PDA

View Full Version : Steering shaft rattle/knock fix (vid tutorial)

Bob98SR5
12-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Hey guys,

Been awhile, I know. Got a Mac a few months ago and finally had time to learn how to use iMovie. I don't care what you fookin' Mac fanboys say, there's nothing f'g intuitive about Macs. Regretting I purchased this gay POS. Anyways I'm sure I'll get used to it one of these days. :flipoff:

Anyways, here's a quick vid I put together on how to weld fix the steering shaft slop I've had in this truck for who knows how long. Thanks to Route1286 from TTORA who wrote the most kick ass writeup. Credit and links are in the vid. Enjoy the Judas Priest track while it lasts---I'm sure Youtube will remove it soon:

steering shaft fix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geZxI9g3BrI#ws)

This fix makes the truck feel so much better now that I don't feel shock n' knock through the steering wheel.

Seanz0rz
12-27-2011, 03:24 PM
i know what ill be doing this spring....

thanks bob!

Bob98SR5
12-27-2011, 03:48 PM
sean, its super simple. i could probably do it in less than an hour.

4x4mike
12-27-2011, 10:04 PM
As always, great write up Bob. Good to know it's a pretty easy fix as removing the shaft is a bit intimidating.

Got a Mac a few months ago and finally had time to learn how to use iMovie. I don't care what you fookin' Mac fanboys say, there's nothing f'g intuitive about Macs. Regretting I purchased this gay POS.

This had me cracking up about as much as your late night facebook status updates.

paddlenbike
01-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Glad you got it figured out Bob! And BTW, all DIY repair videos should feature Judas Priest.

Seanz0rz
08-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Did mine today.

A few notes:
There are 4 wiring connectors at the bottom of the steering wheel and 3 more at the ignition switch.
The steering shaft bolt at the firewall must come all the way out.
The 4runner steering column is different from the Tacoma. Many report not having to disassemble the column to weld. That is not true for the 4runner.
Once you get the outer cover off, after removing the springs and Allen bolts, mark which side of the shaft is at the top of the steering wheel. It is possible to put it in 180 degrees off, and the flat won't match up with the shaft in the firewall.
To seperate the shaft from the steering wheel, rotate the shaft up towards the top of the wheel. Once it's about 90 degrees, you should be able to lift it straight up.

If you haven't done this fix yet, do it now! If you need someone to weld it, post up and we'll find someone who can. I will do it for a fast food lunch!

4x4mike
08-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Did mine today.

If you haven't done this fix yet, do it now! If you need someone to weld it, post up and we'll find someone who can. I will do it for a fast food lunch!

What if the steering is still tight? Is it worth it or would it be easier to tack the shaft in place before it needs it? I know it's a PITA to go through all the work but it could prevent future problems and/or headaches getting it done.

Seanz0rz
08-29-2013, 07:36 PM
I'd say if you already have the knee panel off, then it would be worth doing to be proactive. It's 7 bolts and 8 or so wire connectors.