till it shuts off, the horn wont work, I will have to release a little air out of the tank, then the horns work fine.

Now I know that this gauge is probley not the most accurate, but give me something to go by, and by this gauge, I let the compressor fill the tank to 125PSI, no horn, released a little air, down to 100PSI horns work great (very load), so now I know how much air in the tank to have the horns working at peak performance.
Back to the question, just how am I going to mount the gauge ???

I cant post pix if ya want.

Thankx for any help.

This is on the 04 4runner

Robinhood4x4
11-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Pics of the gauge would help because I couldn't find one online with that part number. Do you want the gauge visible easily from the driver's seat? Ultimately, the way to fix the problem is to use a pressure regulator on the line to the air horns to step down the pressure from the compressor to 100psi. This way you don't have to continuously watch the pressure gauge.

slosurfer
11-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Yep, pressure regulater on the line to the horns will solve your problem and no need for the gauge

Ric
11-07-2010, 08:55 PM
a regulator is a good idea, Im going to look into them..

if thats on the line going from the tank to the horns, will the tank pressure stay at 125 ? and the horns at 100 ?

oh its a cheap gauge from Lowes, lol

and thankx for the heads up,, :thumbup:

slosurfer
11-07-2010, 09:02 PM
yes, the tank will stay at 125 and the line to the horns (after your regulator) will be at 100psi

Ric
11-07-2010, 09:13 PM
sweet,,,, I feel like a noob, lol but never had OBA just the CO2, Im geussing something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100082550&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100082550&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-100082550&locStoreNum=1502&marketID=51

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/c5/c5462a44-20bf-449f-a412-78617f203779_300.jpg

slosurfer
11-07-2010, 09:15 PM
bingo! :thumbup:

Ric
11-07-2010, 09:22 PM
awesome, thankx again :bowdown:
I "really" didnt want to drill a 2" hole anywhere in the cab, lol and I was thinking that there had to be a better way, that I was over thinking this, lol

Robinhood4x4
11-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Yes, that would work. The only thing I'd watch out for is whether it keeps accurate pressure after bouncing around in a truck since it's made to sit on a compressor in a garage it's whole life.

Ric
11-08-2010, 11:41 AM
very good point

4x4mike
11-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Yes, that would work. The only thing I'd watch out for is whether it keeps accurate pressure after bouncing around in a truck since it's made to sit on a compressor in a garage it's whole life.

I've had a few different regulators in my day and abused all the ones I've had on an OBA system. I've gotten a few cheap HF ones so hot the plastic window on the gage discolored but the gage and the regulator still worked. The most common problem I've found is the accuracy of the gage itself, even when new. I had 2 gages on my old truck and they were close to 10 psi off between the 2. Didn't really matter to me but nonetheless, they weren't the same.

slosurfer
11-08-2010, 04:31 PM

Considering all the vibrations that a compressor produces when it's on, I don't think you have to worry about it all that much.

Robinhood4x4
11-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Considering all the vibrations that a compressor produces when it's on, I don't think you have to worry about it all that much.

I thought about that, but the thing is that it's a different kind of vibration. Remember, I'm a vibrations engineer and I break things all the time that otherwise looks like beef. Don't mind me though, I'm just overly conservative when it comes to vibration. Mike makes good points with real world data.

slosurfer
11-08-2010, 06:20 PM
I thought about that, but the thing is that it's a different kind of vibration. Remember, I'm a vibrations engineer and I break things all the time that otherwise looks like beef. Don't mind me though, I'm just overly conservative when it comes to vibration. Mike makes good points with real world data.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but also consider all the regulators that are on portable work compressors that spend most of their time bouncing around the back of a contruction truck and are still fairly accurate. My job compressor gets bumped and jarred all the time and the regulator is still accurate. We have many regulators at our self-serve carwash that my grandpa owns and I take care of. We have to combat constant useage, water, and vibration constantly, and the only things in the carwash that I've never seen break or wear out have been the regulators. I think the more important thing is makeing sure your regulator is accurate with your pressure gauge (or at least you should know how much it is off). My regulator that is on my homemade powertank is still accurate and it's been bouncing around my 4runner for years now.