Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm back!!!

I'm back!!!

It was bound to happen, I bought another 4Runner. Its been just over 4 years since I sold the 3rd Gen. Stoked to be back!

Had the Titan for 3.5 years, just decided that I had no real use for a full size truck. Too damn big on trails as well. So I sold it to a guy at work, and I then bought the 4Runner from another guy at work. Lol.

Anyways..... One pic of the sold Titan. The M101A2 will be missed though. Went with the truck. Just too big (size wise) to pull behind the 4Runner.

Nothing special, just cell phone pics, but heres a couple quick ones.

Completely stock as I got it...

A few hours into it... Wind deflector, mud flaps, running boards, pin striping, and front plate removed. Washed, waxed and basket installed. Mandatory stickers applied as well.

I have a decent chunk of change to throw at it immediately. So it will change a good bit in the next month or so. Started ordering goodies already!
    Last edited by xonetruthcrewx; 09-27-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Re: I'm back!!!

Congrats! and welcome back!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Fawesome man. I just got done replying in the "Paging Everyone" thread about how I've been pining for a 4th Gen.

Anyone want to start a betting pool as to how long he holds out before the mod bug comes back to the surface?

Welcome back.
    Wasn't the Titan a work truck, as in it belonged to work? Or was that another truck? I've been wanting to step into a 4th gen now that we're a family of four. Or I could just get a trailer like the M101A2 and mount a bench seat in it.

Welcome back to the dark side!
    Thats a clean 4th gen, if I can tell correctly you scored 04-05 SR5 right?
    What are the plans for it?
    Going to build it up like your old 3rd gen and wheel?

Thanks guys. And once again, stoked to be back! Now... To answer those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Welcome back.
    Wasn't the Titan a work truck, as in it belonged to work? Or was that another truck? I've been wanting to step into a 4th gen now that we're a family of four. Or I could just get a trailer like the M101A2 and mount a bench seat in it.
    Titan was not a work truck. Personal truck it was. YES! M101 with bench seats! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Welcome back to the dark side!
    Thats a clean 4th gen, if I can tell correctly you scored 04-05 SR5 right?
    What are the plans for it?
    Going to build it up like your old 3rd gen and wheel?
    It is a 2005 V6 SR5. It has 84k miles on it and I personally know the people that I bought it from. They took very good care of it. I picked it up for 15k. Best part about it, dropped my monthly payment 240 bucks from the Titan. Haha.

Plans for it you ask? Anything like my old 3rd Gen? Of course!!!
    Over the next couple weeks I will be ordering parts. By the end of June, I should have enough time to get it all installed.

Lift - Been doing a bit of research on this one. A lot of people go the Overland Warehouse route. Nice kit but not how I wanna go with it. Gonna go the Sonoran Steel route. I loved the 1.2 kit on the 3rd Gen and I like Steves style in how he puts kits together. He doesnt seem to have much love in the 4th Gen community, but eff it. Im gonna roll with it. (But feel free to speak up if there is something I dont know)

Tires - 33s (285/75/16) for now. I have been running Cooper STTs for many years now. I love them, but I think I wanna switch it up a little. Its between the Goodyear MTR Kevlar and the Cooper ST MAXX. Leaning towards the Cooper ST MAXX though. Nice cross between an AT and MT, with a 3ply sidewall. Figure they will do better than the MTR being that Im not regearing now. Thoughts?

Body Lift - 1.5" 4Crawler. Between the Susp and Body Lifts, I will be ready to rock 35s. Would jump straight to them, but unfortunately I dont have an extra 4k laying around for lockers and gearing. So like I said, 33s for now. By the time they wear out, I should be ready for 35s and gearing/lockers.

Other little things for now.... Spidertrax spacers. CBI tire carrier. Front tint. Stubbs Sliders. New Headunit. CB radio. Deckplate mod. Silverstar Ultra headlightbulbs. Im sure Im missing a few little things. Seems like a good start though.

Quote Originally Posted by xonetruthcrewx
    I have been running Cooper STTs for many years now. I love them, but I think I wanna switch it up a little. Its between the Goodyear MTR Kevlar and the Cooper ST MAXX. Leaning towards the Cooper ST MAXX though. Nice cross between an AT and MT, with a 3ply sidewall. Figure they will do better than the MTR being that Im not regearing now. Thoughts?
    I've read some good reviews of the Hankook Dynapro MT if you're interested in considering another option - supposed to be nice on-road as well.
    here's one article on them
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Never liked the Dynapro MT. No siping and down right ugly! Haha. Cant be rollin around with ugly tires.

Awesome!
    Should be a great build if its going to follow the path of your 3rd gen idea.

I want to speak up a little bit on your lift ideas.
    I was a huge supporter of Sonoran's lift, and I still run the rear set up he offered, however if I where to do it again, I would only get the adjustable pan hard and piece together the rest.
    However that was on a 3rd gen, your working on a 4th.

I stopped by Sonoran's site and it looks like it just utilizes the stock stuff in the front and then a custom rear coil, which is all well and good, but for almost $1200 I think you can do a little better.

I would look into the Toytec Adjustable Coil overs for the front.
    I switched to that from the TRD Tundra coils and have been extremely impressed with the way the front works on the truck now, especially with the all-pro uniball UCAs I picked up as well (this part you can up grade way down the road before you jump to 35s)
    You know front flex is not the greatest on the IFS rig but those coil overs defiantly help out a lot. I believe Ric here on the board is running that set up.

As for the rear, the Toytec "Superflex" coils look promising and are currently on a deal.
    Toytec also has extended brake lines that Sonoran does not include in his kit.
    I would still pick up the adjustable panhard bar from sonoran.

Just my .02 on the lift thought.

As far as tires, thats all you, I'm on my 3rd different brand of off-road tires that I am currently happy with off-road wise, but I am looking to get a different set of tires on a different set of rims for on-road travel.
    Working at a shop now makes it easy to swap them over, so I don't know if that would be an option.

Body lift is good, and will help with those 35s, but I believe that front body mount on the rear of the well is still going to need some trimming or relocating iirc from reading other builds on that platform.
    So be prepared to get to some cutting and welding, which is always fun!

The other little things are a good list but before you spend the money on those Silverstar bulbs, look into updating the headlamps to the 06+ style with the projection lenses, this way you could possible upgrade to HID bulbs down the line.
    And start looking for custom intakes, deckplate mod isn't possible due to the stupid ass design of the air filter on the 4.0s

Can't wait to see this thing in action too, if you guys keep popping up with these 4th gen build I might start looking for one myself to build up

Was going to reply to all of this and talk about the only other way I would go is the 2.5 kit from Overland Warehouse. Jumped on their site just now.... and they have closed their doors! Well, so much for considering that option. Errrrr.

Anyways, Sonoran vs Toytec. Same price except Sonoran get you an adjustable panhard. Is the adjustable panhard actually needed on a 4th gen, the consensus is no. So considering that, is it worth it to go Toytec and have the coilover fronts? Not in my opinion. It will be set once and done. Both use Bilstein shocks. One has a threaded sleeve and one doesnt. One uses an OEM spring, the other uses Eibach. Rears are pretty much the same. Toytec gets you a diff drop, but that is not needed on a 4th gen.

As for the Deckplate mod, you are right. I searched for it being done on a 4th gen and I came across a thread. Just went back and looked again... It was being done on a V8. So, thats not going down. Haha. And going with a complete intake system, blah. I really just wish there was a direct fit snorkel for the 4th gens. Some have made 95-04 Tacoma snorkel fit, but eh.

No worries on it needing a body mount chop. It just so happens that I have a little fabrication experience.

As for swapping to the 06+ headlights, I could care less about having the projector. The Silverstar Ultra bulbs are a HUGE improvement. And at 70 bucks for hi and low beams, hard to beat!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast