Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BFG AT vs. DuraTrac

Re: BFG AT vs. DuraTrac

i also bought load range E tires this time, the D's are more expensive and impossible to find. go figure...

so far the E's feel great. i notice a difference between old and new tires, but im not sure how much of that is due to the load range difference and how much is down to the fact that they are new and the old ones were OLD.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I tried BFG AT's, while they were ok they were not great. I found that if your going anywhere near mud they clog up and dont clean out too well, the also clog up with snow in the same manner, dont work well on ice and hydroplaned to easily for my liking.

I switched to dueler revos and found them much better and rode better too.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

My first 2 sets of BFG AT's were on a fullsize pick up (285/75/16). When I bought my 4Runner it had a brand new set of Revo 2's (265-70-16) on there (the style before the present one). I was happy it had new tires but wanted BFG's in 265-75-16. I put a lot of miles on those Revo 2's in close to 3 years and they were great, I would recommend them. I chose the BFG's to replace those, when the time came, because I wanted something a little more aggressive, the next size up and the heavy sidewall.

Yes, I feel the AT's are a compromise. They aren't great in mud (I tend to avoid the stuff) and I've heard about the hydroplaning but have never experienced it. My snow experience is also 50/50. We do a some traveling in snow and ice going to Tahoe and visiting family in Nevada. At times it gets squirrely but I feel it would do the same with most other tire, in the same size and with the same amount of air in them. I don't live in the snow but if I did I would likely choose another tire for winter if I did.

Thanks for all the great info guys!

I've heard about the mud issues with the BFG, but I don't plan on mudding (not my thing). I think it might be ok for what mud I may encounter on the trails, but I dunno. I've heard several other people, in addition to 4x4mike, mention the stronger sidewalls on the BFG. Stronger sidewalls would definitely be something I'd like.

As far as snow goes, the DuraTrac has really good snow reviews, and If I were moving to an area with plenty of snow, I'd probably get this tire. I submitted an application for a job in Flagstaff, so we'll see what happens with that. They get some snow there, so some better snow tires like the DuraTracs would be nice.

I'm leaning towards the BFG's, but I've got another week or so before I need to make up my mind.

I loved my Desert Duellers I had on my 2nd gen, and I really wish Bridgestone still made them. The Revos look nice, but not really as aggressive as I'd like.

Thanks again for all the input.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Let us know what you end up going with Dan!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

How important is the speed rating?

The BFG with a Q rating is more expensive than the S rating, even thought the S is rated for a higher speed. I don't get why, but maybe it has to do with the Q not having the white lettering.

Sears has the BFG tire with the S rating on sale at about the same price of TireRack, plus free mounting and no shipping charges. Total price is 800.96 + tax for set of 4. If anybody knows of a better deal, let me know!

Thanks!
    Daniel
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I think it depends on how fast you plan on driving. I'm not an expert on tires but I'm guessing the speed is based on a certain load, temperature, etc. If any of those change the number changes and even then there is probably some safety factor is built in. I've had my 4Runner at 90+ mph but not for very long and I don't plan on doing it again soon. As it is I drive like a grandma.

I looked into ratings and letters a bit in my search for BFG's. IIRC a lot of the LT tires were rated for less than 90+. Having one for say, 100 mph would probably only give piece of mind but I don't think it's necessary.

I was a long time BFG AT guy and tried the Duratrac's last summer on my Jeep WJ. I've been pleasantly surprised.

They are a little noisier, but they wear like iron and I've not had any balancing issues that I heard GY tires are known for. This past winter they were great in the snow (we didn't get much this year, but they were good in what we had)

They look great with the side biter tread on the sidewalls too.

Running 265/70R17's
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Well, I ended up getting the BFG's today. Most I've ever spent at one time on any of my vehicles.

Thanks for all the input! We'll see how these turn out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast