PDA

View Full Version : UFC 70

MTL_4runner
04-22-2007, 10:36 AM
I wasn't very impressed with the entire production (Kongo needs alot of work to be a big force in MMA although he's got good potential, Etin fight was just blah, Arlovski just acted like a fairy and danced around the ring barely throwing any strikes, Bisping was ok but needs better finishing skills.....they mentioned we'd see the Lyoto fight at the beginning, but never ended up showing it, well :flipoff:Spike TV).

The last fight between Cro Cop and Gonzaga was something special though. Man, that fight was worth the price of admission alone. I thought Gonzaga might pull off an upset somehow, but I thought it would be with a ground submission using BJJ (choke, armbar, kimura, etc), not a high kick to the head taken from Cro Cop's own highlight reel. It was just incredible to watch Cro Cop's leg bent under him when the lights went out upstairs and quite frankly I was shocked to see him even be able to walk out of the octagon under his own power. I think Gonzaga is going to be quite a force coming up in the heavyweight division, some much for the old PRIDE > UFC garbage (I bet even Fedor might get an asswhooping from this guy too). I'm sure he'll definately give Couture a heck of a run for his money when he fights for the title. :D

Anyone else see it?

If you didn't here's the video:
http://www.crocop.de/gonzaga

Bob98SR5
04-22-2007, 11:35 AM
jamie,

thanks for posting that vid. HOLY COW did gonzaga deliver that kick! what's amazing is that that kick was delivered from an open stance. if gonzaga didn't connect and knock him out, he wouldve been in a really bad spot and probably wouldve taken a good shot himself.

damn, those guys are really, really amazing fighters

bob

ebelen1
04-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Great knockout. I read somewhere that UFC bought Pride and that's one of the main reasons we're seeing more Pride guys in the UFC.

I think it's great that we're finally seeing both sets of fighters in the same arena so there is no more debate of who has the best fighters. I'm hoping that the fights going forward will get better and better.

Jamie, I didn't watch the whole Bisbing fight but he's fairly new so I think he's going to become a force to reckon with in the future.

Mojo_Risin
04-23-2007, 06:58 AM
We have it Tivo'd so we haven't watched the last fight (Cro Cop) but the bisbing fight was a pretty good fight. Other than that - it was boring. We axtually watched the Arlovski(sp?) fight on 1X speed fast forward it was so boring. Glad it was free though.

MTL_4runner
04-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Yeah Edwin, Zuffa bought Pride AFAIK so UFC = PRIDE for all intents and purposes. The issue was there were always hardcore people saying top PRIDE fighters (like Cro Cop and Fedor) would kill the UFC guys and perhaps that's true if you modify the rules (ie like take away the ground n' pound elbows), but the UFC clearly is gaining momentum and you'll probably see more unknown guys from PRIDE suddenly become more lethal from the rule and ring technique changes.

I actually like Bisping and think he's going to be a good fighter, but I need to see him against more skilled fighters (maybe Forrest or Tito would be a good fight for him now) before I declare him a real belt contender (I mean he'd have to beat the Iceman....which I doubt very seriously he could do). He's definately got great potential though.