Thread: Oregon Deschutes-Ochoco Roads Closed, Unless Marked Open

Oregon Deschutes-Ochoco Roads Closed, Unless Marked Open

"Mostly the forest was open unless it was posted closed -- and now it's closed unless it's shown as open on the map" - makes perfect sense, right? There's a maximum $5k fine for driving on a road that is not physically posted anywhere except on one of 13 maps that you'd need to reference while on the move.

Anyone wanna get their petition on?

Here's one article outlining the issue: http://www.ktvz.com/news/30917133/detail.html
    Here's a Change.org petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/keep-our-forests-open

Quote Originally Posted by Change.org petition letter
    Greetings,

I just signed the following petition addressed to: United States Forest Service.

----------------
    Repeal the Travel Management Plan and keep our public lands open.

The US Forest Service has closed all roads in the Deschutes National Forest, Ochoco National Forest, and Crooked River National Grassland unles they are posted OPEN on one of 13 confusing government maps. Maximum fine for traveling on a closed road is $5000. Our public lands are being taken away from their owners by a government that is out of touch. Lets show them that we the people and not going to roll over and blindly accept these useless new closures. As a user of our public lands and lover of the outdoors I urge you to pull the plan and open the closed roads. This will have an economic impact on the Central Oregon region that will not be fully realized until it is too late. Why are we closing our forests? Why should it be so difficult to navigate out public lands with maps that do not jive with other paper maps or GPS maps? Why are the signages being abandoned and the blanket "it's closed unless marked open on the maps" being used. This is detrimental to America and our local economy. The environmental impact being touted as the reason for the closures has not been demonstrated and is a lie. We encourage you to re-address this issue. We the people ask for more from our government than protecting us from our public lands.
    ----------------

Sincerely,

[Your name]
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: Oregon Deschutes-Ochoco Roads Closed, Unless Marked Open

signed. that's a real shame...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks man!

I just see it as another ridiculous thing to worry about while exploring. I can maybe see closing certain areas if the reason is good, but to be able to levy a fine without having any signage on the ground . . .

Signed.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Great, now they wanna take a cue from California. I wonder if the fact I had residency there will allow and signing on my part to carry any weight?

Sign it regardless. I live in TN, and have never been there... But I still support land use rights, and I think (in my mind at least) that counts.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    Sign it regardless. I live in TN, and have never been there... But I still support land use rights, and I think (in my mind at least) that counts.
    exactly. thanks guys!