PDA

View Full Version : Loose Seatbelts

jrallan26
04-23-2007, 02:31 PM
My seatbelts in both of my Toyota's (98 Camry and my Tacoma) have very loose seatbelts. You think Toyota would have a recall on this before someone gets killed....

Has anyone just gone to Toyota to get these fixed??? I really don't want to do any "seatbelt mod", just in case I screw up and belts don't work. That way if my wife or whoever is in the car doesn't get killed from my negligence(bad workmanship).

Seanz0rz
04-23-2007, 05:31 PM
loose as in the belt doesnt coil back up into the b pillar? i know what you mean. i always tighten my belt across my chest anyway, but it is annoying that the buckle and belt dont retract and are more likely to get in the door, etc.

i dont think its a safety issue because you should be tightening your own belt anyway, and the belts lock in really any situation other than normal flat constant velocity driving.

Lee
04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
i hate how while wheeling they tighten up and wont release :(

Seanz0rz
04-23-2007, 06:32 PM
last time i went wheeling, i put a small spring clamp on mine, at the perfect spot of still holding me in my seat, but with enough room to be able to look out my window, etc.

MTL_4runner
04-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Unfortunately the only real way to remove the slack is to replace them (not cheap either). If you're skilled you can take them apart, clean and regrease. It also helps to wash the belts in soap and water since they get stiffer as they get dirtier and the washing brings some pliability back so they retract better after.

Lee
04-24-2007, 03:32 AM
It also helps to wash the belts in soap and water since they get stiffer as they get dirtier and the washing brings some pliability back so they retract better after.
nice, i had never thought to do that.... hmmm... its really just my seatbelt, none of the others, that matters... maybe ill give this a shot soon.

MTL_4runner
04-24-2007, 04:25 AM
Hit them with a little scotchguard after they dry because it will buy you time in between washings.

surf4runner
04-24-2007, 12:53 PM
any yota ive owned has had this same issue. the belt wont retract on its own.
(IIRC bob? did a write up on it)

habanero
04-24-2007, 04:59 PM
No doubt. I've got so many dents from the kids forgetting to throw them back in the car before they close the door.....I cringe every time they slam the doors closed.

96 Runner
04-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Oh dude I hear ya! No kids for us yet, but friends and family have managed to put some nice dents and scratches in the door well by slamming the stinking seatbelt buckle in the door. Grrr!

Erich_870
04-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Oh dude I hear ya! No kids for us yet, but friends and family have managed to put some nice dents and scratches in the door well by slamming the stinking seatbelt buckle in the door. Grrr!

Huge Ditto,

On top of that I've noticed friends that drive, gulp, American made cars, slam the doors twice as hard so they do extra damage when the seat belt doesn't retract :chair:

Erich :roll:

DSN46
04-25-2007, 12:04 AM
I have this same irritating issue going on!
I thought for sure I saw a write up once on how to tighten the retractor back up. I wish I would have saved it at the time. Maybe someone else can remember?

James