PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wiring Converter

gpcollen
04-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Well, I finally ordered my Converter from etrailer. I had the cheap converter and was just going to wire it in but decided to order a new one and use the other for my van.

Install went pretty smooth except for 2 things:

1 - The hole that the old wire went through and out to the trailer was not large enough so I had to mod the hole

2 - I installed the converter on the same side (left) as the old one. When I hooked my trailer up, the blinkers on the trailer were reversed. I suppose this tells me that maybe I should have hooked the converter up on the right side.

As I have thown away all instructions and evidence, can anyone chime in on what they did.

I am rectifying this problem by modding the trailer wires for now. This will not help if I pull another trailer, however.

gpcollen
05-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Just in case anyone cares or searches...

This aftermarket, and others from what I hear, I designed to go on the right rear side of the vehicle, as opposed to the stock unit. I can only assume that this is so you do not have to go through the trouble of removing the old unit.

So the fix for if you installed it on the drivers side rear - just cut and splice the two wires in the unit under the vehicle.

Robinhood4x4
05-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Good to know. Thanks collen

BruceTS
05-30-2007, 09:43 PM
to keep my aftermarket one on the same side, I reversed the wiring, but if your using the T connector type, it must go in the right side.