I?m in the process of redesigning the way I package my tools and other kit for living in the back of my 4Runner. Post up pictures of your packing style and what you typically bring on day trips, etc, and then help me with my problem.

In an effort to trim down the weight and volume of the stuff that travels with me in the 4Runner, I've begun the process on pairing down the tools I bring. Right now I have 4 ammo cans, a Plano tool box, and a wrench box holding tools and supplies:

Ammo can 1: Recovery gear - 2 tow straps, one shackle (other on bumper), snatch block, winch control
Ammo can 2: sockets 1/2" drive and 3/8" drive sets
Ammo can 3: compressor - perfect for just the compressor
Ammo can 4: Etc. - fix a flat, road flares, super siphon
Tool box - wd40, gloves, rtv, pry bar, screw drivers, channel locks, goop hand cleaner, zip ties, assorted tire repair products, rope, tape, etc.
Wrench box - metric combo wrenches, and metric and standard ratcheting wrenches.

I am interested in reducing specifically the sockets and wrenches, but not so much in reducing what I bring, but reducing their footprint in the back. Currently I have 4 'fat' .50 Cal ammo cans that I store my stuff in. Their approximate dimensions are 12"L x 7" W x 8.375"H. Inside, take an 1/8th from those dimensions.

I'd like to be able to fit both socket sets (as I currently do) and the wrench set(s) in one ammo box. In addition, I?d like to not have to dig under a bunch of stuff to find the box I need or have a box full of mixed up sockets.

I have seen the 3 layer organizers on the market that fit the regular .50cal boxes, but they are slightly too small for my boxes, and they seem like they would not very efficiently meet my needs. I am thinking of making my own however, and I?m working on designs for those.

Ideas?