Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling and resetting ABS codes

Pulling and resetting ABS codes

The ABS light on my 2000 4Runner came on the other day so I jumped online to find out how to pull the codes from the ABS computer. 99+ models must be different from previous years because everything I read online said to jumper terminals TC and E1 in the under-hood diagnostic box and count the flashes from the ABS light. That did nothing but make the Cruise Control light flash. I finally came upon a Lexus technical bulletin on such a process and it was the fix for my 2000 4Runner. Here's the process.

Locate the black box labeled "diagnosis" on the driver's side of the intake manifold.

Place a jumper (paper clip) in terminals TC and E1.
    Remove the "short pin" that is located in the diagnostic slot nearest the front of the vehicle and toward the passenger's side. It looks like this:

Turn the ignition switch on and count the flashes of the ABS light. Mine came up 4 9. Code 49 is no signal from the tail lights. As it turns out, my third brake light burned out and since I have LED tail lights, the LEDs pull so little current the ABS couldn't sense when the brakes were applied. I replaced the bulb and proceeded to reset the ABS light.

With the "short pin" still removed and terminals TC and E1 still jumpered, turn the ignition switch on and pump the brake pedal at least 8 times within 3 seconds. The ABS light will now reset.

The technical article is located here: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake10.pdf and the instructions to reset the service light are on page 7.

From what I gathered, a 1998 4Runner does not require removal of the "short pin" while my 2000 did as does newer Lexus products.

Good luck.

Re: Pulling and resetting ABS codes

Thanks for the tip!

If you had an LED brake light in addition to the LED tail lights, would the brake lights pull enough current for the ABS to work properly?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I have wondered about that too. It's possible you may need to add a resistor to the brake light circuit if you're running all-LED. The bulb in the 3rd brake light has gotten hot enough to turn the bulb socket crispy brown. If I had more free time I would have converted it to LED as well.

I should mention you have to remove the rear wind deflector to get to the bulb in the 3rd brake light.

i have converted mine to LED on the 3rd brake light. i will be changing it to a better LED soon, but that's a topic for another day.

What LED's are you running in the tail lights? i'm wanting to switch mine out for something brighter. or ill just get some aftermarket park/stop LED lights and put on the bumper.

to me, putting in a resistor (especially for turn signals) defeats half the purpose of LED lights

back on topic, nice find on the diagnosing the ABS light. i was unaware there was a difference between 98 and 99.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Wiring-wise there is a big difference between 98 and 99. I read an article a few years ago that Toyota saved around 20 pounds on the wiring harness by going from integrated wiring (a wire for each function) to something Toyota calls "multiplex communication system." Multi-plex is a fiber optic cable to transmit data between the various ECUs. I have never seen this fiber optic cable but I have also never looked for it. It goes between the backdoor ECU (where the rear wiper/window, alarm transponder modules, etc are located) and the body ECU under in the driver's footwell.

I am using the Eagle Eyes taillights. I like them because they look exactly like the newer 01-02 taillights with clear glass rather than frosted, only with LED brake lights like you would see on a newer RAV4 or 4th gen 4Runner. In other words, it looks modern without looking ricey.

thanks. i've been trying to find some with LED turn signals as well, but no luck so far.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Yes, no one makes them. I normally would not use an off-the-shelf LED drop-in bulb, but I might consider it for the turn signals. Most drop-ins are poorly heat sinked, but the turn signals are on-off and not used much, so their life expectancy is probably pretty good. You would need an electronic flasher too.

i already put in an electronic flasher when i did the front LED turn signals. I have a lead on some quality drop in bulbs to use, ill post up when i do it

I have this exact same problem. Only thing is i cant find the "short pin". I do not see it in the OBDII connector in the cab and dont see it in the diagnostics port next to the motor. Any suggestions or pictures to help me find it? Thanks so much this has lots of promise for being the issue i have.

I have a 99 tacoma prerunner extended cab v6 if that helps. Thanks!

I'll get you some pictures tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast