Thread: Strut or Spring?

Strut or Spring?

Just over a year ago I traded a set of 3rd gen tall springs for a set of PP springs. I also bought a new set of Tokico TrekMaster R/T shock/struts. Originally I was going to do the 99 / Tokico setup, but then used the Tokico's with the PP springs.

The outcome was exactly what I wanted.. somewhere along the lines of 1.5 inches of lift, and pretty level all around. The front driver and front passenger were almost perfectly level with each other... the passenger side just a slight bit lower. As expected the ride wasn't necessarily an improvement, the PP springs are known for being a bit stiff. I wasn't concerned with that though. In some aspects they did ride better, just not as far as comfort was concerned.

Anyways, fast forward to now. Every time I leave work I think "Hmm, that passenger side looks a good bit lower up front than the rest of the truck..". I just figured that tire was in a small dip in the parking lot. Most of the parking lot is like that.. So, today I had pulled the truck around to the garage to clean the front wheels because they had a years worth of brake dust built up on them. At that point I could definitely notice a difference. So, I took the tape measure out and noticed it's almost exactly 1 inch lower on the front passenger side, than the driver side. Originally it was only around 1/4" difference if I remember correctly, not enough to notice.

On top of this, it seems like the front of the truck is a bit bouncy lately. I don't know if that's just me being paranoid after noticing the one side being lower or not, but it's really been apparent to me the past two weeks.. the back end is stiff as hell though.

So, I'm curious if the drop is height could be related to the strut? I've heard people argue a shock/struts involvement in height both ways... it can play a role in height, and that it can't play a role. The only thing that makes me bring it into question is the bouncyness I've noticed up front.

I will also note I've needed an alignment since this was done.. the passenger inner TRE was discovered to be bad when I took it in for an alignment afterwards, and up until now I haven't had the funds to fix it.. there have been other things on my list of "to-do's". With that said, both tires look to be equally as bad, and the fact it was level originally even when needing the alignment last year.

Anyone want to throw out some opinions... strut or spring? ~As always.. gracias!

Re: Strut or Spring?

The only way the damper or "strut" can affect ride height is if they are high pressure shocks. The pressure inside them acts as an air spring. You would know if they're high pressure because when you installed them they automatically extend to their fullest length and it's really really hard to push the shaft back in. This is not to be confused with low pressure shocks which will also fully extend by themselves, but they're easier to push back in.

So, if they are high pressure shocks, then, yes it's possible for your ride height to be affected by the shocks alone. Are there any signs of leaking around the shock? That's a sure give away that it's bad.

However, if they're not high pressure shocks, then the problem is more likely with the spring or maybe bushings.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I didn't think about bushing being the cause, but I wouldn't doubt those being bad with over 200k miles, bad alignment, bad inner TRE... etc..

mine has the same lean, never been able to figure out why...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I realize this thread is old now, but just wanted to add that the lean wasn't as bad as I once thought. At one point I measured a 1" to 1 1/4" difference in height from driver to passenger side. That's quite substantial.

Previously I was measuring ground to flare, and on a surface that might not have been exactly level. Now I'm measuring on a flat surface center of hub to flare. It seems I'm actually just 1/2" lower on the driver side.. not bad.

DF: 21.5"
    DR: 22"

PF: 22"
    PR: 22.5"

Previously I was getting the opposite... passenger side being lower by twice as much. So, this is good news.

Unfortunately, they still ride terrible.