PDA

View Full Version : Great little welding and powder coating shop I found in Orange, CA (So Cal)

Bob98SR5
03-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Hello my pretties (esp. you Lance "Rock Hudson" Kuboyama),

I found a great little place in So Cal that does welding and powder coating, though this place's probably a powdercoat shop first. Name of the place is Americoat and is conveniently located by Honda Center off the Fiddy-7 freeway. The owner Richard is way fucking cool and his employees are too. Proof again that shit flows from the top.

I had my old '91 Brdigestone MB-2 powdercoated flaming fire engine red :gay: and had some welding work done on an exhaust manifold from my old ass Bimmer.

Here's my Yelp review. I posted pics in that Yelp review (http://www.yelp.com/biz/americoat-powder-coating-orange) too

4x4mike
03-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Cool beans Bob. It's always good to find a shop that does good work. The bike looks slick too. Did you decide on what you were doing for a BB? Going sealed? If the paint covers the outside face of the BB shell I'd cut it with a razor blade. If it's really thick it can effect the installation of the BB, make the spindle off center (because the shell isn't faced-no biggie in my book) or worse off, crack the paint. Same is true with the paint on the head tube. Headset cups are larger inner diameter than the head tube and if there is paint in there you can run into problems. Again cracked paint, cracked headset cups or misaligned cups which will make the headset near impossible to adjust. If there is paint in there just take it down with some sandpaper.

Good Times
03-26-2012, 05:39 PM
nice find. will need to bookmark this for when I need to get stuff pc'd. one day... :)

Bob98SR5
03-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Mike,

I'm going with the same style sealed square BB. And thanks for the advice on sanding down the edges. It'll be (hopefully not a year!) a month or so before I embark on putting it all together. Most likely I will fail miserably and then make a cheeseball excuse to have my friend David (Chang) fix all my mistakes for me :hillbill:

Bob98SR5
03-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Yah not terribly too far away from you, Lance. Good people skills at that shop, no messing around there.

4x4mike
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Mike,

I'm going with the same style sealed square BB. And thanks for the advice on sanding down the edges. It'll be (hopefully not a year!) a month or so before I embark on putting it all together. Most likely I will fail miserably and then make a cheeseball excuse to have my friend David (Chang) fix all my mistakes for me :hillbill:

David as in Cooldry (?). I think that was his user name. He was at Joshua Tree and Pismo? If so how is he doing? Haven't seen him online for years.

Good Times
03-27-2012, 04:08 PM
He's been busy with his career. I'll see him on Thursday afternoon so I'll let ya know how he's doing. :)

Bob98SR5
03-27-2012, 09:03 PM
mike, yup, cooldry. he's been in nursing school and just graduated. spending time now working and prepping for the certification test. i just saw him this past weekend.

lance are you running mudder with him?

4x4mike
03-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Cool to hear he's still around. Life is busy for all of us.

Good Times
03-28-2012, 09:22 AM
bob,

**** no! Are you kidding me? This old and fat chump can't do squat! I am however replacing my shifters on my old mtn bike. A few of the guys in the office just bought a bunch of new gear (i.e. Specialized epic carbon 29'ers) so I'm trying to get my junk up and running so I can join them on their lunch time ride around the office. Trying to keep up with them on the segway is not all that exciting. haha

One of the guys here in the office is doing the 100miler event next month though (not sure which one but it's suppose to be a tough one). crazy!