Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan's Cross-Country Road Trip

Re: Dan's Cross-Country Road Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Obi..
    Note to self, be glad Keith's a friend, and don't go pissing him off.

WTH'd you learn those bits of trivia man?
    Burn Notice.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Moab, Arches, Bryce gets hot about now. I've always gone around Easter and even then it gets toasty during the day. Not really an issue but it depends on what you're doing. If you're driving through it's probably no big deal. If you're mountain biking, hiking or wheeling it will be hot. I know some folks that live/lived there and they just did their outdoor activities in the morning.
    Cool...thanks for info. Do you have a trip report or any maps of where you went? I'd like to do some hiking (need to get in better shape and lose weight), but if it's too hot, I'll skip that.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    check with http://www.usacarry.com/ for a lot of help with e carry issues, and good references.

Sounds like you have the basics, but I also uploaded a map of reciprocity for NC CCW's.
    Thanks Chris! I didn't realize Maryland was on the list of states that don't honor NC's CCW, so I'll have to figure out what to do there too.

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    I have a couch in my RV that pulls out into a bed if you need a place to stay for a night (or longer)if you have any inkling to check out the Portland area on your way through.

Fantasy Canyon, a few hours east of Salt Lake City is worth checking out -> BLM site - Google Images

When you're in the Salt Lake City area, definitely check out the LDS Temple in the middle of the city - they won't let you in it unless you're Mormon, but the structure is impressive. Oh, Park City, also east of SLC, had a pretty cool mountain town vibe.

If you need ANYTHING while around SLC, check out the Deseret Industries Thrift stores (store locator) They are a great place to buy a suit (LDS'ers are snappy dressers), camping/outdoor equip, etc. for cheap. On my last trip I bought a pair of 3 year old skis with bindings and a bag for $25 - again just about ANYTHING

Mountain biking etc in Moab and at elevation can get sketchy if you're not already acclimated to it - expect your range to get drastically cut, take plenty of water and stop to catch your breath and take in the scenery.

Wasp spray has a greater range and shouldn't raise an authoritarian eyebrow (read more here). Oh, and a flare gun - if you're on hard asphalt aim it at the ground in front of your target and it should shatter/ricochet a nice spread of burning phosphorous (so I've been told, either way it's still a .410ga sized projectile)
    Thanks Keith! Good info there. That fantasy canyon looks awesome. Just the kind of travel tips I'm looking for!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Obi..
    WTH'd you learn those bits of trivia man?
    I have the good fortune to be well-traveled and have met some interesting individuals along the way
    Burn Notice.
    The series? Looks interesting, I may have to check that out

\threadjack
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    Cool...thanks for info. Do you have a trip report or any maps of where you went? I'd like to do some hiking (need to get in better shape and lose weight), but if it's too hot, I'll skip that.
    Check this site out for GPS tracks, trip reports, topos, pics, etc of offroad trails in Utah and Colorado -> Trail Damage (click on "Trailhead Map" for the state you want to look at)
    Don't let the name scare you off, all the trails are rated with some being simple dirt roads (keep an eye on weather in the desert, a big storm can cause flash flooding miles away).

Free hiking resource, some areas of the country have better info than others: http://www.localhikes.com/ . . . though the best trails can sometimes be found by talking to the locals in whatever outdoor equipment shop is near your destination.

I wrote a POI file based off Trail Damage maps that will work on Garmin for Moab and surrounding area trails, but can convert it for you if you have some other navi platform -> POI Factory / host site
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

dirtopia.com also has some stuff. not an end all site, but can be useful. just another resource!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'm going to get a later start than I was hoping, and looks like I'm going to have to scrap my plans for the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive. We'll see.

I may end up doing a quick trip up the outer banks instead. Then from there, swing up to see my little bro and his wife in Norfolk, VA. From there I'll head up to DC, and the rest of the trip as planned.

We'll see what happens.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I still think its to bad you cant find your way across boring old Tennessee! It's been WAY to long since I've seen you.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I still think its to bad you cant find your way across boring old Tennessee! It's been WAY to long since I've seen you.
    Yeah, way too long! I was hoping to get by your way, but I don't think I'll be able to make it. If I land a job out West, I may end up driving back to NC to pick up my stuff and haul a trailer back. I should be able to swing by then, unless shipping my crap ends up cheaper.....I figure that out when the time comes.

Sure would be great to see you all again!

Do Tail of the Dragon?

Sedona is an awesome place, but in Aug it can be pretty hot. Expect temperatures in the 90s, but if you go, you'll probably be treated to monsoon rains in the afternoons. It cools down nicely, may or may not rain in your particular location, and you'll have a nice lightning show.

Most hiking trails are right off the road and depending on what trails you choose to hike, expect to get a couple hikes in per day.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast