Thread: Need help finding a 120VAC timer, normally closed

Need help finding a 120VAC timer, normally closed

so the title says it all, but here are some specifics:

backyard has two motion detector lights, installed to deter (or aid, depending on how you see it) people from being in our fully fenced and locked backyard. now that we have a pool back there, it would be nice to be able to turn off those lights for 2-4 hours at a time, allowing us to enjoy low voltage landscape lights and the occasional tiki torch without being blinded by several hundred watts of halogen light.

it would be simple to install a switch to turn the lights on and off, but it would be better to have it fail safe, so after 2-4 hours, the power to the lights is restored without any human interaction.

what i basically want is the type of timer you see in hotel bathrooms for the heated floor. turn to the desired time, although most i am seeing have a maximum of 2 hours, which is on the small side. in addition to that, i am in need of a timer that is normally closed, being opened only for the duration of the timer.

normally i would use a relay and be done with it, but i am not super familiar with AC power outside the typical 120v-240v single phase operations.

any ideas?

thanks!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Need help finding a 120VAC timer, normally closed

Are your lights wired to a switch? I assume they are but they could be hardwired and hooked to a motion and or a photo eye.

I would use a switch as it will give you the most flexibility. I recently replaced a power hungry halogen flood light over my garage. I had a light that at max would gobble up 200 watts. It was way bright and I didn't like the motion part of the light (at dusk it would be 50% and when it detected motion it would go to 100% - spent most of it's time at 100%).

I bought a 10w led flood light and wired it to the switch below. The switch is programmable and can be over ridden to ON at the push of a button. It's got a clock and calendar on it so it knows dusk to dawn times but they can be over ridden. You can also set it to come on whenever you want. From what I remember from the instructions it doesn't seem like it would do the couple hour thing like you want though. In that instance I would get one of the hotel type switches (Home Depot or the like). You might be able to wire it backwards and make it normally closed.

This light was about $35 shipped and is 1/10 of the power than the one it replaced. The color and output also works better with my LED eave lighting.

Installed

The light

The light is actually quite small and has a lot of output. They make a 12v version as well if you have a low voltage system at the house (you could wire it in with your existing lights if the transformer will power them all) or if you wanted to make one for camping.

Box from China.

The photo eye ended up not working with the LED driver. I guess it's made for incandescent. The timer switch works for CFL and LED which is new. The old ones only worked with filament bulbs. When I saw the new one I got all giddy.

currently, the lights are hard-wired and have motion detectors on each light. the plan is to break off that branch and put a switch on it. i just want to be able to turn the switch off for a few hours at a time and have it automatically come back on when the time is up. setting a regular turn on time is no good because those lights need to illuminate the backyard whenever we arent enjoying the pool (most of the year)

we spend a lot of time setting up our motion detector lights to come on with appropriate motion. it is nice to take the trash out or go to the car and have light at night.

im looking specifically for something like this: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/el....campaignId=WI
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Your answer is led eave lights. They are low voltage and can be mounted anywhere. As a result you have just enough light where you need it and less where you don't want it. I don't use porch lights anymore yet can walk/view the perimeter of my house from the inside or out, all at 14 watts.

I think you've got the right idea. Break off the branch and put a switch on it. I'm assuming your lights have a photo eye? Your hard part will be the 'fail safe' back on feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz

im looking specifically for something like this: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/el....campaignId=WI
    I'm wondering if you'd have what you need it you wired that switch backwards. Like on is off and off is on? One problem might be the switch being energized all the time going to the photo eye, if equipped.

Maybe a bit more then you're asking for, but I buy a lot of stuff from automation direct nowadays. They even have cheap 12-14V plcs etc. which you can program to do things like diff lock control etc.

Their timers are very reasonably priced.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...IN_(MS_Series)
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5