PDA

View Full Version : 2013 4Runner due for a face lift?

DHC6twinotter
03-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Hey all,

It's hard to believe the 5th gen 4Runner is about to enter its 4th year of production, and it seems that it is about time for a mid-life upgrade. If the 2013 4Runner has a mid-life upgrade, any ideas what might change?

My thoughts on what could change for the 2013 model:

Exterior:
-Revised front grill and bumper
-Revised headlights with projectors and optional HID on LTD models
-Turn signals relocated from bumper to headlight assemblies.
-LED DRLs in front bumper (as seen on new Carolla and Prius)
-Revised rear bumper
-Revised rear lights with LEDs (hopefully they won't stick out so far)
-New rim designs from Tacoma offered on 4Runner
-New colors, maybe Pyrite Mica and Spruce Mica

Interior:
-Optional rear seat ultra-wide screen DVD system for rear seat passengers on LTD models (same as Sienna)
-LED accent lighting on interior (probably not likely)

Mechanical:
-A760 6 speed automatic replaces A750 (not likely, but would be nice)
-No changed to the 4.0 V6
-New more fuel efficient engine option (I've read rumors, maybe a re-tuned 3.5 V6 engine. Also not likely, imho)
-Electric steering

Other:

I'd like to see a new Sport Edition offered. It would be based off the SR5, but uses the hood scoop and smoked lights from the TE. All trim should be color matched, new sport rims standard, and a slightly lowered ride stance. Leather optional.

Any thoughts?

Seanz0rz
03-03-2012, 05:18 PM
10K off the price?

id really like to see the lights stick out less.

^VooDoo^
03-04-2012, 03:55 AM
WOuld like to see it follow its name instead of being a stationwagon, Should just call it something else altogether.

Lee
03-04-2012, 08:12 AM
LED tails and projector lenses are sorely missing
my 08 4Runner has both of these for gods sake!

YotaFun
03-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Dan, Good points but very doubtful on a lot of it.

I honestly don't know where to begin to tell you guys.
But the 5th Gen is going to stay as it body and lens wise.

Maybe in a year or two we will see the projection lens and the LED rear tails, but I am going to tell you right now the bulging lens is here to stay, as shown on a lot of other models.

Dan, up until 06' (05' being the last year) the turn signals have always been in the bumper, to me that is a "4Runner" trait not just a Toyota one, which is reflected in some of there other truck and SUV models.

As far is the Rim options, you can walk into any dealer and go, "I want those rims on that Tacoma on my 4Runner" and sales will bug service to get them switched.

Color is all based on demographic, while those colors would be awesome, if they don't see it selling then there not going to put it on the production line.

The DVD option would be nice, but I think Toyota right now is trying to focus there attention on there eTune system. once they get the iron work out on that then maybe they might focus again on getting other electronics into all Toyota models.

Mechanical wise, I am sure Toyota thinks the A750 is efficient enough for the 4.0l. I find Toyota focus's more on there engine design before transmission, they like to get the refine there engine and emissions before they get on to there MPGs...

I would prefer they stick with the 4.0l or the 2.7l in the 4Runner, adding another option just isn't cost effective, if they do, they will knock off the 4.0l in return for the 3.5l and I would much rather work with the 4.0l imho

The steering is where its at with power assist, and thats about it. Tell you the truth I pray to god the steering stays hydraulic, more electronics make it easy for more stuff to brake, and if/when the power cuts out on those, you feel you need a pry bar to turn the wheel where at least with the hydraulic there is some give...

Sean, we all wish the price tag would be less, but for what they offer, a body on frame platform for what it is its what its worth, my Stepdad paid 32k for is SE model in 02' new, with the price of inflation and what not, its still priced accordingly I think.

^VooDoo^ in my opinion this current gen of the 4Runner is closer to the true 4Runner roots then the 4th gen... Its still capable off road as well ad getting you down the road, which Toyota was always shooting for with the 4Runner. It wasn't till the very last bit of 09' that they even brought back the locker option... AND they brought back the J-Shift transfercase, no more stupid knob and electric motor (except for the LTD cause you know most American are lazy and when it comes to luxury it should just work on its own)... I'd take a 5th gen over a 4th gen any day, and I would gladly hit the trails with it and still be proud to call it a 4Runner. And your not going to see another 2 door SUV option or a removable top from Toyota for a while, if they do, with our luck it will be put under the Scion name because its hip and cool, and will probably resemble something like the Nissan Murano Covertible while is just a beefed up AWD car...

I am sure it will be either this year or next lee for the LED tails, Toyota seems to follow that consistency in the more popular models, the Lexus IS250 didn't get LEDs till 09, and that style was out starting 06...

paddlenbike
03-07-2012, 02:00 PM
I predict Toyota will add an additional 7 inches of width to the side marker lights.
http://tomsremote.com/mystuff/pics/highlander/ext2.jpg

Obi..
03-13-2012, 08:28 PM
:ban: I gotta be the only one questioning why the Highlander if expanded in size in just the right places would looks tons better than the Derp-Eyed-MaxHedroom 5th gens?
http://www.starzmoviez.com/images/cache/screen_image_377590.jpg

:rofl:

I've hear similarly on the tuned 3.5 but agree w/ Avy, let me replace idler bearings on a 4.0 all day versus the cramped misaligned 3.5. As for the trans, how about a manual 6-speed that's actually workable? Just a thought.

Obi..
03-13-2012, 08:35 PM
*Off to put a Highlander body over the 5th-gen Chassis. :D

YotaFun
03-14-2012, 07:04 PM
The Highlander is growing in size to compete with the ford explorer, though it doesn't have a t-case set up like the explorer its practicalities come in play other places.

I still don't know what Toyota is doing, there stuck between killing off the FJ or offering different packages to keep it alive, just this past Monday we had one on the lot all Bright Red, roof and body, with the TRD wheels and BFG ATs, it was a sick FJ and sold quick, never seen one all red, White, Black, and Green Yes, but not all red

Obi..
03-15-2012, 07:18 PM
I got tired of the scale tool failing me for the second layer, here's the basic idea, someone should try to do it better so I can see it in finished form. :D

Obi..
03-18-2012, 07:45 PM
..it was a sick FJ and sold quick, never seen one all red, White, Black, and Green Yes, but not all red

FYI: http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj-cruiser/292076-lets-see-some-pics-your-fj-cruisers-14.html#post7461750
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8239321/FJ/red/snowday/water1.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8239321/FJ/red/snowday/profile.JPG

YotaFun
03-19-2012, 05:39 AM
Its not an option on Toyota's website when I go to build it...

DHC6twinotter
03-19-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure what the Toyota website in the Northeast is like, but the Southeast Toyota website is absolutely horrible. It won't let you build a vehicle unless the vehicle you build is available at a dealer near you. The Lexus website is just as bad....it wouldn't even let me build a IS250 with a 6spd.

I don't know if that's the case where you're at, Avy. That red FJ is nice, but I think I still prefer the all green FJ. The front end is still too ugly for me to buy one though. I do like the black TRD rims, and I think they are probably the nicest truck rims Toyota has out right now.

Obi..
03-19-2012, 09:11 PM
It (Full Red FJC-TT) goes public in (IIRC) Mid-Late April. Backlogged b/c of the Tsunami and why some of the 2011 full green one's arrived stateside without the full TT Edition trim. People are calling them "NSSE", "Not So Special Editions".

One of our local guys Mike got one: http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj-cruiser/538636-say-hellow-my-new-fjc-nessie.html

Some more info on the "Lego-FJC". :D
Write-up from (That other Shane) Williams @ FJC-Magazine: http://www.fjc-mag.com/latest-news/2012-tt-in-the-wild

Pics (21-45): http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w56/tejuntejun/TRDParts4u%20pics/?action=view&current=DSC00201.jpg

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/08/2012-toyota-fj-cruiser-trail-teams-special-edition-unveiled-exclusive.html

http://www.warn.com/blog/2012/01/31/toyota_offers_a_red_fj_cruiser.shtml

Sorry to continue the thread detour but I figured since I have the info I'd share it. *Oddly enough having as much time as I did in those it's funny I am the one person who really still doesn't necessarily want one. 4Runner FTW!

DHC6twinotter
04-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Toyota just released a press statement about the 2014 4Runner. It is set to be revealed on April 27th at the 2013 Stagecoach Music Festival in Indio, CA. Here are a few teaser shots:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/DH6twinotter/2014_4Runner_teaser_001.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/DH6twinotter/2014_4Runner_teaser_002.jpg

I think we all new projectors and LED taillights were coming. It looks like the turn signals may have been relocated to the headlights as well.

I like the headlights, and it doesn't look like they stick out as far as the previous lights. Unfortunately, the taillights still stick out and look a bit ricey as well. The vertical vents below the headlights looks dumb, but I'll have to reserve my final judgement until the release of better pictures.

I'm interested to see what other changes are in place, especially with the drivetrain.

Full press release here:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/stagecoach+music+festival+2014+toyota+4runner+reve al.htm

Good Times
04-18-2013, 01:24 PM
cool find! I really did the new 4runners. I love the rigid lines it has. If only I had a pot of gold to buy another one. :)

YotaFun
04-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Dan, That Date According to Toyota is actually the 27th not the 29th, just wanted to give everyone a heads up (been following on twitter -_-)

I am torn on the headlight style, Toyota is starting to make all there head lights look someone similar like all other car companies, at first I thought I was looking at a Toyota Camry when I saw the picture before the text.

The LED tails was a given, its usually inevitable for all the models.

That vertical vent is also becoming another Toyota trade mark design on all the models -_-

A little diversity would be nice, but oh well, just have to wait and see.
As long as there is still a live rear axle in the back with a locker and trail edition, in my book that would be good.

Crinale
04-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Those headlights make the 4runner look like a Mitsubishi Evo... I don't like it, not for any kind of off-road vehicle.

DHC6twinotter
04-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Avy, thanks for the correction. I dunno what I was thinking when I typed 29...the press release I read even said 27. Thanks! I'll edit the post to reflect the date change.

Lance, the 5th gens are growing on me. I'm still not a fan of the SR5 or Limited models, but I like the black plastic on the TE. It hides some of the funky lines. I don't think I'll ever like the rear design, but a nice tire carrier should hide that nicely. The TE rims have gown on me too, and they look really good powder coated.

Good Times
04-18-2013, 06:10 PM
I think Toyota is just going with more a sporty and aggressive styling on the 4runner to differentiate from the Land Cruiser and the FJ Cruiser. Since Toyota is already using FJC as their "offroad" vehicle the 4runner really gets lost in the mix. The problem is that Toyota has too many SUV's! - Land Cruiser, Sequoia, 4runner, FJ Cruiser, Highlander and Rav4. I mean holy cow that's a lot of SUV's there. I know each has its own purpose but with that many suv's to select from I think it really takes away from the uniqueness each of the vehicles hold. Toyota has grown as a company so they have introduced newer models to compete against other manufacturers but I'm not sure if it really makes sense to keep and hold that many options. Though I do wish they brought the 70 series here (haha). I'd be all over that in a heartbeat (sorry 4runner... lol)

Since I have both the 03 4runner and the 00 Land Cruiser I've been able to really road test both and I have to say I'm torn. The only benefit the 03 4runner has is the 5 speed auto (my 00 Land Cruiser has the old 4 speed auto but the 03+ Land Cruiser has the 5 speed auto). Both feature the same stout v8 engine so performance wise they both rock! Both has the VSC/ATRAC (garbage) and both works well (debatable by some) so the playing field between the two models are hard to differentiate. I think the LC is slightly larger (though it's really hard to say by how much) but I'd say for the most part it's close enough that I wouldn't think it's night and day difference between the two. I know the numbers say otherwise but so far it hasn't been earth shattering differences for me.

Driving the 100 series a lot and definitely not the 4runner (only cuz it's out of commission) I must say I definitely love how it drives. Just amazing quality vehicle (not saying the 4runner isn't by any respect).

If I had to do everything all over again, I don't think I would have bought the 03 4runner. I probably would have just gone with the more expensive (almost double the price of a 4runner) Land Cruiser. Really hard to explain why I would do this but I just like driving the Land Cruiser much more than the 4runner (only comparing stock vs stock). The rear tailgate is big plus (wished it was like the 2nd gen with the roll down window though) and the flat skid it has really helps the Land Cruiser. Although I'll forever keep my 4runner and continue to bastardize it I really don't see myself getting another 4runner. The 5th gens look awesome (I just like the aggressive look and feel) but I just can't see myself buying another 4runner anymore :(

I think at this point I'm going to try and get me a 70 series imported one of these days. :)

Sorry off topic... haha

DHC6twinotter
04-18-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm with you, Lance. I'd take a 70 series troopy over anything Toyota offers in the U.S. I do like the 100 series though, and I would seriously consider buying one.

This is kinda off-topic, but here's what I think Toyota should do:

-Keep the Land Cruiser, but drop the price.
-Ditch the Sequoia. The new Highlander is already larger than the previous Highlander and fits the cross-over trend that manufactures are going towards.
-Keep the Highlander. The new larger model is a good step I think, and should offer better competition to the Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave, Dodge Durango, and Ford Explore. The larger Highlander would pretty much replace the Sequoia.
-Create a new FJ Cruiser with removable top and with 2 door and 4 door options. Basically a Toyota version of the Jeep Wrangler.
-Ditch the 4Runner. Sorry. Maybe they could just sell a rebadged Prado and call it a 4Runner. Or offer the Toyota Fortuner here in the states.
-Keep the Rav4
-Bring the 70 series Land Cruiser here, at least just the troop carrier and pickup version (whatever that's called). Main target would be contractors.
-Offer diesel engines in all variants.

I dunno. Anyways, I'm curious to see what the revised 5th gen has to offer.

paddlenbike
04-19-2013, 07:52 AM
The 5th gen really isn't getting the love from road test editors nor from the people that bought them. I love my 3rd gen and have no desire for anything else, but the 98-07 Land Cruiser is one vehicle I would like to plastic-wrap and put in storage somewhere for later in life.

YotaFun
04-24-2013, 05:24 PM
I am going to rant a little bit here...

Unfortunately majority of American are fat and lazy and want comfort and convenience and tons of options, cause lets face it, who wants to be copying off there neighbor (piss poor example but hopefully you get the Idea).
Hence why there line is going in the direction its going, we are lucky enough to even have a Trail Edition of the 4Runner.

Lance I agree with you completely, Toyota has way to many options however Toyota was fine when the had just the Rav4, 4Runner, Sequoia, Land Cruiser.
But then they had to start filling gaps that the other companies were doing and ended up with the mess they have now.

I am surprised Toyota still even has the current Land Cruiser with a Toyota badge and hasn't ditched it completely and left it to the Lexus line, at the price tag it has, they don't sell much at all, plus all the luxury features, it more a home then a truck.
-They don't even offer it with a rear locker anymore, I believe Lance's gen is the last Gen in the US to offer one with the rear locker -Now its all computers, downhill assist, crawl setting, a-trac, adjustable ride height, etc, when I scan a LC for codes, I am reading minimum 25 different computers
-Larger Rims less tires

What I see the future of the American Land Cruiser
-All Time 4WD with center diff lock, NO low range.
-No lockers or additional off-road 'functions', but possibly different drive modes like a Range Rover has...
-Bigger Rims less tires

Toyota should have gone back to the original Rav4, 4Runner, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser.

My thoughts on the whole line.
-Keep the Land Cruiser, but offer a base model with a manual t-case, locker, cloth seats
-Ditch the Venza, they already have the Highlander and Rav4 for the cross over category.
-Replace the Venza with the station wagon version of the Camry offered elsewhere and offer and AWD option.
-You have to keep the Sequoia to compete with such vehicles as the Tahoe/Suburban, Expedition, Escalade, Etc in that Category. The Sequoia has always been the soccer mom vehicle, for the families that want more room.
-Dan I agree with you Create a new FJ Cruiser with removable top and with 2 door and 4 door options. Basically a Toyota version of the Jeep Wrangler. But if its going to compete add a solid front axle, if not they should drop the line like they originally planned too in 2010.
-Keep the 4Runner, but downsize it a bit, It looks good, it drives great (the limited edition reminds me of the Sequoia and the LC...)
-Diesel option for all would be great, a lot of companies are going diesel now, Toyota just needs to take there existing engines and engineer them for our emissions standards, most likely wont happen for a while do to the fact they R&D the Hybrid Drives more.

Dan, I can't see them bringing the Pick up version of the 70 over, they already have the Tacoma and the Tundra, and I could also see Toyota turning the regular 70 series into there version of the G Wagon Mercedes has, and then again we will have an over priced Land Cruiser.

And Dan we already have the Prado = Lexus Gx and Fortuner = 4Runner over here, according to the research I have done. The only advantage of the Prado is to get a 2 door version, but since thats still under the Lexus badge that just isn't going to happen or again be WAY overpriced.

Stick to the original Rav4, 4Runner, Sequoia, and LC, just make slight refinements to get them out of the mixed categories with everyone else.

I can't wait to see the redesign, and I would still buy another 4Runner, but I am one person out of the whole US market...

Sorry for the rant -_-

Seanz0rz
04-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Tl;dr.

Seriously though, the current land cruiser needs to go Lexus only (200 series), they need to bring the GX (prado in other markets) down to Toyota as an LC. Give it locking diffs, etc. Everything a traditionalist expects a Land Cruiser to be.

Kill the Sequoia. It's awful.

Keep the Highlander. It is doing a great job at whatever it does. Maybe add a LWB variant? The Rav4 is a great vehicle too, so keep that.

2 options exist at this point:
Take the 4Runner and put it on a copier at 85%. It needs to be less wide, with taller windows. Make it compete with the Jeep Grand Cherokee in the offroad dept. with lots of toys, but also available as a more basic model. Kill the FJ Cruiser.

OR keep the current 4Runner, fix some of it's shortcomings. Move the FJC to compete with the Wrangler with removable top/doors and aim it at the hardcore offroaders. SFA isnt necessary, most people have realized that a good IFS setup will go 90% of the places. Maybe do a factory long or midtravel setup to set it apart from the wrangler.

That's alot of what you said. The diesel options will never happen. Here, diesel is more expensive than regular, so that isn't a great option anyway. A diesel in the Tundra is a must! if Toyota doesn't do that, they will never gain traction in the pickup market.

The 70 will never come. It is already an ancient vehicle. We dream of them but I'm sure if we saw one and drove it, we'd be pining for all of the creature comforts we are used to now.

edit, I forget Toyota calls the Venza a crossover. what a joke! Kill that with fire and offer a Camry wagon! kill the Matrix as well and offer a proper Corolla wagon too!

DHC6twinotter
04-24-2013, 07:13 PM
All good points.

I forgot about the Venza. I didn't realize it was classified as a crossover. I always thought of them as sort of a Camry wagon.

I would love to see a cheaper Land Cruiser, and it would make a good replacement for the Sequoia. It would work well for anybody wanting a large body-on-frame SUV for towing duties, but I think the new, larger Highlander will suffice for most soccer-mom duties.

The only reason I thought about re-badged Prado was to save costs. I'd rather see a re-badged Prado than the 4Runner line completely dropped. And, if Toyota were to offer a 4 door FJ-Cruiser with removable top, I think many of us would opt to drive one of those over a new 4Runner. However, a re-badged Prado would be a cheap way for Toyota to offer a capable vehicle for those of us who may want a more plush ride than a 4 door FJ-Cruiser. It may compete fairly well with the Grand Cherokee.

I agree, the 70 series is a stretch. I can dream though. The only way I see it being a possibility is if Toyota brings it over after a complete redesign. I don't think the current 70 series would fare very well with our safety standards.

The Camry has become pretty bloated car over the years. I'd like to see Toyota bring the Avensis and Avensis Wagon to the U.S. I'm not really a fan of any of the cars in Toyota's lineup. The Corolla is too small, and the Camry is too big. The Avensis is just right, with the size falling between Corolla and Camry. And it would compete well with the Nissan Altima. It's a good looking car too.

Anyways, just my $.02.

YotaFun
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Oh god no... Bling Rims.....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIzViQ7CQAA5OkY.jpg:large (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIzViQ7CQAA5OkY.jpg:large)

Good Times
04-27-2013, 06:31 PM
eat your heart out guys...

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/2014+4runner+design+match+off-road+heritage.htm

TORRANCE, Calif., April 27, 2013 - - For nearly three decades, the Toyota 4Runner mid-size SUV has been a stalwart for off-roading enthusiasts seeking a SUV with rugged, go-anywhere capability. Currently in its fifth-generation, 4Runner continues as one of the few fully capable mid-size SUVs, and the redesigned 2014 4Runner receives a rugged new exterior design, and interior refinements that add comfort and convenience without sacrificing its hallmark performance capability and excellent value.

The 4Runner combines rugged body-on-frame construction with comprehensive suspension technology that yields optimal off-road capability with a smooth ride and comfort more often associated with crossovers. The 2014 4Runner is available in three grades: a well-equipped, value-driven SR5; top-of-the-line Limited, and a Trail grade for those who want maximum off-road capability. Optional third-row seats on SR5 and Limited allow for up to seven-person capacity.

4Runner owners will have the choice of a rear wheel 4x2, part-time 4x4 or a full-time multi-mode 4x4 with a locking center differential. All models are equipped with a powerful 4.0-liter, 270-horsepower V6 teamed to a five-speed ECT-i automatic transmission and one of the few vehicles that continues offer a transfer case.

4Runner’s Rugged Exterior Design Projects Its Off-Road Heritage With a Premium Refinement
The refreshed 4Runner features a redesigned front fascia that conveys a more rugged and aggressive appearance. This includes a muscular front grille, and edgier smoked headlamps for a more forceful look. The SR5 and Trail grades feature a color-keyed grille insert and front bumper that is surrounded by fog lamps set in sharply cut inlays that extend from the headlamps down to the bumper.

The Trail grade features new color-keyed bumpers and overfenders, and it continues to be distinguished by an aggressive hood scoop and silver painted front and rear bumper accents. All grades are now standard with a roof rack.

In addition to the distinctive new grille, the premium Limited’s front design stands apart with a chrome-plated grille insert and chrome front bumper that extends to the fog-lamp bezels. The side molding, roof rack and rear bumper are also chrome trimmed. The headlamps have also changed from halogen to projector beam, with both the headlamps and redesigned rear combination lamps on all 4Runner grades now featuring LED lamps.

Both the SR5 and Trail grades will ride on 17-inch alloy wheels with a new wheel-design for both, while the Limited continues to ride on 20-inch alloy wheels, which are now painted black prior to machining to add contrast. All grades continue to come standard with a full-size spare.

The 2014 4Runner will be available in eight exterior colors that include new additions: Super White; Attitude Black Metallic; Barcelona Red Metallic; and Nautical Blue Metallic. They will join carryover colors that include: Blizzard Pearl; Classic Silver Metallic; Magnetic Gray Metallic; and Black.

The 4Runner exterior updates are complemented by touches of refinement on the inside. Both the SR5 and Trail grade add standard Soft Touch door trim, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel and leather shift knob provide a premium feel and atmosphere.

The SR5 receives a new bright and highly visible Optitron instrument panel that houses speedometer, tachometer, voltage, fuel and coolant temperature gauges, plus a multi-information display that offers multiple functions. An Eco-Driving feedback system allows the driver to monitor fuel consumption in real time. On 4Runner Trail, an overhead console within easy reach organizes the off-road control switches into one location. A compass indicator and outside temperature display add functionality. A manually controlled air conditioning system is standard on SR5 and Trail grades; the Limited features an automatic dual-zone climate-control system.

For second-row passengers, a sculpted front seat-back shape provides additional knee space. The second-row seats, which include a center armrest, individually recline up to 16 degrees in four steps for relaxing passenger comfort. The 40/20/40 second-row seat configuration also has a one-touch walk-in function, making access to the third row easier. Third-row seating is available on SR5 and Limited grades and features a roomy, supportive seating area.

The SR5 and Trail grade come standard with comfortable fabric-trimmed seating available in Sand Beige, Graphite or Black. Available SofTex seats offer a soft, rich feel. New for 2014, the SR5 adds a standard eight-way power driver seat.

The Limited comes standard with a leather-trimmed interior with new ventilated driver and front passenger seats in Sand Beige, Black and a new Redwood color. Front seats are also heated with eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support and four-way power-adjustable passenger seat. Both front seats are now standard with memory settings.

Powerful 4.0-liter V6 Helps Take 4Runner Anyplace, Anytime
The 4Runner 4.0-liter V6 generates 270 horsepower and 278 lb.-ft. of torque. Dual independent Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) optimizes torque across the engine’s operating range. Fuel economy ratings rival some crossover SUVs with an EPA-estimated 17 mpg city and 23 mpg highway for 4x2 models, and 17 mpg city and 22 mpg highway for 4x4. Maximum towing capacity is 5,000 pounds and all vehicles feature an integrated tow-hitch receiver and wiring harness as standard equipment.

4Runner Balances Full Off-Road Capability with Smooth Around-town Handling
A double-wishbone independent front suspension, combined with a variable-flow rack-and-pinion steering, help give the 4Runner precise control on demanding roads. Coil springs over gas shocks are used at all four wheels for a comfortable ride and controlled handling. The four-link rear suspension maximizes off-road axle articulation, whileproviding a smooth ride for rear-seat passengers on and off pavement.

The Limited grade comes standard with an X-REAS suspension system that further improves performance, comfort and control. With X-REAS, 4Runner corners flatter, smoother, and handles choppy pavement more easily. X-REAS automatically adjusts the damping force of shocks when driving over bumpy surfaces or when cornering. The system uses a center control absorber to cross-link shocks on opposite corners of the vehicle, substantially reducing pitch and yaw by offsetting opposing inputs.

The 4Runner SR5 and Trail 4x4 models have a two-speed, part-time four-wheel-drive system with neutral position, maximizing fuel efficiency when a 4x4 configuration isn’t needed. The 4Runner Limited is equipped with a full-time, four-wheel-drive system with a locking center differential and a three-mode, center console-mounted switch.

The A-TRAC traction control system is standard equipment on all 4x4 models. The system can distribute driving force to any one wheel in contact with the ground, making terrain irregularities and slippery patches virtually transparent to the driver. An electronic-locking rear differential is standard on the Trail grade.

The Trail grade is designed to maximize off-road performance with superior approach and departure angles, high ground clearance, and an array of functional upgrades for the most demanding active outdoor enthusiast. The Trail grade offers an optional Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS). KDSS significantly improves terrain-following ability by dynamically disconnecting stabilizer bars to allow for more axle travel, and better suspension articulation in slow, difficult terrain.

Toyota’s Crawl Control (CRAWL) feature is standard on the Trail grade. The system helps maintain an appropriate speed to keep the vehicle under control and minimizes the load on drivetrain and suspension components.

With the transfer case shifted into low range, CRAWL regulates engine speed and output (along with braking force), to propel the vehicle forward or in reverse at one of the five driver-selectable low-speed settings. This allows the driver to maintain focus on steering over rough level ground or steep grades without having to also modulate the throttle or brake pedal.

The Trail grade also features a Multi-Terrain Select system that dials in wheel-slip control to match the terrain. In loose terrain such as mud and sand, more-than-normal wheel slip is permitted, allowing wheel-spin to work in the vehicle’s favor. On bumpy moguls, or solid rock, wheel slip is minimized and the system acts more like a limited slip differential. The Mogul setting is for any extremely uneven terrain, such as V-ditches, slopes, and ridges, uphill or down.

All models come standard with Hill-start Assist Control (HAC), which provides additional control for off-road driving by helping to hold the vehicle stationary before starting on a steep incline or slippery surface. All 4Runner 4x4 models feature standard Downhill Assist Control (DAC). This feature augments the low-speed ascending ability of low-range by helping to hold the vehicle, allowing time for the driver to a target speed with no driver intervention.

Versatility and Convenience Provide Comfort and Utility
An array of convenience features and versatile seating configurations provide the 2014 4Runner with ample passenger comfort and utility. Fold-flat second-row seats provide a level load floor in the 4Runner, and it is not necessary to remove the headrests to fold the seats flat. The available third-row seat is split 50/50 and folds flat. The seats can be folded from the side or at the rear, using separate one-touch levers. With this arrangement, more cargo space is available without removing seats, and longer items can be conveniently carried.

A Smart Key system featuring keyless entry with push-button start is standard on the Limited grade. The system allows the driver to unlock or start the vehicle by carrying the keyless remote. The cargo door window has jam control, like the moonroof and power side windows.

An available pull-out cargo deck is capable of carrying up to 440 pounds to make loading and unloading heavy items easier and to provide seating for tailgating and campsite relaxation.

All 4Runner models come standard with a 120V outlet and two additional 12V outlets.

A front and rear clearance sonar system is standard on Limited models, and a rear-view backup camera is now standard on all 4Runner models. The system displays in the audio screen, increasing visibility at the rear of the vehicle.

New Audio Systems Include Standard Entune™ Multimedia System
New for 2014 on SR5 and Trail grade 4Runner models is Entune™ Audio Plus, which includes Toyota’s Entune multimedia system, an AM/FM/MP3 CD player with eight speakers, integrated SiriusXM™ Satellite Radio (includes 90-day trial subscription), USB port with iPod connectivity, and Bluetooth® hands-free phone capability and music streaming.

Standard on the Limited grade is the new Entune Premium JBL Audio system, which incorporates today’s most in-demand connectivity features. It includes the Entune multimedia system, a JBL® premium sound system with navigation, SiriusXM Satellite Radio (with a 90-day trial subscription), HD Radio with iTunes® tagging and 15 speakers. The navigation system includes a large seven-inch monitor.

Entune is a collection of popular mobile applications and data services, with three years of complimentary access. Once a smart phone is connected to the vehicle using Bluetooth wireless technology or a USB cable, Entune’s features are operated using the vehicle’s controls or, for some services, by voice recognition. Entune offers mobile apps for Bing™, iHeartRadio, MovieTickets.com, OpenTable®, and Pandora®. Entune data services include a fuel price guide, sports scores, stocks, traffic and weather.

Standard on all audio systems is a unique “party mode” audio setting that is ideal for tailgating, raises bass response and shifts sound balance to the rear of the vehicle. Party mode is in addition bolstered by rear liftgate-mounted speakers, which function with or without party mode selected. The pole antenna has been dropped in favor of a new in-glass antenna.

Toyota’s Exclusive Star Safety System, Eight Standard Airbags, Safety Connect
The 4Runner features Toyota’s standard Star Safety System™ that includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with traction control (TRAC), an Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), and Smart Stop Technology (SST) brake-override system. VSC helps the driver to ensure control by compensating for front and rear wheel slip. The system uses selective braking and modulated engine output to help keep the vehicle in line with the driver’s steering inputs. On 4x2 vehicles, the Auto LSD (Limited Slip Differential) system allows for better traction on slippery sections of roadway. The four-wheel ABS with EBD provides the 4Runner with optimal brake proportioning, regardless of vehicle load.

Eight standard airbags includes front, side-mounted and knee airbags for the driver and front passenger, and side-curtain airbags for the second and third rows. All 2014 4Runners have active headrests for driver and passenger, and three-point seat belts for all seats.

The 2014 4Runner Limited offers the Safety Connect™ telematics system. Available by subscription, with or without the optional navigation system, Safety Connect offers four safety and security features: Automatic Collision Notification, Stolen Vehicle Location, Emergency Assistance Button (SOS), and Roadside Assistance. When Safety Connect is ordered, it includes a one-year trial subscription.

In case of either airbag deployment or severe rear-end collision, an Automatic Collision Notification system is designed to automatically call a dedicated response center. If a response agent cannot communicate with the occupants, the agent can contact the nearest emergency-services provider to dispatch assistance.

Pushing the in-vehicle “SOS” button allows drivers to reach the response center to request help in an emergency as well as for a wide range of roadside assistance needs. If a 4Runner equipped with Safety Connect is stolen, agents can work with local authorities to help locate and recover the vehicle.

4Runner Includes Toyota Care Complimentary Maintenance
Toyota’s 36-month/36,000 mile basic new-vehicle warranty applies to all components other than normal wear and maintenance items. Additional 60-month warranties cover powertrain for 60,000 miles and corrosion with no mileage limitation. The 4Runner will also come standard with Toyota Careä, a complimentary plan covering normal factory-scheduled maintenance and 24-hour roadside assistance for two years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Media Contacts:

Toyota Division Communications
Greg Thome (310) 561-2875 or greg_thome@toyota.com
Sam Butto (310) 468-7728 or sam_butto@toyota.com

Media Web site: http://www.toyotanewsroom.com
Public Web site: http://www.toyota.com

NOTE TO EDITORS: Images and video of the 2014 4Runner are available for editorial use only at: http://www.toyotanewsroom.com and the Toyota Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/toyota

Tags:
stagecoach country music festival (http://pressroom.toyota.com/search_results.cfm?newsearch=1&stype=1,2,3,7,4,5,6&tag_id=1883) 2014 toyota 4runner (http://pressroom.toyota.com/search_results.cfm?newsearch=1&stype=1,2,3,7,4,5,6&tag_id=1896)

DHC6twinotter
04-27-2013, 08:11 PM
What a let down. Terrible, terrible design. Toyota needs to find somebody else to design the 4Runner.

I'm really surprised Toyota didn't throw in the A760 6spd auto.

I do like those wheels and the lights. The availability of beige interior on the Trail model is nice, and the gauge cluster looks pretty good. Otherwise, it's horrible. I don't think I'll ever buy one.

Well, hopefully the 6th gen is better.

Seanz0rz
04-27-2013, 08:41 PM
A face even a mother couldn't love...

I'm with Dan, wheels look great, headlights are a huge improvement and the tail lights are OK. They still stick out, which is unfortunate.

bleh...

Good Times
04-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Did you notice the 4wd manual selector in one of the photos?

http://www.toyotanewsroom.com/images/2014_Toyota_4Runner_034_50469_39905_low.jpg

I didn't know they had that for the 5th gen... Unless it's just for the 2014?

Either way I'm not really digging the changes....

DHC6twinotter
04-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Yeah, the manual selector has been on the Trail Edition. The Limited had a rotary knob. I'm not sure about the SR5, but I'm assuming it had the manual selector as well.

At least Toyota got that right. And, thankfully, we still have a solid rear axle. No IRS yet.

A nice front bumper will fix most of my complaints with this design.

Bob98SR5
04-27-2013, 10:02 PM
A nice front bumper will fix most of my complaints with this design.

The entire front end is what needs to be redesigned. It's terrible. It looks like a rhinocerous. What's w/ those headlights slanted downwards to make the front end look "angry" and the slits below them? My god, this looks like a Disney cartoon car.

Seanz0rz
04-27-2013, 10:16 PM
it looks like it already ran into a wall... I wish someone WOULD run it into a wall...

paddlenbike
04-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Is today April fools day? Are you serious??? What a joke, that is the worst front end I have ever seen.
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Toyota-4Runner_2014_800x600_wallpaper_05.jpg

The front bumper is such a substantial part of the front end that designing a half way decent looking bumper is going to be extremely difficult. Now the headlights are even slimmer and the bumper will raise even higher than this:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/545807_10151792006545381_896910052_n.jpg

YotaFun
04-28-2013, 05:05 PM
If anyone didn't catch it the manual J-shift is gone in the trail, its like the land cruiser now, all time 4wd with the ability to lock the center diff and put in low range....

If I ever buy a 5th gen it will be before they redesigned it to the bull dog looking front -_-

If the 6th gen doesn't save it Toyota is doomed

paddlenbike
04-28-2013, 06:10 PM
...it's getting easier and easier to justify putting more money into my current 4Runner.

YotaFun
04-28-2013, 06:14 PM
...it's getting easier and easier to justify putting more money into my current 4Runner.

Agree'd, I am starting to look into buying my step-fathers 4Runner from him, fixing the few things in need and put it in storage, it may have over 256k on it but it still looks and drives like brand new.

fenrisx
05-13-2013, 06:55 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/20130429/CARNEWS/130429807/V2/0/2014-Toyota-4Runner.jpg

I seem to be the minority here.. but I liked the original 5th-gen TE... and I actually don't mind the new front. At first I was I thought it was hideous, but it grew on me rather quickly. I agree designing a front bumper won't be easy.. IMO after market bumpers have generally been hideous since the 4th gen.. due to them having to be so tall.

fenrisx
05-26-2013, 07:58 PM
http://www.toyota.com/content/future-vehicles/4runner/full/4runner-2.jpg

fenrisx
05-26-2013, 08:04 PM
http://oi42.tinypic.com/4t1w88.jpg
http://oi40.tinypic.com/33awk7q.jpg

ster of t4r did some photochopping

Good Times
05-26-2013, 08:31 PM
nice satoshi mod! :)

now add a bumper and all of the other goodies!

YotaFun
05-27-2013, 03:26 PM
The new front end has grown on me too, I think its due to the less bulging headlamps.
Dan, it might not be as hard to do a front bumper, I think a lot of companies are still doing a straight across bumper but selling fill in pieces that still fit under the headlamp, at least the last heavily modified 5th Gen I saw in person looked like it had that.

But anyone pic up on this yet, Toyota and Subaru are still sharing some ideas for their vehicles...
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Subaru-Forester_US-Version_2014_photo_01.jpg

That front end looks somewhat familiar....

paddlenbike
07-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Out on the highway this weekend I looked in my rearview mirror and saw an ugly, gaping-mouth approaching and I couldn't figure out if it was someone's horrendous body kit or a new 4Runner. Turns out it was the new Forester.

http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/2012/11/2014-Subaru-Forester-prototype-front-view-02-1024x634.jpg

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/xcSvFnhNwLJ.QM4NcWfv1Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://mit.zenfs.com/852/2013/04/toyota4runnertop.jpg

I haven't seen vehicles this hideous since the Pontiac Aztek.

YotaFun
07-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Ken,
I saw a new impreza wagon this weekend and thought I was looking at a matrix/yaris hatch.

Toyota and Subaru are still in bed together making ugly children apprently (must be cousins....) <--- too much?

Seanz0rz
07-15-2013, 04:13 PM
I figured out that the 4runner has dimples, but not the cute kind...

fenrisx
07-15-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm still liking the 4Runner refresh. :) Definitely some shared styling cues with that..no doubt about it.

Speaking of Subi's.. my next car might be a WRX wagon once they get the new 2.0l boxer from the BRZ. If the wagon or sedan come out looking as sweet as the concept, I'll take either! (Current gen, my preference lies with the wagon.)

http://bycarinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2014-Subaru-WRX-Concept-at-2013-New-York-Auto-SHow-12-.jpg

The new gen will be it's own platform, not borrowed from the Impreza platform.

YotaFun
07-15-2013, 06:02 PM
The new wrx concept reminds me of the new Mazda 6

Good Times
07-15-2013, 06:34 PM
The front bumper on the 5th gen is definitely ginormous. Though replace the tupperware and add some proper armor and it would be a nice truck. As a 4th gen owner I kinda wished I had the 5th gen's body lines with the 4th gen powertrain. The 4th gens reminds me of a bubbly suv while the 5th gen's sharp lines makes it look super aggressive.

Now the bumpers on the 5th gens are much to be desired but once you remove those big tupperware off I think the 5th gens look pretty sexy.

now if Toyota would bring back the fold down tailgate with power window they had on the 2nd gen then I'll be sold!

DHC6twinotter
07-17-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm with you, Lance. I like the body lines for the most part, although I don't like the back end. There are too many random body lines and it doesn't look very cohesive. That can all be covered up by nice fuel can and tire carrier. The massive bumpers are the worse thing about the 5th gen, which can also be replaced by bumpers. It's going to be hard to come up with a 5th gen front bumper that looks good though, especially with it needing to be mounted so high.

I miss the black trim on the early 5th gen TE.

I'm curious to see what bumper designs people come up with.

Hopefully Toyota will do a 6th gen 4runner that looks better.

YotaFun
07-22-2013, 05:39 PM
OH GOD MY EYES!!!
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz219/Yota-Boy/971549_10151496566942105_1657759118_n_zps451a269d. jpg (http://s829.photobucket.com/user/Yota-Boy/media/971549_10151496566942105_1657759118_n_zps451a269d. jpg.html)

That is the 2014 Limited Edition, Toyota Failure to the extreme!

Seanz0rz
07-22-2013, 05:42 PM
*searches for eye bleach*

DHC6twinotter
07-22-2013, 05:53 PM
It looks better than the TE, but still pretty awful. At least there aren't any of those dumb vertical gaps below the headlight. The chrome bar looks bad, but I think this bumper can be modified for an aftermarket bumper a bit easier. Cut the lower portion of the bumper off just above the chrome section, then build a bumper below it.

YotaFun
07-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Dan the bumper about the chrome is still like on the TE edition where it makes part of the, grill.
It still would be hard to make a bumper for it.

If I had to choose between a TE or Limited, the TE hands down, while there both fugly, the TE I feel is the lesser of the two evils

Good Times
07-22-2013, 06:31 PM
you make a horizontal line at the top of the chrome bar and build a bumper from there down. the sharp lines of the headlamps make it evil enough that you can definitely do a lot of nice front bumper designs with it.

i still would rock a 5th gen if funds permitted... though i do love the 200 series LC :) but right now I'm eyeing on a 70 series as my dream vehicle! haha

DHC6twinotter
07-22-2013, 06:31 PM
I think the part above the chrome part could be left. The plastic part below the headlights and around the grill would stay, similar to what Demello has done with the '10-'13 4Runner bumpers:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attachments/5th-gen-t4rs/32368d1283292726-demello-off-road-bumper-truck1.jpg

Something like that with the newer '14+ headlights wouldn't look too bad I think. This would be harder to do with the TE bumper because of the retarded vertical vents.

Thanks for the picture Avy! I'm curious to see what the SR5 would look like.

Lance, I would LOVE a 70 series, especially the newer ones.

YotaFun
07-22-2013, 06:38 PM
I see what your saying Dan.
I think it still would look Fugly though because the cutoff for the grill is at the chrome bar.
I will work the way the 10'-13' work but not look as good.

Good Times
07-22-2013, 06:38 PM
yup Dan, that's kinda how I imagined a bumper would be made. looks killer to me!

yeah 70's would be nice. or 90's...

edit....

It can totally be done if you cut right above the chrome stuff... I like the angle of the lights so I think that'll help w/ the design that Jason has.

Seanz0rz
07-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Lance, you do realize the 90 series is the land cruiser prado, which is substantially similar to the 3rd gen 4Runner? Only difference is the body, frame and drivetrain is identical.

you can import the 70 series from 84-88 now. (25 year rule). If it is a diesel (which it would be...) you wouldn't have to smog it in CA.

Good Times
07-22-2013, 06:48 PM
yup I know. If I were to get another SUV it would be something in the compact / sub-compact range so the 70 or 90 series would be nice. or a really pristine 1st gen 4runner but those are super rare now.

yeah there's a few places w/ 70 series 84-88 in diesel but it's a pretty penny. unless you've got a few pennies you can spare...

YotaFun
07-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Dan the bumper on the SR5 is the same as the one on the TE.
Here is a pic of all three together.

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz219/Yota-Boy/1003739_10151497831147105_191544450_n_zps1a83578e. jpg (http://s829.photobucket.com/user/Yota-Boy/media/1003739_10151497831147105_191544450_n_zps1a83578e. jpg.html)

Seanz0rz
07-23-2013, 04:19 PM
The dark one doesn't look so bad. maybe because you can't see its ugly face.

I'd consider it if I could find one cheap (you can't), but I think I rather have an 03+ UZJ100.

Good Times
07-23-2013, 06:12 PM
as bad as the front bumper looks I still think there's enough good lines to work off of to build a nice steel/alum bumper. like any vehicle the newer ones just have a lot of tupperware going on and it's only a few screws and a cutoff/saw-zall away from getting rid of that bulk. :)

DHC6twinotter
07-23-2013, 06:26 PM
I agree, Lance.

Early today, I looked up the dimensions between the 4th gen, 5th gen, and 100 series. I was surprised to see that the 5th gen was actually smaller than the 100 series, and it was only about 1/2 wider and longer than the 4th gen.

I may have to consider buying a used 5th gen in several years. I'd be curious to see how hard it would be to mount the newer 5th gen headlights on an older 5th gen. The fenders and hood look the same, and it looks like all that would be needed are the grill and bumper.

YotaFun
07-23-2013, 07:23 PM
If I had to stick to stock I'd Still choose the TE over that chrome monstrosity.

Dan the 5th gens are a dream to drive in my I wouldn't mind getting one, depending on what direction things go (Tundra or a diesel truck might be next)

Once we start getting the new models in I will take some measurements and see what would be involved.
Judging by the pictures I would say your about spot on with needing just the headlights, grill and bumper.

paddlenbike
07-24-2013, 08:35 AM
I know the quality of Jeep is abysmal, at best, but I find myself looking at the new Grand Cherokees and thinking "wow, that really looks nice." I wish Toyota would take a different direction when it comes to styling; I think the 5th gen looks awful.

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/south-africa-gets-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-alpine-edition-54013-7.jpg

4x4mike
07-24-2013, 08:40 AM
For every hit there is a miss.

http://carsfolia.com/data_images/news/jeep-showed-its-new-crossover-cherokee/jeep-showed-its-new-crossover-cherokee-10.jpg

Seanz0rz
07-24-2013, 08:43 AM
My uncle has a 2012 overlander. it is NICE. I think at this point, I might pick it over the 4Runner if I was buying new and only keeping for 5 years (which my uncle will do, he is already thinking about something different)

Expedition Portal posted this on their FB:
https://sphotos-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/995738_10151750034668748_659563566_n.jpg

Mike, you say that, but I think that will be one awesome vehicle too. give it a good front and rear bumper, and I think the ugliness will dissipate.

paddlenbike
07-24-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm not fond of the one Mike posted but I honestly think the Pontiac Aztek has a nicer looking face than the 5th gen. Maybe I'm just disappointed and was hoping Toyota would do better.

I want to replicate the JGC led drl's.
http://www.thetorquereport.com/assets_c/2012/08/2013_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_ST8_Vapor.jpg-thumb-530x342-21690.jpg

4x4mike
07-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Mike, you say that, but I think that will be one awesome vehicle too. give it a good front and rear bumper, and I think the ugliness will dissipate.

True, I was just going on immediate first impressions. To be honest with you I know nothing about the vehicle.

Lee
07-27-2013, 05:21 AM
How can u put a bumper on it? The headlights are the middle lights not the top ones...

It'll probably look even fuglier

Seanz0rz
07-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Lee, it is kind of hard to draw one up without seeing underneith, but it would basically follow the line of the top lights into the grill and dip down. the headlights would be slightly inset (~1 inch). the bottom would be at the bottom of that grill, and it would have an integrated grill there. I think it would look really cool.

I am not a huge fan of that vehicle, but I think it will be successful, and I think it will have some offroad ability, especially when properly spec'd.

Lee
07-28-2013, 06:20 AM
Time will tell ;)

paddlenbike
08-08-2013, 01:04 PM
They keep getting uglier and uglier.
http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/2013/02/2014-Toyota-Tundra-1794-Edition-front-three-quarters-2-1024x640.jpg

There's the 2014 Tundra.

I'll take a Ford F150 Atlas please.
http://cdn4.leftlanenews.com/photos/content/january2013/thumbnailsnew/cd-detroit-ford-atlas-02_1035.jpg

YotaFun
08-08-2013, 01:08 PM
I don't like the limited front of the new tundras, The SR5 and on are better, I really like how they finished off the bed though.
The atlas is nice though!

DHC6twinotter
08-08-2013, 01:42 PM
The new Tundra isn't too bad, and I like everything but the front end. The interior looks really good. I agree though, the Atlas is definitely better looking. Toyota's recent designs don't look very cohesive and look like they were designed by somebody that grew up watching too much anime.

And as far as Toyota SUVs are concerned, Autoblog did two recent stories regarding Toyota SUVs. The first article mentioned Toyota's commitment to body-on-frame SUVs. The second article mentioned that Lexus will be ditching the GX in favor of a 7 seat unibody SUV.

All this makes me wonder if the next 4Runner may just be a re-badged Prado. I wouldn't mind it, and it'll save Toyota some money.

fenrisx
08-08-2013, 08:03 PM
They keep getting uglier and uglier.

There's the 2014 Tundra.

I'll take a Ford F150 Atlas please.

I agree.. that Atlas is a nice looking, especially better than the Tundra. The Tundra would probably look better had they chose a different color and ditched the shiny tire and wheel combo.

Good Times
08-08-2013, 10:05 PM
gonna take more than ditching the tire/wheel and paint scheme. that front is horrendous!

YotaFun
08-09-2013, 06:02 AM
http://rockfordtoyotalexus.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/14-tundra2.jpg
There's the 2014 Tundra TRD edition

I am fine with this grill and fine with the more straight lines of it then the older Tundra.
I would take a newer one any day over the old just for the clean up of the lines imho.

paddlenbike
08-09-2013, 07:39 AM
That does look better, the combinations of chrome, matte gray and tall blingy chrome wheels with o-ring tires just looks terrible. The pic above is at least tolerable.

fenrisx
01-12-2015, 09:41 PM
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q604/konst1015/IMG_3076_zpsb0dd284c.jpg

*drool*

(Note mine. Owner post @ T4R - http://www.toyota-4runner.org/1731503-post2096.html)

Seanz0rz
01-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Man that looks great!

4x4mike
01-13-2015, 08:36 AM
I remember seeing the early stages of that bumper. Seems like it took a ton of time to complete. Lots of little pieces but it looks like guys are making an effort.