PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Joes

Scuba
01-04-2011, 12:09 AM
I use this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/sloppy-joes-ii/Detail.aspx

Except, I leave out the brown sugar (not a fan of the sweet sloppy joes), as well as I leave out the green peppers. Not a big fan of those either. So normally I'll prepare the 1/4 cup of onions (or probably more cause onions are BOMB) and put those in a small tupperware container. Then put the ketchup, mustard, garlic powder, and add some fresh minced garlic and pepper in another small container. Place the above ingredients in your cooler and prepare when your stomach is growling. You'll be satisfied for sure.
A good side dish with the joes is a nice baked potato. :thumbup:

:D

troyboy162
01-04-2011, 07:25 AM
these are no joke tasty! ive had them twice on the trail with steve and they are really great.

and yes steve i read that blog and think about all the good food you will be making. i will continue to park my truck as close to yours as possible when we camp hahah. who knows though...i watch what you pack and some damn fine food has come out of that plastic bin and cooler of yours

L33T35T Tacoma
01-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Stephen, these are pretty bomb. You really impressed me at pismo with these. How do you think they'd be with ground turkey? My parents don't eat beef but I'd love to make these.

Scuba
01-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Stephen, these are pretty bomb. You really impressed me at pismo with these. How do you think they'd be with ground turkey? My parents don't eat beef but I'd love to make these.

Thats a good question. I think it'd actually be a pretty good substitute. Maybe I'll try it soon. If you try it before I do LMK how it is :D

fenrisx
01-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I've never thought of making homemade sloppy joes before. We always just grab a # of ground beef, and a can of Mannwich. I think I'll try this recipe out tomorrow if it doesn't sound gross to my Wife, who is pregnant.

(Side note: I've never heard the term 'bomb' used to describe how good something is until I moved to Minneapolis, that was about 2 years ago. Now I've heard it used by a UY member!)

DHC6twinotter
01-04-2011, 05:01 PM
My mom makes awesome sloppy joes, and the recipe looks almost identical to this one. She doesn't use brown sugar either, but she does mince up some peppers. Good stuff for sure! She uses ground turkey too, and if you brown it with a bit of oil, it doesn't taste too bad.

Thanks for posting this scuba! :thumbup:

Crinale
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
(Side note: I've never heard the term 'bomb' used to describe how good something is until I moved to Minneapolis, that was about 2 years ago. Now I've heard it used by a UY member!)

As far as i know it started as a socal thing..

and yes, Scuba's sloppy joes are awesome :thumbup:

Obi..
01-04-2011, 06:19 PM
FWIW we sub in chile-verde instead of green peppers and we also use shredded sharp cheddar or monterey jack cheese, no brown sugar. *Throw the cheese on last so it only melts a little bit.

You can also use a couple of greek peppers as a topper (those tart yellow sliced deals). :thumbup:

Now, more importantly, you're all forgetting the most important part of this recipe..

Which :drink: goes best with them.
For our :drink: it's usually Guinness if there's enough $ left after buying supplies.

4x4mike
01-04-2011, 06:41 PM
I've never heard the term 'bomb' used to describe how good something is until I moved to Minneapolis, that was about 2 years ago. Now I've heard it used by a UY member!

Come to California and you'll learn all the dope ass lingo.

Obi..
01-04-2011, 07:30 PM
When's it comz to deh cookin we's so hyphy you don even know bro.

Fixed. :flipoff:

Scuba
01-04-2011, 11:13 PM
I picked up 1# of ground turkey when I was at wally world getting some brats.
Think I'll whip up some turkey joes tomorrow night and let you guys know how it goes.

And Shane, I stick to Newcastle. So IMO thats the best brew to go with the sloppy joes.

Obi..
01-04-2011, 11:33 PM
I picked up 1# of ground turkey when I was at wally world getting some brats.
Think I'll whip up some turkey joes tomorrow night and let you guys know how it goes.

And Shane, I stick to Newcastle. So IMO thats the best brew to go with the sloppy joes.

*NewCastle was our alternate and I still have 8 left of the case and am making SJ's tomorrow too after reading this thread. :D

fenrisx
01-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Looks like it's Sloppy Joe Wednesday's on ol' UY.

Obi..
01-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Looks like it's Sloppy Joe Wednesday's on ol' UY.

Almost as good as Cheese-Steak Fridays and Midnight BBQ's! :D

fenrisx
01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I'll be cookin' up some sloppy joes in about an hour and a half! Except we thought we had an onion at the house & we don't... and I wasn't going to use a pepper to begin with.

corax
01-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Which :drink: goes best with them.
For our :drink: it's usually Guinness if there's enough $ left after buying supplies.

Has to be something dark. If it's Guinness, it gotta be Extra Stout. Otherwise a strong porter or IPA for us, thank you.

Damn thread, got me jonesin' for some sloppy joe now :drool:
. . . except with veggie crumbles instead of cow ;)

Obi..
01-05-2011, 02:31 PM
. . . except with veggie crumbles instead of cow ;)[/size]

Tofu Joes? Jonesin' for Joes?:rofl:

fenrisx
01-05-2011, 02:52 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5210/5328572222_04a8916c68_z.jpg

Scuba
01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
^^Looks way watery and nothing like what I've made in the past

What recipe did you use?

fenrisx
01-05-2011, 04:57 PM
It was the recipe posted above, doubled, minus the pepper, half the amount of chopped onions, and added 1 tablespoon of mustard over what it called for. In that picture it had been simmering for a bit, and hadn't been stirred.

It was extremely tasty.. or 'bomb' should I say. My wife said it was bomb actually (she uses that phrase).

Scuba
01-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Interesting Fenrisx..

I made the turkey joes tonight. They were pretty good. Its weird though. You can't get the turkey to be the same texture as the ground beef. Make sure to use some olive oil when you brown the turkey to keep it moist. Other then that, it tasted exactly like beef. My dad saved himself a portion of it and I'm going to see if he notices any difference.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/Sycosurfer150/ui2ikfac2996e2fviewattth12d5a52a1bb.jpg

Intrepidyota
01-06-2011, 04:14 AM
I've never used ketchup for sloppy joes, I always use tomato soup, some worcestershire sauce, itaian seasoning, and some pepper. However, that is neither here nor there. Allow me to enlighten you as I have been enlightened:

Hamburger rolls, butter the faces of each side, put on the frying pan until the bottom is browned and crispy. This takes sloppy joes to a whole new level. :D

L33T35T Tacoma
01-06-2011, 07:37 AM
My wife said it was bomb actually (she uses that phrase).

She sounds like a keeper.

I may have to try this tonight Stephen

Scuba
01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
I've never used ketchup for sloppy joes, I always use tomato soup, some worcestershire sauce, itaian seasoning, and some pepper. However, that is neither here nor there. Allow me to enlighten you as I have been enlightened:

Hamburger rolls, butter the faces of each side, put on the frying pan until the bottom is browned and crispy. This takes sloppy joes to a whole new level. :D

Tomato soup sounds really watery. Maybe tomato paste would be thicker.

EDIT: My dad said he noticed no difference in the sloppy joes. And he's been my guinea pig for all of the other tries at it. He said "once you flavor it, its all the same."

corax
01-06-2011, 10:34 AM
I think I'm gonna try Scuba's recipe on the next camping trip

. . . except with veggie crumbles instead of cow ;)[/size]

While we're throwing out sloppy joe recipes, here's what I usually do:
8 oz button 'shrooms diced & cooked in a saute pan for 5 min or until soft
16 oz veggie crumbles (if using cow, cook this first)
1 tsp Fennel
1/2 tsp Cayenne
1/4 tsp Red Pepper flakes
Dash of Chilli Powder
Salt, Garlic Salt (or powder) and Pepper to taste
24 oz / 3 cups marinara and simmer for 10 minutes

If I were taking this camping, I'd probably premix the 'shrooms and spices so all I had to do was add the crumbles and marinara . . . or make the whole thing at home and just tupperware it in the cooler.

04 Rocko Taco
01-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I just do ground cow, with a can of manwich. Haha, then spicy brown mustard on the bun is a must! Some of these recipes sound great, I'm just not sure they are worth doing away the ease of opening manwich and voila. lol.

fenrisx
01-06-2011, 04:03 PM
I just do ground cow, with a can of manwich. Haha, then spicy brown mustard on the bun is a must! Some of these recipes sound great, I'm just not sure they are worth doing away the ease of opening manwich and voila. lol.
That's usually the route I take(Mannwich).

I made the first recipe, and other than dicing onions, it's hardly anymore work than Mannwich.