PDA

View Full Version : San Gabriel River project, need help quick!!!

Seanz0rz
11-15-2010, 05:58 PM
I have a project on the San Gabriel River, and part of it is finding its headwaters. does anyone know that area well enough to tell me where to go? its a bit west for my knowledge base, and i lack any decent maps of the area and i am unsure of road closures, etc.

any help is greatly appreciated. if any one wants to tag along on wednesday, it would be nice to have someone else with me, although im completely fine on my own.

thanks!

some_odd_girl
11-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Wednesday is the only day I'm in school alllllllllll day... and that's prob a little far for me to drive anyways. :P Good luck tho. If this was more geology related I might be able to help. :P

4x4mike
11-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Do you know where the headwaters are? What type of information are you looking for? I work in water.

Seanz0rz
11-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Specifically looking for roads ( dirt) that can get me very close to the creeks that feed the river. Pictures for the report are a must. And the experience is necessary. Just looking for some one to chime in with some experience up there. Specifically Azusa canyon and east fork road.

Our project is to trace from the origins of the river to the ocean, and how it's changed and the effect on the environment. Etc

some_odd_girl
11-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Sounds like a cool class, what is it?

Good Times
11-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Asking one of my DWP guys to see if they know.

paddlenbike
11-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Sean, do you have ArcView or a CAD program capable of reading ArcView files?

4x4mike
11-16-2010, 08:29 AM

What about public view of eWRIMS? I'll have to check that out to see if NHD and tributary labels show up.

Seanz0rz
11-16-2010, 09:01 AM

seeing as ESRI is based in Redlands, and was involved much in my highschool comp sci program, i do happen to have a access to it!

im having no trouble tracing the river upstream, its the roads i cannot trace because many have gates that are either locked or not.

paddlenbike
11-16-2010, 09:16 AM
I was basically going to give you a layer with the San Gabriel River and unimproved roads. It won't discern gated roads from public ones though.

Seanz0rz
11-16-2010, 09:26 AM
it couldnt hurt. youve got a PM!

paddlenbike
11-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Did you get the files I sent you yesterday?

Seanz0rz
11-17-2010, 02:56 PM
got em ken, thanks (i thought i replied to your email saying i got them, guess i didnt hit send, its my drafts!) they were a big help.

went up there this morning, and did a bunch of stuff on the east fork, got a ton of pictues with GPS coords of the dams and channels and of the natural river itself. hiked a bit up the trail to bridge to nowhere, but didnt go all the way. i got suffient info and pictures to start my report. another trip might be in order thanksgiving weekend to search out some more info, but that would be in the city.

thanks for all the help guys! ill toss some pics up here later when i get a chance.