Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tool Storage

Since the last post, I have added a few things to my kit, but the biggest change is where I keep my recovery gear.

In a bad stuck, if I could not open the swingouts and rear hatch, I could not get to any of my recovery gear. To remedy that potential issue, I placed my straps and shackles under the passenger seat in an inexpensive backpack (pretty much just to keep them clean and unseen). My snatch block and winch controller live under the driver seat. I also wired in my in cab winch control, but will likely go for a wireless remote soon.

I also ditched my compressor for an onboard kit, so now I am using that ammo can for the air hose and accessories, plus spares.

Electrical Spares:

Basically, tons of spare fuses, crimp connectors, relays, some sheet metal screws for grounding things. Tape, heat shrink and silicone tape round out the supplies. I also keep a bunch of wire in another box.

I also have a bin (or two or 3) for spare bolts. I am not exactly sure what to put in there yet. I have a small list that I am adding to, I will share that when the time comes.

I know some questioned the longevity of using the tackle boxes. So far the only cracked one is the one above. I bought it that way and missed it when I picked it off the shelf. Whoops! All the ones I've had for over a year now are holding up darn well! No cracks or anything, and they work really for my style of packing and working.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

as I think was predicted by someone about year later the mesh window tore on two of these things.

I would guess these are of the same good enough quality without the window issue. I'm going to try them out.

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leather...ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Sean did you ever look into these tool wraps?

something like this: Amazon link

I've got a few of em and they're pretty slick.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I'm really happy with my setup so far. The Plano boxes have worked great and haven't cracked yet.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    I would guess these are of the same good enough quality without the window issue. I'm going to try them out.
    I have a set of the CLC bags, they are well made and seem like they will hold up to abuse.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

glad to hear it! I was debating going much more expensive. The whole buy once thing was rattling around in my head. There is no middle ground, its these or the klein for $15 per bag. The Klein arnt even the right sizes. These will be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times View Post
    Sean did you ever look into these tool wraps?

something like this: Amazon link

I've got a few of em and they're pretty slick.
    Those are the ones I've got. There is a picture on the first page of what they look like filled. I use two of them and bought them at the Ace Hardware down the street from SLOsurfer. I like them a lot and if I needed to carry more tools that fit in a wrap I'd buy more.

I also have the document bags shown above. I've got the ones with and without the windows. For the most part the ones with the mesh windows carry little softer things so they likely hood of them ripping is not very high. The larger bags are nice and sturdy.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456