Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BFG AT vs. DuraTrac

BFG AT vs. DuraTrac

Hey all,

I'll be buying some tires in the next month, and I think I've got my choices narrowed down to either the BFG AT T/A KO or the Goodyear DuraTrac. Looking at getting them in the 265/75-16 size.

I'm really leaning towards the BFG, even though I'm not a huge fan of the tread pattern. I know a lot of people here have them, and have had really good results.

I've also been looking at the DuraTrac. I haven't heard too much about them on this board, but the reviews for the tire on tire rack seem to be really good....even better than the BFG. The DuraTrac tires are a bit cheaper as well.

What do you all think? Should I go with my gut and get the BFG's, or try the DuraTrac?

Thanks.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Re: BFG AT vs. DuraTrac

Can't go wrong with the BFG's, but I was seriously thinking of giving the duratracs a try on the 4th gen.

Now the only reason I'm waffling is because of gas prices.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Thats a hard one. The duratracs are a shade more aggressive in the amount of tread void. The also have some scales in the voids for snow traction. The BFG on the other hand is a proven high mileage, decent tire.

I would try duratrac myself if I felt like I was going to add in more highway to my routine. I'd go bfg if I was also going to add more sand wheeling along with highway.

I love my BFG ats and wouldn't trade them for any other tire.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I agree with everyone above. I've had BFG AT's on every vehicle I've owned and on each vehicle I got my money's worth. My last truck was a heavy full size and I got 48,000 miles on the first set and that set was wheeled hard.

A lot of guys on Expo like the Duratrac but like Troy said they have quite an aggressive pattern. That doesn't make them a bad tire, I just don't have any experience with them nor do I personally know anyone who has them.

FWIW my 3rd gen with the 5 speed and stock gearing can get 22 mpg with 265/75/16's easily on the freeway, even loaded. I've gotten as high as 25 mpg but it was super flat.

personally I would run the BFG's, but I really love them, I'm just to poor. Right now I am running a set of General Grabber A/T's. They are an imitation BFG A/T. I like them well enough.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Well, my timeline has recently gotten moved up a year thanks to a giant bolt in my tire and the tire shop ripping the bead. I'm still debating which tire to go with, but as of right now, I'm leaning toward the duratracs in 265/70-17.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

bottom line, i doubt you'd be disappointed by either tire. i guess it comes down to do you want to spend more on a proven tire, or take a risk (admittedly small) with the dura tracs?

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I have had good luck with several sets of BFG A/T's. My buddy has Duratrac's, and loves them on and off road. I don't think you could go wrong, either way. FWIW, I really like the look of the Duratrac's, and think they would outperform the BFG's in rain, ice, and snow.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by malteserunner
    FWIW, I really like the look of the Duratrac's, and think they would outperform the BFG's in rain, ice, and snow.
    The BFG's have been bashed for years about how bad they are in mud. Well, ok, they aren't a mud tire. One thing I've loved about the AT's is the strength. They have great sidewalls and the protector lip at the rim which helps protect the rim while in the rocks.

I've always bought load range D BFG's and found that when I bought my most recent set they only came in load range E. I did a ton of research and called a bunch of places. The topic has been brought up on other forums and after reading I decided I'd give the LR E (10 ply) a whirl. The tires are fine, weight is fine and I don't notice any difference. I'll find the link on Expo about it and look for my comments as there was other talk about the snowflake symbol and that some people want/need that and some of the tires didn't have it :drama:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast