The ABS light on my 2000 4Runner came on the other day so I jumped online to find out how to pull the codes from the ABS computer. 99+ models must be different from previous years because everything I read online said to jumper terminals TC and E1 in the under-hood diagnostic box and count the flashes from the ABS light. That did nothing but make the Cruise Control light flash. I finally came upon a Lexus technical bulletin on such a process and it was the fix for my 2000 4Runner. Here's the process.

Locate the black box labeled "diagnosis" on the driver's side of the intake manifold.

Place a jumper (paper clip) in terminals TC and E1.
Remove the "short pin" that is located in the diagnostic slot nearest the front of the vehicle and toward the passenger's side. It looks like this:

Turn the ignition switch on and count the flashes of the ABS light. Mine came up 4 9. Code 49 is no signal from the tail lights. As it turns out, my third brake light burned out and since I have LED tail lights, the LEDs pull so little current the ABS couldn't sense when the brakes were applied. I replaced the bulb and proceeded to reset the ABS light.

With the "short pin" still removed and terminals TC and E1 still jumpered, turn the ignition switch on and pump the brake pedal at least 8 times within 3 seconds. The ABS light will now reset.

The technical article is located here: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake10.pdf and the instructions to reset the service light are on page 7.

From what I gathered, a 1998 4Runner does not require removal of the "short pin" while my 2000 did as does newer Lexus products.

Good luck.