PDA

View Full Version : Jim's (It'll Buff Out) Re-Build

Smiling_Jim
02-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Many of you know that I rolled my truck at Superstition Mtn (youtube: Superstition Mtn Rollover), and somehow walked away from it. The truck took a real beating, and I debated whether to part it out or total it. Anyway, the insurance totalled it, and send me a few bucks, less enough to keep it under a salvage title. Fortunately, I've been getting good advice from you guys, and a couple of local shops. Jay and Eric @ YotaMasters in Corona, and my buddy Steve, who owns Left Turn Racing in Lake Elsinore. Steve has an auto repair biz, and builds Sprint Cars as well. Steve got me a deal on new hood, fenders, grill, and fixed my radiator. This will be a 'slow' build thread since work has me tied up about 60 hours a week. With luck these pics will post up, and you'll see before, after the crash, and the rebuild attempt.

Smiling_Jim
02-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Here's the triple flip roll aftermath.

Smiling_Jim
02-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Amazingly, the truck ran after the flips/rolls, though the hood came in on the radiator, so we needed a tow back to camp. Fortunately, I had borrowed a motorhome and a trailer(I have great friends), so I could get the rig home. This 1st pic is back at my shop/driveway, where I had to straighten out the roof and strip out all the shattered glass. The high lift jack is a great tool. Besides using it as a lift, or winch, you can straighten body parts with it, as well.

Smiling_Jim
02-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Here's after jacking. One of the hardest jobs, was getting the glass out of the window frame. Then a half hour with the shop vac, sucking glass, sand and rock, out of the cab, and from under the hood.

Obi..
02-06-2011, 01:25 AM
I see a cab swap and roll cage in your future. :thumbup:

Smiling_Jim
02-06-2011, 01:56 AM
I'll keep the cab. My buddy, Steve, will help me weld on a new cab top. I've got a lot of experience welding, but have never done a sheet metal job that big. Plus, a cab/top is a two man deal anyway. And, yes there will be a cage. Actually a half exo, over the cab. This pic shows where I plan to mount the front tubes. Gonna weld right onto the A pillar junction. Also gonna build a top tube (not quite a stinger) onto the bumper, and maybe some light covers. I have spent many hours straightening the rad crossmember, and the fender head light area sheet metal. So, this time I want armor to cover the hood and light area.

Smiling_Jim
02-06-2011, 02:00 AM
Here I had to make some tools to bend metal back into place.

Smiling_Jim
02-06-2011, 02:06 AM
This guy is coming out. It's always worked well, but since everything is apart, I ordered a SPAL electric fan, and a Derale thermal switch.

Smiling_Jim
02-06-2011, 02:09 AM
Also, gonna pull the AC, and remount the PS pump cooler.

Smiling_Jim
02-06-2011, 02:12 AM
Here's the radiator back in...

Smiling_Jim
02-06-2011, 02:26 AM
And the new grill. I thought I was going to need new lights, since metal was crushed in around them. Except, they both worked when I tested them today. Down the road, I will re-wire them with heavy gauge, and a 40A relay right off the Optima battery.

One thing I would appreciate comments on. I drove it around the neighborhood, after putting the radiator in. The steering wheel is now 90 degrees off. Steve said I prolly bent the nuckle steering arm. But they are Marlin Chromoly, and they look straight. Also the toe-in is still 1/4", right where I set it last.

I am concerned that the crash may have stripped the splines in the Pitman arm or steering shaft. Don't know how to check this without taking everything apart. Any ideas, considering the linkage looks normal?

Smiling_Jim
02-06-2011, 02:32 AM
Here's the new hood. I'll prolly run out of money to paint the truck. So, I'm thinking a 'Rattle Can' paint job. Unless anybody knows a cheap single stage paint, that I could spray myself in the garage.

Smiling_Jim
02-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Here's a couple shots of my 'Tube Door'. If you have to ask 'Why no hinges or latch?' that would tell the rest of us that you did not look at the video of the rollover. It's 1.75 DOM Chromo, and leaves me room to add an arm rest if I want and even a cup holder. Plus, if needed, it comes off with four bolts, and stock doors can go back on.

Smiling_Jim
02-06-2011, 02:44 AM
Another...

some_odd_girl
02-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Looks like it's coming along pretty nicely!

Marc P
02-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Looks good...glad you are rebuilding

Crinale
02-06-2011, 01:29 PM
:good: im glad your rebuilding too, hope to wheel with you sometime :thumbup:

expatoz
02-06-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm glad your ok and working on the fix.

Do you have any neck or back problems from the rollover? I watched in horror and thought you might pull up pretty sore. Hope ur ok either way. Schit happens right!

wifesaysimadumbass
02-07-2011, 06:08 AM
yep Im still amazed that I was laughing and joking with Jim after that crazy of a roll. I still think there might be some brain damage in there somewhere :asshat:

Smiling_Jim
02-07-2011, 07:10 AM
B,b,b,b,b,brain Damage? Prolly from the Argon gas and paint chips I've been breathing lately. I'm still amazed as well. I've been hurt worse flying over the bars on my MTB bike :confused:

Obi..
02-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Dain bramage hurt Mongo nol. I've been hurt worse flying over the bars on my MTB bike :confused:

LOL..BTDT. Nothing like cracking the top of a Giro full-face open at Downieville after having knee skated your shin guards through the rock garden.

04 Rocko Taco
02-08-2011, 01:17 PM
and not all that slow. I love it. Keep up the good work. After my roll, my steering wheel was the same way. I checked all of my linkages, and everything appeared to be fine... I just pulled the steering wheel off and re-centered it, and bolted it back on. This may be tougher in anything new enough to have an airbag, I am unsure of that. Mine is an '84, there is nothing in my steering wheel except horn contacts.

Crinale
02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
an 89 does not have airbags either :thumbup:

Smiling_Jim
02-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Mine has one. But it's behind the wheel, not in it. :headscratch:

Anyway, got the new PS cooler hoses on this evening. Plus the E fan and switch arrived. The headlights came on OK, and aligned pretty well. So, almost ready to mount the new grill and modified bumper. Pics later...

Smiling_Jim
02-12-2011, 04:14 AM
A 'Door' pic...

Smiling_Jim
02-12-2011, 04:15 AM
'Door' and kick plate. It's actually easy to climb in and out, but I will weld some grab handles onto to EXO when I build that. I drove it around the neighborhood like this. Really nice how much more you can see without the doors on. I always planned to build Summer doors, but gonna like this more, I think. I may need full doors to pass DMV safety inspection (get the salvage title back to standard title), don't know yet.

Smiling_Jim
02-12-2011, 04:24 AM
Here's some expanded metal, cut out for a rock screen for the radiator. Gonna mount the PS cooler to that.

Smiling_Jim
02-12-2011, 04:27 AM
Here's the SPAL fan and DERALE Therm switch. The truck never got hot, but the SPAL will take some load off the little 22RE engine. Plus, I can switch it off from the cab for water crossings.

Smiling_Jim
02-12-2011, 04:30 AM
Since the truck is apart for the rebuild, I am taking the opportunity to chase threads that were buggered up by the PO.

Smiling_Jim
02-12-2011, 04:31 AM
PS Cooler almost ready to mount...

Obi..
02-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Since the truck is apart for the rebuild, I am taking the opportunity to chase threads that were buggered up by the PO.

Jim, on that specific thread you are chasing there, it's the nut behind the front frame horn is just inside the edge opening of the body mount. Do yourself a favor and lay a quick weld bead on the edge of that nut. I see people time and time again having it snap loose from torque from the bolt, or winching.

Heck, for that matter mine's still loose.

Tankota
02-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Awesome Jim. I'm glad to see it coming back together already. As for your steering question, I bet that in your roll over the entire truck took such a beating that everything probably shifted around a little. In a steering system if just a couple parts get tweaked just a little it will shift your steering wheel. My old steering used to do that if I hit something a little too hard, nothing visibly bent, but the wheel was off.

YOu also mentioned paint. I'll have to look but I think I still have some actual military vehicle paint in olive, black and coyote tan. I got a couple gallons of each a while back.

TeckniX
11-15-2011, 09:24 AM
A pretty good comeback considering the roll - Keep us updated as the exo gets built. Are you planning to install a cage/window net to finish the rear of the 'door'?
http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/Product/91073_L.jpg