PDA

View Full Version : Full Floater Question

Albuquerque Jim
04-23-2007, 09:05 PM
At the rate I keep breaking things I will go broke. With that said, while replacing my rear diff last weekend I noticed a significant amount of "play" in my rear axle bearings. I figure I may as well install new rear axle bearings.

I know FROR has a full-floater set up with disk brakes. This kit runs about $1k. My question is (and I am waiting a response from FROR) can I go to a full-floater set up and retain drum brakes? This is purely a cost reduction context, and I am not too unhappy with my drums, they work.

Experience or thoughts?

AxleIke
04-23-2007, 10:06 PM
my thought is no.

That is based simply upon how the FF set up appears to work. Toyota drums would not allow for the "hub" set up that is apparant in FROR's pictures.

Again, i'd wait to see what FROR says, but my thinking is no.

Albuquerque Jim
05-08-2007, 10:17 PM
I heard back from Brian at FROR. The answer is no, you cannot retain drum brakes with their Full Floater set up.

I decided to keep the drums and upgrade to Poly Performance Chromo Shafts, since I have to replace my bearings anyways. I couldn't justify the extra expense of the discs and FF.

Cheese
05-08-2007, 10:47 PM
The break parts are now what kills cash on the project, it is the 800 for the other stuff.

Chromo in this situation is where the smart money gets spent. I have them, Steve has them, no one really breaks them. Good work.

SteveO
05-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Of course you could go full floater and never have to worry about it in the future.

bamachem
05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
yeah, but w/ chromos, you don't have to worry anyway IMO.

sschaefer3
05-09-2007, 05:41 PM
You also get to keep your ABS sensors which would be the intelligent thing to do on an IFS truck that still has front ABS sensors.

bamachem
05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
ahhh, good point since it does still retain the IFS.

Albuquerque Jim
05-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Of course you could go full floater and never have to worry about it in the future.

You are probably right...but I cannot justify the $1600 for FF compared to $450 for Chromo's and $100 for bearings. Remember, I just put down $1000 for a new diff and $600 to have another rebuilt. (There goes the $1600 for FF) Plus, my original bearings lasted for 130k miles, if these last that long I will be happy.

In addition, I have read several posts on TTORA that claim the e-brake on the Supra calipers is not "all that". With a manual I need an e-brake that works.

Cheese
05-09-2007, 08:58 PM
If you manage to break one of these Chromo rears with 35's and a real engine, I will kiss you.

I changed rear diffs and outputs with the HGC, not front diffs, birfs and one rear shaft. They run stockers amd at least 40's.

After breaking my ABS sensor, I had forgotten how that would play on your rig.

And don't forget to keep the sweet 4.30s so you have cheap spares and can laugh as I dream of having a Tundra diff in my axle instead of a spare diff in the shed.