Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable air compressor

Re: Portable air compressor

My $25 MV-50 is still running strong. If I ever have to replace it the price is now $80 at Amazon and the lowest I have seen is $70 at Northern Tool. I should have bought three.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc P
    What are you guys using these days?
    I've had this for a couple of years now. Endless air at a high rate.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/DSC06356.jpg[/img]

York OBA install

i was strongly considering a york, but i think i want to put a second alternator in that spot, so i dont know...

my little MV50 is going strong, it's my second one after i broke my other one (my fault). i am looking for something a bit more powerful. mine starts to struggle on the last tire. nice ones can be so expensive though! im thinking a small 1 or 2 gallon tank to go along with it would help a bit.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean, years ago I had a small Cadillac compressor and used a tank. The tank you drain so fast it was near useless. I then bought another caddy compressor and ran 2, same thing. It would take the pump quite awhile to get a tank to pressure, then you have to find somewhere for a tank. I have a half gallon tank with my York as that is all that would fit.

Why do you need 2 alternators? IMO while the vehicle is running you'll be fine. If anything do one of the alternator upgrades and stick with one higher output unit.

Or you could do something like this guy did. I think he has 2 alternators. One for regular duties and one for the Premiere Power Welder. Along with a supercharger, york, 3 batteries and a winch. Also note he has a 5 speed so he has a clutch master cylinder in there as well.

Here you can see the second alternator pulley.

I don't know who the guy is or where I saved the pics from but this thing is built up.

I never would have thought all that could fit!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

my reason for dual alts is redundancy. if one dies, i can survive on the second.

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

That guy must have spent some time finding a place for all of that. The supercharger actually opens a bit of room up, but wow.

I'm curious what he did to get rid of the bulky charcoal canister or whatever that is on the driver's side fender. Maybe the '96-'98 4Runners don't have that....I dunno.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Dan, we have the canister there, I am curious how he did it as well

Isn't it just a canister and some vacuum switching valves? If so, you could mount the canister behind the bumper and extend the vacuum lines and the wiring for the VSVs. Not sure how the smog nazis would like that though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast