Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Cross-Country Road Trip

Re: Dan's Cross-Country Road Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Obi..
    Do Tail of the Dragon?
    That would be awesome, but It doesn't look like I'm going to be in that part of NC. Now that I look back, I kinda wish I could've done a bit more exploring around NC before I leave. I've been wanting to check out Portsmouth Island for a while, but doesn't look like I'm going to make it. Would be a great spot for an east coast jamboree.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    Sedona is an awesome place, but in Aug it can be pretty hot. Expect temperatures in the 90s, but if you go, you'll probably be treated to monsoon rains in the afternoons. It cools down nicely, may or may not rain in your particular location, and you'll have a nice lightning show.

Most hiking trails are right off the road and depending on what trails you choose to hike, expect to get a couple hikes in per day.
    I've heard about the great lighting storms out there, and that is something I'm looking forward to. Here in NC, we don't get too many crazy thunderstorms. Most of the big storms that roll across the plains end up being funneled up into the Ohio Valley by the Appalachians. I like a good thunderstorm as long as there aren't any tornados or hail. The humid summers we have here a miserable, so I'm looking forward to the dryer heat too.

I"m not in the greatest shape now, so I'd like to hit up some of those trails. I'd like to build up my stamina, and I need to lose 50 or 60 pounds.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

The Dragons tail is always a good time, not nearly as fun now though. Cops patrol it like CRAZY.

I've done it several times in a a few different Miata's, including turbo versions.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Well the cargo box is done! I'll post up some pictures, but right now the internet is down, and it's a pain to do anything online (I'm at Starbucks now).

Packing up all my stuff in the house is taking longer than I thought. I'm trying to get everything ready to go so when I do land a job somewhere, I can come back and throw everything in a trailer quick.

So, looks like I'm heading out a bit later than expected again. Packing is taking longer than I anticipated and I'm waiting on a foam mattress I ordered to show up. If I can leave tomorrow (Friday) I should still be able to hit the Outer Banks, maybe.

I didn't get the clutch replaced. Marlin screwed up my order, and I didn't get the clutch in time for my appointment at the shop. I know Marlin is supposed to have awesome service, but I'm less than thrilled with the service I've gotten. Kinda frustrated with them. Oh well.

I'll post up some pictures in the next few days.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Did you actually GET the clutch Dan? I'm sure we (the UY community) can hook you up along the away. If I could meet up with you, we could get it changed out real quick. I'm sure the same goes for others here and along the route of your journey.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

what chris said. if you make it all the way out to Cali, we can change it here.

dan, you have my number, keep me updated via txt or phone call.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the offers! I do have the clutch with me.

I have a two week gap between the LEGO convention in Chicago and the time I'm supposed to be in Lincoln, NE to meet up with family. Right now, the plan is to spend that two weeks up in Oshkosh, WI and help setup for the AirVenture Airshow. It'll be a great way to network with folks, and, who knows, maybe I can bum a ride in a plane while I'm there.

Anyways, I think I'm going to try to find a tranny shop in either Oshkosh, WI or Lincoln, NE to swap out my clutch. If anybody can recommend any shops in these areas, it would be great!

Below is a picture of my platform. A carpenter friend of mine build the basic structure and the drawers, and I laid the carpet (indoor/outdoor carpet) and put the drawer faces on. I wanted something to dress up the front of the drawers, so I just used some book shelves that happen to be almost the exact dimensions I needed. The little humps you see are where the carpet covers the hinges for the side wings and the two cubby lids at the front of box. We'll see how much I end up regretting my decision to cover the hinges. The whole setup needs some tweaking, but I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Picture of the 4runner with the tires:

I'm still debating whether or not to remove the running boards. I definitely want to, but I also want to protect the bottom of the doors from rocks flung up the tires.

Still waiting on my foam mattress...

Your truck looks good. I took my running boards off and went on a trip before I got my sliders. The rockers took a bit of a beating but it's not super noticeable. When I did get my sliders I welded in inserts in the openings to save the green paint.

And I'm off! Woohoo!

Mattress finally came in yesterday afternoon. I also had to replace my MAF sensor yesterday. I tried cleaning it, but that didn't solve any of my pinging issues. Seems to work fine now. Fuel trim was way off according to my mechanic friend.

I'll start a "trip in progress" thread once I have something interesting to post. The first 3 weeks or so of this trip probably won't be very exciting to most folks, but once I start heading into the Dakotas, things should start to get interesting. Outer Banks are out. No time....I'd rather spend the time with my brother and his wife.

I hope to create a blog too, so I'll probably work on that while I have 2 weeks of down time in WI. I have no clue how to do that sort of thing.

I have a job lead in North Dakota, so we'll see what happens with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Your truck looks good. I took my running boards off and went on a trip before I got my sliders. The rockers took a bit of a beating but it's not super noticeable. When I did get my sliders I welded in inserts in the openings to save the green paint.
    Thanks Mike! My plan was to get some sliders with inserts, but none of the shops I sent messages to got back to me. I'll have to see what shops are on my route, and see if any of them can weld on some sliders.

God speed and drive safe Dan!

the google/blogspot blogs are super simple to set up, and come from your google account, which is convenient.

hope to see you in a few months!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast