PDA

View Full Version : Big concerns with my front suspension – please help.

aowRS
04-23-2007, 09:14 PM
My 4Runner has developed a very annoying symptom in the front end. When going over minor pavement irregularities or ripples, the front end will exhibit a significant ‘shudder’. Normal dips in the road will have no effect. It is actually alarming enough that I am taking the time to post this, rather than laying on my back under the truck theorizing on what may be amiss. I welcome any and all thoughts, and will attempt to explain the current state of the truck.

I purchased the truck new in 2001 and now have 125,XXX miles on it, mostly highway.

At around 70,000 miles (three years ago), I replaced the stock suspension with a set of Bilstein HD shocks and factory new ’99 4WD/auto/V6 coils. Shortly thereafter, I ditched the stock 265/70/16 Dunlop TG35 Grandtrek tires and installed a set of 275/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVOs (standard load). This combination gave me a great ride, whether on the highway or during mild off-road usage. With fairly religious 5,000 mile rotations, I was able to get close to 50,000 miles on the REVOS – I loved the way the truck rode and how it looked with a slightly fatter tire. Tire wear was even for about 40,000 miles before the tires started getting loud. Before replacing the tires, I noticed quite a bit of lateral play in the steering rack, so I replaced the rack bushings with polyurethane pieces from Wheeler’s. I also replaced the completely-degraded sway bar bushings with polyurethane pieces at that time.

At 120,000 miles (January 2007), I replaced the worn tires with a set of 265/75/16 REVOs (standard load). I think this is where the symptoms became noticeable. At the time, the shop (Goss’s Garage) noticed that I had significant play in the steering rack, which would make an alignment difficult. Since I was there and witnessed the play, I decided to personally replace the rack with a factory new piece. Prior to this, I had noticed more and more play in the front end, as well as a distinct ‘clunking’ when going over uneven surfaces. I replaced the entire rack (plus tie rods) a few weeks ago (with a bad back) and then had the truck properly aligned (the front left camber bolt refused to budge, so the shop resorted to a torch and brute force to remove it. The threads were gone and I bit the bullet for a new bolt set from Toyota.) The next day I took it on a 1,000 trip. It was very smooth, but the ‘shuddering’ issue reared its head constantly.

So here I am. The truck drives very smoothly on the highway, but as soon as I drive over a fairly-small pavement irregularity or rough patch, the entire front end simply ‘shudders’ very noticeably. When this happens, I can see the hood shake, can feel the 'shudder' through the steering wheel, and can see the dashboad shake. It’s only for a second or two, but is so distinct that I am determined to find the cause. I know these are trucks, but I have enjoyed nearly 6 years of reliable, and smooth driving. The condition is annoying enough that I don’t even want to take the truck beyond normal around-town driving, and cringe when I see a rough patch in the road.

Here are some thoughts that have crossed my mind. Bear in mind that the truck is otherwise stock and has been overly maintained by myself. Even at 125,XXX miles, the truck looks new from 10 feet:

- Upper or lower control arm bushings. Has anyone experienced failures of these? Are they replaceable?
- Lower shock mount rubber bushings. I presume these are cast into the eye and are not replaceable?
- Worn front shocks. These are roughly three years old and have around 55,000 highway miles on them. Absolutely no off-road abuse.
- Excessive tire weight. The 265/75/16 REVOs weigh 45 lbs each. My former 275/70 REVOs weighed 43 lbs each. My original 265/70/16 Dunlops weighed 36 lbs each. That’s a nine-pound difference between the stock tires and what I have now, but only a two-pound difference between the REVOs.
- Failed lower control arm bushing. Excessive heat from the torch may have roasted the rubber bushing.

Please let me know your thoughts. I appreciate any and all responses, but am really looking for some real-world possibilities/solutions. Thanks in advance!

Andreas

bamachem
04-24-2007, 04:32 AM
did you replace the steering rack bushings w/ new poly ones? if you're using the old rubber ones on the new rack, then the rack will still move around and will exhibit the same symptoms as a worn-out rack, and it can even make that "CLUNK" noise that you describe every once in a while as the rubber bushings get pinched and you get metal-to-metal contact.

aowRS
04-24-2007, 05:34 AM
Andy,
I certainly did - twice. Once last year when I first noticed the slop in the rack mounting, and then again with a new set when I installed the rack a few weeks ago.

Andreas

bamachem
04-24-2007, 05:42 AM
wait, they used a torch on the cam bolts and then didn't replace the bushings that the bolts slide thru?

another thing to check would be the bushings in the top of the strut packs up front. you might have some degredation there or even a loose retaining nut (on the top spindle of the front struts) that could give you some "looseness" feeling in the front.

aowRS
04-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Andy,
The front left bolt was the only one that required "assistance". I did voice my concerns about the rubber bushing since I watched every move that day. I was told the bushing should be fine. My gut tells me otherwise.

Andreas

MTL_4runner
04-24-2007, 06:13 AM
So did this shudder occur before you ever used the torch on the cam bolt?
Was there a definitive time it became pronounced or did it happen slowly and got worse over time?

aowRS
04-24-2007, 06:29 AM
I would have to guess that I really started noticing the 'shudder' after the alignment work. But I'm really certain - the last few weeks have been a blur with work, travel, and spending hours under the 4Runner wrenching.

Andreas

MTL_4runner
04-24-2007, 06:36 AM
OK, then that would give you a pretty good idea where to start. I'd at least pull the A-arm out and have a look at what happened to the bushing (be sure to mark the cam positions with some nailpolish so you know how to reinstall them properly).

Do you get any movement if you jack up the truck and physically try and move the wheel in any axes (in/out, side/side, up/down)?

surf4runner
04-24-2007, 12:44 PM
there is a ball joint recall for gen3 runners, worth replacing if its covered. i got a free alignment from the stealership.

aowRS
04-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Jamie,
I have not had the time to get the truck back in the air in order to further troubleshoot. Hopefully I can take some time tomorrow for this.

Surf,
I've had the truck since new, at the same address, but have never received anything in the mail regarding a recall. Do you have any further info?

Andreas

Seanz0rz
04-24-2007, 01:28 PM
call toyota corporate customer service, give them your vin, maybe some other general info, and they will tell you if you are eligible for it

surf4runner
04-24-2007, 01:45 PM
no info (maybe @ yotatech?)
it was not published AFAIK, but when i went to the stealer they said yes and took care of it. i dont think i 'needed' it, but it was free and so was the alignment :D

Mossyrocks
04-25-2007, 05:23 PM
I had the exact same problem and never could find it, replaced all the steering bushings, retorqued everything and nothing fixed it........... So I torched the IFS off. Id really like to know what you find out though. It still bothers me.

I thought it was maybe the B/Js but now that I had one fail on my tundy I changed my mind because I never felt that in the tundy, in fact, I never felt anything out of the norm before my wheel fell off.

aowRS
04-25-2007, 05:48 PM
I wish I knew more about the control arm bushings, and what their life expectancy is. The 'shudder', when it happens, is only momentary. I will remove the front sway bar in a few days to see if anything feels differently. I did drop the tire pressure a bit to 35 psi, and the shudder seems a bit less.

Does anyone know of a write-up that describes the control arm bushing replacement? Or are they permanent?

Andreas

Mossyrocks
04-25-2007, 06:00 PM
sway bar did nothing for me, I took it off as well. I had 210k on the odo at the time though.... well it started at 190k but still, the c/a bushings were fine when I removed them. I would think that youd be able to check the c/a bushing without removing them though. just lift it up and loosen the nut. Shake it, hit it with a hammer, or whatever.

aowRS
04-25-2007, 06:11 PM
The whole 'shuddering' sensation is rubbery, while it lasts. What else could it be?

Andreas

bamachem
04-25-2007, 06:26 PM
it could be resonant vibrations of the front being ever-so-slightly out of alignment.

Lee
04-25-2007, 06:39 PM
that or as a result it gets into a rhythm that feels like a shudder over bumps.

i have no such shudder, though who can tell anymore.... my truck is too far from stock right now for me to complain about shudders or wobbles.

aowRS
04-26-2007, 04:36 AM
This is maddening, as I tend to dive into any car-related repair without hesitation. But then again, I tend to know what the issue is and can take care of the problem.

Andy,
I would be hard pressed to find blame with the alignment. I stood there and watched every move until the values were within spec. I do still wonder if the excessive torching of the front left camber bolt destroyed the bushing. Since the rear bolt was in place, they had no reason to drop the arm and actually inspect the bushing. At that point they were simply glad that the alignment was progressing - it took from 8 am until almost 4 pm. Because of one seized bolt.

If I knew that I could successfully undo the alignment bolts and drop the arms, I would. But they heaved on those things so much that I think I may be up against a wall trying.

Andreas

MTL_4runner
04-26-2007, 05:44 AM
Andreas, have you gotten a chance to get under the truck and physically try to move the wheel in any axes (in/out, side/side, up/down) yet?
If you're getting a fairly big vibration, so should be able to feel something being out (other than the alignment itself).

aowRS
04-26-2007, 06:52 AM
Jamie,
I've been slammed with work this week and intend to carve out some time this weekend to investigate further.

The steering is smooth, the ride is smooth, the tires show no signs of odd wear - but as soon as I go over a ripple or rough spot in the pavement, the front end simply shudders.

What are the chances that the three-year-old Bilsteins are shot? In less than 60,000 highway & around-town miles. I would have a hard time believing this.

Andreas

Lee
04-26-2007, 07:29 AM
ive put a ton of stress on my bilsteins and theyre still good after around 40K on them.

paddlenbike
04-26-2007, 08:14 AM
You have done everything right so far. It sounds like you have a bad rubber bushing somewhere. I had an issue like this with my '94. The rubber bushing in the lower shock eye had shifted, allowing the shock body to contact the steel mounting point. What I was thinking was a shudder was actually just a sound, not a feeling, if that makes any sense. As Andy mentioned, I would check all of the rubber isolated points. Check the three bolts that attach the strut assembly to the chassis and the upper shock nut. Hopefully it's not an A-arm bushing.

MTL_4runner
04-26-2007, 08:26 AM
On the lower A-arm you can also just detach the spindle (4 bolts underneath) and lower shock mount (1 bolt) and move it up and down by hand. If you do indeed have a bad bushing you should be able to feel it right away. I'd do both sides as well just to make sure you can compare if one side is out.

aowRS
04-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Looks like I have my Sunday cut out for me!

I also thought about pulling both struts assemblies out, taking them apart, and checking the shock action.

One way or the other, the front end will get a thorough going-thru this weekend.

Are the lower bushings replaceable?

Andreas

MTL_4runner
04-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Are the lower bushings replaceable?

That's definately a dealer question.