Thread: Universal Mic Holder

Universal Mic Holder

I couldn't find where I've posted this before but it's a universal mic holder I built to fit my 3rd gen with a 5 speed. I say 5 speed because I use 2 mounting screws from a bezel on the transmission tunnel and an auto might not have them in the same location.

The main reasoning for building this little thing is cleaning up the passenger compartment while traveling. Most everything I have is hard wired and most hard mounted or hidden (GPS, ipod, phone, cb, 2m radio) so there aren't any charging cords messing up the already small space around the driver and passenger. I have a Cobra 75 which is the CB with the guts in the mic. I like this because I don't have a cb taking up room somewhere and it's small and easy to use. The mic is also the speaker so it can't be stuffed in the seat or on the floor. With this mount you can have the display facing you and the cord tucked nicely below. My 2m radio has a very small and light mic as well as a much smaller lightweight cord. As such I have built a lighter duty mount for that mic.

Here is an unpainted heavy mount (for the CB).

Here is a poor picture of it painted. It's twice the thickness of the lightweight holder because the CB head is heavy and the mount would vibrate. There is no problem with that but it bugged me. This heavy version is also my second version and it hugs the console piece tighter so I cut a curve into the arm to keep it from rubbing the plastic.

Side by side of the two. Left side (light weight) only mounts on the left side of the tunnel. Right side (heavy duty) is for the passenger side.

Re: Universal Mic Holder

Found the pics from last summer when I built the light one.

Here is the light one mounted. The right one is the same just a little closer to the tunnel, beefier and on the right side.

Here is the CB. I use the CB close to never but still wanted it off the floor. Since it's bigger I opted to put it on the other side, I just don't have a pic of that yet.

The 2m gets turned on most drives over 10 miles and the mic is smaller so it fits better on the left side.

Again the plan was to keep the mic out of the cup holder, off the passenger seat and not drilled into the dash like I see so often. The left side mount is mounted all the time and ready to roll even if I don't have the mic plugged in (I monitor 2m more than transmit). I plan to keep the right side one in the garage until I need it. Just wanted to add a little tech and show a little something I made while I enjoyed a beer in the garage.