View Poll Results: Notchback or Liftback?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Notchback

1 11.11%
  • Liftback

8 88.89%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RA64 Celica build

RA64 Celica build

so if you were to get a 3rd gen ('81-'85) Celica, would you opt for a Liftback . . .
    [img width=800 height=406]http://www.dragtimes.com/images/4649-1985-Toyota-Celica.jpg[/img]

. . . or notchback, and why?
    [img width=800 height=374]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Toyota_Celica_GT-S_coupe.jpg[/img]

I imagine the liftback is easier to get a cage into and it's easier to just toss cargo in the back. The notchback has history as being Toyota's choice for rally duty back in the day and separates cargo from the passenger compartment.

I might just be day dreaming (or not), but I've had an RA65 Celica on my short list for long enough that I might give some serious consideration to the right one if I can find it (cheap, needs work, body straight)

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: 3rd gen Celica opinion

I voted liftback because I think it is a cooler looking car. Also I think it would make a super cool car to make a sleeper out of. cage it and mod the heck out of the engine... niiiiice.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I vote for liftback. Better looking car, IMHO. I do like those split 4 spoke rims on the notchback though.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    cage it and mod the heck out of the engine
    That's what I'm kinda thinking - slow build while keeping an eye on the rulebook. Keep the 4 cylinder so it doesn't get pushed into an "open" class, seam weld the shell and try to keep it as light as possible (the liftback is only 30 lbs heavier). Ultimately it'll probably come down to what body style is available - after the AE86 Corolla, these seem to get beaten on and chopped up fairly harshly

i voted liftback and here is why:

i have always wanted to love the notch. i see them around town or in a junkyard and i really WANT to like it. but then i look at that trunk, and that C pillar that resembles a fox body mustang, and it just reminds me of that late 70-80's uglyness that everything had.

for some reason, the liftback was spared the ugly rear deck with its weird trunk creases. to me, the notchback looks pure post-oil-embargo 1970's, where cars were producing half the horse power, and were ugly. the liftback somehow looks much more 1980's cocaine dealer, which is much, much cooler.

either would be a blast, but i don't think i've ever seen a clean example of that car, unmolested by JCwhitney.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I say whichever you can find for the right price and condition. Or get a 2nd gen Supra with the nice 5M-GE inline-6. Same car as the liftback Celica but the Supra has IRS and the nice engine.

Lift back, period. Bigger version of the Hachi Roku IMHO and handled way better than my 2nd-Gen 1980. Notchbacks are sweet, stylish no, Just remember like the 2nd-Gens, that added weight is the same as with a truck versus a 4Runner, when you break the backside loose, you better be able to countersteer the thing and quick.

Market rate on fixer-uppers is up there though, easily $6,000-$10,000. I looked over a huge radius and got only 3 nationally.

Post up what you find and what sources you're using in your search b/c I am shopping again for a Cressida or Corolla and have come across a few of those here.

Watch the classifieds in T.O.R.C.: http://toyotacluborg.proboards.com/index.cgi? as well as H/R: http://hachiroku.net/forums/ and I'll call some friends to help look if you want me to.

Off to play some Gran Tourismo.

I dig the '84/'85 Supra, and love me some inline 6 engines, but if I decide to rallycross the thing later, the Supra's 5MGE would bump up into a class I don't want to be in. Whereas I know I can build a screaming quick 22RE.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi..
    Market rate on fixer-uppers is up there though, easily $6,000-$10,000. I looked over a huge radius and got only 3 nationally.

Post up what you find and what sources you're using in your search b/c I am shopping again for a Cressida or Corolla and have come across a few of those here.
    I found a notchback with a blown headgasket for $400 about 3 hrs from me & a few liftbacks (running, some rust) for less than $2k within a 2 hr drive. My main resource has been the statewide craigslist search engine and specific search terms (i.e. 1985 Celica).

This is pretty much the main reason I'm looking at the notchback, I haven't seen any broken / non-running liftbacks yet

That is one sick looking car, I saw a notchback on craigslist around here recently in red.

It wasn't in too bad of shape either

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast