Thread: Goodyear Duratrac 265/70-17 installed

Goodyear Duratrac 265/70-17 installed

So after getting a giant hole in my original factory tire with 60k miles on it and having the tire shop rip the bead, I decided to just move up my schedule a year and get the duratracs.

At full lock I get slight rubbing on the rubber engine splash guards, and I think that's it. I only got them a few days ago, so no chance to take them off road and test out clearance while articulated.

Road noise is surprisingly quiet for a mud tire, but then again it's a mild mud tire. It's definitely louder than the factory tires, but not bad at all.

The stock tire actual diameter measurement is 30-1/4" while the duratracs measure 31-3/8".

I think I got a pretty good deal on these tires, because the goodyear service center agreed to price match discount tire (the ones who ripped my bead and then threw away the tire), plus match the $100 rebate discount tire was running. Total after rebates came to $818 out the door.

It looks a little funny right now, but next year it'll get a lift and some armor.

-------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: Goodyear Duratrac 265/70-17 installed

Looks good! I was debating between these and the BFG's for my 4runner. I like the tread pattern on the DuraTrac better. Let us know how they hold up.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Navigator

I loved my duratracs that I had on my 4runner... Chris (slosurfer) has them on his now, but he cant drive it XD they did great for street, and rock crawling, and desert.. Didnt have them long enough to comment on tread life though.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I've had these tires for about 6 months now and the data shows I've lost 1.1 mpg. Prior to getting the duratracs I was getting 20.0 mpg and now I'm getting 18.9 mpg and the calculations take into account the change in tire size. I've even increased the tire pressure to 37 psi, from my normal 34-35 psi.

Overall, I'm still happy with these tires, and I'm glad I tried them. I think maybe next time I'll go with an AT though.
    Steve

Looks sweet on your Runner... If you're wanting a milder AT next time, I would definitely recommend the Silent Armor's. They've been kicking ass and taking names since I got 'em. Definitely impressed with them cruising today in our mild snow storm.

Final update on these tires. Almost exactly 4 years to the day and 54,000 miles later, these tires are now gone. Frankly, I'm glad too. They were getting really loud and out of round.

However, it was most likely my fault because I'm terrible at keeping up with tire rotations. I'm sure if I had kept the rotated every 5000 miles, or even every 10,000 miles, they would have been better, but I'm lazy. Also, the stock shocks were just starting to leak when I replaced them a while ago, so that might have contributed.

For the first three years they were fine but this last year was almost unbearable. The noise wasn't so bad, but at freeway speeds they would shake the whole truck.

Other than the unbalance, they were worked well off road and on road. I had them on the rocks, in the mud, on fire roads doing 50+ mph and in the rain and they did fine. One tire did end up getting a hole punched right through the center of the thread from a small rock while on a gravel road. I think it was a one in a million chance though because this little rock was nothing special; it wasn't sharp, it wasn't big, it was just a lucky shot.

Because I'm still going to be lazy in the future and I've never had an AT go out of round I'm back to a true AT...the BFG KO2's.

New thread for those, here: http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...ko2-265-70-r17
    Steve