Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake shoes keep unadjusting

Brake shoes keep unadjusting

This one is stumping me, I put the new axle on my truck and the brakes were nice and tight. Drove for a bit and it feels like the fronts braking way more than it should be. Bleed everything 3x to be sure theres no air, adjust the rear shoes so they are tight.

I drive down the road 5 miles and the pedal is again low and I jack it up and check the rears and sure enough its become unadjusted somehow. tighten them up and its ok again for 5 miles.

Ideas? thinking perhaps the springs and adjusters are worn out. When I put the new rear axle on everything was very clean and new looking believe it not. Im thinking I should replace all the springs and the adjusters?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: Brake shoes keep unadjusting

Maybe the adjusters are installed backwards? I have seen it before at my work.
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

IE they are on the wrong sides of the truck? Maybe the stopper brackets on the wrong side? I doubt that since the star wheels in the right spot. I also noticed I had it adjusted just fine-then spun the tires and yanked the e-brake cable to stop them-wouldnt you know it loosend up some..

Im thinking perhaps the parts are maybe one of the following:

1. Worn out from sitting, this was a junkyard axle that was CAKED in rust outside. The inside of the drums and all parts are however very clean.

2. After speaking with a friend he suggested I maybe lube the adjusters with anti-sieze. Perhaps they are rusted inside or something on the threads.

3. Possible bad wheel cylinders? They arent leaking but maybe they are weak from sitting?

IDK really. I suppose I could yank all my good parts off my old axle or just buy new parts (think it would be about 50 for everything anyways, springs and adjusters). Then put them all on knowing they are good.

If it is that cheap for new stuff, I would go that route, so you would at least eliminate that possibility.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Yea I just dropped 50 bucks at rock auto for the adjusters, the bracketry for the adjusters and all new springs.

Im thinking one of the adjusters has to be on backwards but until I get all the parts Im not gonna crack it open for fear I take it apart and Im SOL or something. I dont have any long distance driving coming up and the pedals ok for now-just a bit low.

HERE is a link to a '96 T100 FSM to verify the drum brake setup.

-Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Thanks Chris.

So 3 things:

1. The drivers side drum needs to be cut or most likely Ill buy a new one. Might as well buy a set. Its warped inside and thus the reason it loosens up it seems (or feels that way) I think. We all know the shoes must be literally almost touching the drums on these trucks, the one pass side is and nicely might I add. The drivers side is not and you can clearly see it.

2. The self adjuster brackets on this axle are the same as my old one but apparently mine were long missing some kinda spring that holds the adjuster bracket in place. Both sides have it so it belongs. I find this interesting, it doesnt seem to be needed in all honesty since I drove for god only knows how long on the old axle with them.

3. This baffles me. The adjusters gotta be on the wrong sides or something b/c I just tried to do the e-brake adjust method and the damn brakes got looser.. what gives..

So Im gonna buy some drums. Everything and I mean everything in there (despite the outside looking like it sat in a mud swap for 25 years and rusted to death)is SUPER clean. Amazing really, its cleaner than my old axle was..

What really sucks is I probably should change the shoes just to be picky when I do everything. I dont wanna :P

Figured Id make a small update of my plans..

So if the shoes de-adjust when I hit the parking brake instead of adjust I think the adjusters are on the wrong side. Especially since I noticed that when ordering they indicate a left and right side with different part numbers. Gonna swap the sides and see what happens.

i would try that first marc. it could save you a bit of coin, especially if they are otherwise in great condition.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

They are on the correct sides Sean. I just tried to swap them and you cant adjust them properly if they are on the wrong sides, so I put them back the other way. I adjusted it good, took apart part of the e-brake mech. on the pass side rear b/c it seemed to be sticking and I cleaned and lubed it as well. I can physically see thru the inspection hole the shoe is where its supposed to be-nearly touching the drum.

Put it all back together and slapped on some new drums just to be sure and its adjusted. Didnt drive much but, it felt good. Guess we'll see what happens. Im stumped at this point if it un-adjusts. I mean drum brakes are rather simple...

Only other idea I have is perhaps i need to rig up a higher bracket for the LSPV as the rears might be activating too late or something.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast