PDA

View Full Version : Google Voice questions

paddlenbike
07-15-2011, 11:17 AM
I know there are some techies on here and I can use their help. I have an Android smartphone on the Verizon network and I have a Google Voice telephone number. I can send and receive text messages for free over wifi without counting against my Verizon texting plan.

When I'm in Canada later this year can I:
-still receive text messages for free assuming I have a wifi connection?
-make and receive calls from the U.S. over wifi for free?

If wifi isn't available, I'm assuming the second I activate the Verizon data mobile data button I will be charged for international data rates? But here's the answer I don't have...if someone calls me on my Google Voice telephone number I'm guessing it will use the Verizon network and I will still be charged. But if I deactivate the cel phone portion of the phone with an app killer and I'm connected to wifi, will I receive the call?

Your help is appreciated! It's not critical that I be reachable but it would be nice to catch up on texts and calls (for free) when wifi is available.

Obi..
07-16-2011, 06:58 PM
I don't have a Verizon plan but IIRC with AT&T the answer was yes this year, we just had it interlinked w/ the Mexican partner company. I got a billing issue for charges and all I did was complain and they removed them.

Here's what I was able to find for you..
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=06746eec6a8eac2b&hl=en

http://www.mycellphonemyterms.com/General/2010/09/getting-google-voice-to-work-in-canada/

There's a forum I can't remember the name of right now that has a bunch of traveler's hacks/tips for stuff like this, wish I could help more.

paddlenbike
07-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks, those articles came to the same conclusion I found as well. I can text for free via wifi between the U.S. and Canada but Google Voice is not capable of telephone calls over wifi just yet. There are apparently ways to do it--I also learned that eventually Google Voice will phone calls over wifi capability.

Thanks for the help!

Crinale
07-21-2011, 06:51 PM
i know my friend uses Google voice exclusively on his phone.. that way he always has the same tel number. He travels back and forth from California to Taiwan (where his family and fiancee is) frequently.

paddlenbike
07-22-2011, 07:36 AM
I did some more research and discovered the following:
- set your Android phone to Airplane Mode. This disables phone communication, wifi, bluetooth and mobile data.
- now, turn on wifi. You will not be able to re-enable bluetooth or mobile data, but the phone lets you re-enable wifi in airplane mode.
- with the data and phone portion of the phone off, you will not incur international charges. Google Voice can then be used to text over wifi and an app like Skype will allow you to call over wifi. Sweet!