PDA

View Full Version : *Long Term Planning* End of Summer Rubicon

Crinale
03-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Alright guys, How many people would be interested in doing the Rubicon later this year? I've always wanted to run it, and think it would be an awesome time to do it. :hillbill:

I want to do it Labor Day weekend, theoretically finishing in Lake Tahoe on Labor Day (Monday, September 5th), which would mean starting either Thursday or Friday before.

Smiling_Jim
04-20-2011, 08:24 PM
I am very interested in this idea!

Guys post up your thoughts...

4x4mike
04-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Once the snow melts it's a freeway most of the summer and darn right crazy during the holiday weekends. I'd keep this in mind. I'll watch the thread as it gets closer. I don't want to take my 4Runner up there but maybe my bike as I've done that before.

Kevin, what rig are you taking?

Crinale
04-20-2011, 11:56 PM
well i would have been taking the 4runner, but its for sale now, so i dont know if ill be doin this anymore.. especially since i will have just moved to San Diego a month before this.

4x4mike
04-21-2011, 07:47 AM
I didn't realize the original post was older. Currently there is a lot of snow up there but guys are still doing snow runs in the area. It's a pretty active spot year round.

Crinale
04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
I didn't realize the original post was older. Currently there is a lot of snow up there but guys are still doing snow runs in the area. It's a pretty active spot year round.

no kidding.. im friends with the FOTR on facebook, and they keep posting snow level pics :P like, the roof of a bathroom just barely peaking out of the snow = 10-12 feet.. haha

Seanz0rz
04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
its on my list of things to do, but i dont think my truck is currently capable of making that trip. i think i need more armor, and for sure more spare parts!!!

4x4mike
04-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Sean, your truck can probably make it but it'll look like butt when your done. That is one reason I would never take my 4Runner up there. There are bypasses but things aren't always as they appear on the internet.

Obi..
04-22-2011, 04:48 PM
^Why I am reverting to ours being the travel rig and saving for a p.o.s. down the road if I start to miss the granite, or get something newer and Wimpy becomes the pos.

Crinale
04-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Chicks Dig Body Damage :hillbill:

slomatt
04-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Some friends and I ran the Rubicon in 2003 in two Nissans, both had 32" tires (bald tires on the Xterra) and rear lockers. It took us 3 days but we made it through with no major damage other than a small dent and a broken tail light, but we had to be really careful and go very slowly. Overall it was a great experience.

If you do go in a mildly built 4runner I would strongly recommend going during the week so that you can go at a slower speed without blocking the bigger rigs.

Pictures at this link:
http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/rubicon2003Huy

- Matt

Crinale
04-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Ya ive heard the Rubicon has softened a bit.. but if I was to do this in my 4runner I wouldnt go that slow :hillbill: and i can change a cv in 20 mins :thumbup:

troyboy162
04-24-2011, 02:31 AM
I think its sopposed to have mulitple lines everywhere right? i would imagine taking the easy line everytime is what allowed them to run the 2010 4runner on it. kinda like me on clawhammer... :P

some_odd_girl
04-24-2011, 09:05 AM
If chicks dig body damage, and I ever get me a rig.... I might be in trouble! :P