PDA

View Full Version : crossmember bolt threads

blknblu
04-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Can anyone shed some light on the thread size for our crossmember bolts? After installing my Budbuilt CM and skid, I thought it was a shame to have those bolt heads sticking out exposed like they are. Figured I could get some sort of lower profile "button" style cap screw from Mcmaster-Carr, but found that these things don't seem to fit anything. No go in my tap and die set or at the little sizing guides at the hardware and auto stores. Ideas or info? Thanks.

jimbo74
04-22-2007, 04:39 AM
toyota uses a 1.25 for pretty much everything.... just get the diameter and you are set

RustBucket
04-22-2007, 06:39 PM
It would be interesting if BudBuilt would weld rises around the bolt holes, like a 2" diameter, and then cut reliefs for the bolt heads to hide down into.

I don't actually own a BB skid though... maybe they do this already?

blknblu
04-22-2007, 07:55 PM
It would be interesting if BudBuilt would weld rises around the bolt holes, like a 2" diameter, and then cut reliefs for the bolt heads to hide down into.

I don't actually own a BB skid though... maybe they do this already?

No they don't, but that would be sweet. I imagine it probably isn't cost effective and I'm probably over thinking the whole thing. The bolts were just as exposed on my stock junk and are in good shape 21 yrs later (tho I've really only been wheeling it more seriously for 1 1/2 - 2 yrs)

Piett
04-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Socket head cap screws are just as vulnerable to trail damage as typical bolt heads. In my experience once they get damaged the socket no fits an allen wrench well. They also build up grease and dirt which can make it hard to get a allen wrench into. My take is that I have a better chance of getting a wrench on a damaged typical hex head even it means I have to use a file or grinder on it first.

There have been cases that the only matching graded metric parts have been available in were sock head cap screws. You use what you have too.

Geoff