PDA

View Full Version : FireFox 4

fenrisx
03-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Is finally released.

I'd used a few of the beta versions in the past, but ended up solely using Chrome. While the wife uses FireFox 3.whatever.

I downloaded the official release of FireFox 4 yesterday though, and might use it instead of Chrome. Both seem to work equally as well. I just like the idea of using the Mozilla product more than Google. I have this fear that Google will one day be the President of Earth.

corax
03-23-2011, 12:10 PM
I just like the idea of using the Mozilla product more than Google. I have this fear that Google will one day be the President of Earth.

Likewise - I just don't trust Google with the amount of data mining and info that they have access to. I don't even like using gmail, but I've had it as my professional contact for a while . . .

I've been using the Firefox 4 Beta for a few weeks and maybe only had it freeze up on me once or twice - I don't see why I ever used IE

Seanz0rz
03-23-2011, 02:16 PM
i love it, been using it since monday (the day before it came out it was on their FTP servers)

the only bothersome thing is the 2 clicks it takes to get to my bookmark list, instead of one... other than that, its perfect.

Lee
03-23-2011, 02:46 PM
it's SO great. Only reason I really have stuck with FF for the last couple years was that their add-ons can't be beat.

Safari and Chrome extensions are limited in comparison.

I LOVE 4 so far, app-tabs are the greatest thing ever.

some_odd_girl
03-23-2011, 03:21 PM
I've used Chrome ever since I got my laptop, and I don't have problems with it... so I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :P I will say I loathe IE though.

Okie81
03-23-2011, 03:34 PM
I downloaded the official release of FireFox 4 yesterday though, and might use it instead of Chrome.
I switched from Chrome to FireFox mostly for the "mouse gestures" add-on. It's very handy; I hope the new version supports it.

DHC6twinotter
03-23-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm going to have to try the new version tonight. I've been having issues with really slow page loads on the current version of FF.

fenrisx
03-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Likewise - I just don't trust Google with the amount of data mining and info that they have access to. I don't even like using gmail, but I've had it as my professional contact for a while . . .

Yeah, I use GMail too... and like the way it works. Though.. for the reason stated above I'd like to change. I want an Android phone.. but again.. I'm weary.

CJM
03-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Do most of the current plugins work for version four? im using forecast fox, ad block, etc.

Lee
03-23-2011, 08:55 PM
those 2 work.

I found only 1 that didn't, which is woot watcher

fenrisx
03-23-2011, 08:57 PM
ChatZilla doesn't work either.

CJM
03-24-2011, 03:42 PM
now the bigger question-did they fix the memory leak?

Crinale
03-24-2011, 11:52 PM
now the bigger question-did they fix the memory leak?
You mean the memory leak that they have been saying they'll fix since version 1.5? i doubt it.

(i will preface this by saying i havent tried FF4 yet) I dont like Firefox anymore. It has gotten really inefficient for web browsing. I used FF back in its original beta state, all the way through 3.0. Recently however, Mozilla has been trying to cram too much crap into Firefox, which has made it a rather slow browser (very far cry from its original intended purpose). Personally, Chrome is the most efficient browser out right now, its simple, light on resources, and FAST. Anymore i think i almost prefer the new versions of IE over FF..

CJM
03-25-2011, 07:26 AM
I just got FF 4, its good no issues. Still eats memory like you wouldnt believe (I have 14 tabs open and its eating 209,000k) but its much faster.

What keeps me coming back to FF is the apps and add ons you can use and the simple interface. I dont trust google, not with the data mining they do and forget IE-always issues with that junk.

fenrisx
03-25-2011, 08:36 AM
The new IE is supposed to be good as well. I think between IE9, FF4, and Chrome.. you can't really go wrong. Other than the issue with Chrome and the chat on this forum.

Crinale
03-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Chrome = the only one of that list that fully supports html 5. My friend is a web developer, and his html5 markup was having issues on all the other browsers, so he had to go through and change it all to old school html.