Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool Storage

Re: Tool Storage

If I broke CV's or other items I would carry spare parts and the tools to change them but that isn't they type of wheeling I'd like to do and I try to keep up on maintenance. One benefit of traveling with like vehicles is that someone is bound to have what you need and or know how to do something you don't. Between a couple rigs it's possible to keep them all going one way or another.

Unless you're with Ken it seems like. All you can do is try to get him drunk, eat his gum and maybe BBQ him if things get really bad

On a daily basis or quick day trips I throw a duffel in the back with assorted items. None are tools but just stuff to rough it for a couple of nights or maybe help someone who is stranded, may become stranded or unprepared.

Flares are great tools. They can be used for signaling, fire starting, safety or starting an impromptu BBQ of unprepared wheeler.

In all honesty I carry a TON of stuff in my crossbed toolbox. From recovery gear (chains and straps), a real shovel (its an old one I cut down and modified), to tools, some fluids, various other gadgets, etc. I find I use mostly everything I have, for instance I have this cheapo HF fluild transfer pump. Yea it leaks somewhat while using but its handy. I got 4x4 blocks for the jack and other uses, got rope, ratchet straps, etc.

I also have my work toolbox with me unless Im at work (I also have a large stanley socket set in one of those folding plastic blow molded things, gotta get a small toolbox for it honestly takes up too much space). In my work box I have used EVERYTHING at least once if not all the time. Remember I do roadside service and trust me those items have come in handy. I was able to change out my leaf spring bushings the other day with just that box and a friends 1/2 drive ratchet. In the box is the following:

• 1/4 and 3/8 socket setups (up to 19mm and SAE)
    • sae and metric wrenchs (from 6mm to 15mm and SAE
    • 6" and 8" crescent wrench
    • various screwdrivers, I honestly LOVE the flip type with bits on each end so long as I dont need to beat on it with a hammer
    • 20oz ballpeen
    • 12" prybar and 12" flathead
    • razor knife
    • various bits of electrical wiring and fuses and connectos
    • cheap crimper
    • electrical tape
    • duct tape
    • side terminal bat wrenches and side term adapters (for jumping)
    • test light
    • mini hacksaw
    • various vise grips, pliers, channel locks, dikes
    • pick tools
    • cable cutter
    • etc, im sure Im forgetting something

That box must weigh 20lbs and the plastic is literally breaking apart from use. Really wanted to find an older craftsman metal box cause I know they are sturdy but eek they rust in and out, mines a flambeau with special anit rust coating inside.

I have use those tools from everything from changing a starter on the side of the road to putting on an alternator, to changing out ball joints, etc. Its my go to box and it honestly has most everything you need to do alot of stuff. The only other item that I love having with me is my snap on 1/2 cordless impact setup and impact sockets. WELL worth the money, you have no idea how handy that sucker is! I swear I love having it. No air, no hoses, no electric-you can even get a 12v charger!

But yea, I honestly can fix most stuff with that setup. Maybe not some complex jobs but Im sure I can change out a CV axle with it and I know I can change out a hub, mounts of various sorts and other stuff on the T100 with it cause Ive done it. I have a full chest of tools in my basement on par with what a tech would have and I always use that box.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I've gone the soft tool bag route too. It is not very organized but allows me to take the most tools in the least amount of space. two bags for tools, one big one for recovery gear. kinda sucks when I have to dig through for the right tool, but my "gear" takes up too much room already. Thank god I dont have a jeep!

oh and I have a nice tire plug kit but when ever I look at it I always think how wasteful it is on space. The thing could fit in a sandwich bag instead of the huge case.

As far as non-wheeling related camping stuff, this is what the two of us bring.
    Tent, thermarests, sleeping bags, pillows, camp chairs, 5 gal water, 2-burner Coleman stove & 2 bottles of fuel, gas lantern, briquets, camelbaks, icechest, and our camping box with misc stuff like table cloth, dishes, small hatchet, soaps/sponges, cutting board, silverware, mosquito repellant, sun shower, bbq brush, paper towels, tp, paper plates, ceran wrap/tinfoil/sandwich bags, water kettle, 2 fry pans and a sauce pot, lighters, etc. Missing from the photo are 2-3 grocery bags of food, a box of firewood and a small duffle bag each of clothes.

We are lacking a nice folding table, other than that, we feel like we have enough stuff to be comfortable in the backcountry.

ok well i spent a little bit of time playing around with what i want to do.

basically, i want to build 4 "drawers" that will pull out of my ammo box and carry all my tools. in the following pictures, there is an outline of the inside dimensions of these drawers that i have test fit the tools into.

first drawer - sockets.

this is a mostly complete (i'm missing a 13mm 3/8" drive socket) representation. this is both my 1/2" drive and 3/8" drive sets, sans deep sockets (except my 22mm impact socket, which i could remove)

the outside width of this "drawer" would be 2 inches.

second and third drawer - metric wrenches:

you can see that there is some considerable room on these two drawers for small parts pockets, etc. OW is 1.25 inches for each

fourth drawer - ratcheting wrenches:

i am missing one wrench from that picture, but it is very small and should fit in no problem. OW is 1 inch.

"drawers" would be made of 1/8" ABS plastic, lined with heavy closed cell foam cut to fit and padded with open cell foam to hold everything in. sockets would likely have posts to fit over.

maybe carrying 2 sets of sockets and 2 sets of wrenches is overkill. i've included sizes i do not need, but often come up working on Euro or Domestic metric vehicles (13, 15, 18mm) and the standard stuff is to cover my butt, and fix the few bolts that are on my truck that came from mcmaster or the hardware store. if i can get this all to fit inside an ammo can neatly, then i dont care about carrying the little bit of extra weight to be well prepared. i have at one point in time used nearly everyone of these wrenches while working on my truck, and most of those out in the field at one point or another.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Navigator

This thread makes me feel incredibly unprepared.. I need to start working on building a vehicle kit. My 4runner was better prepared than my Taco is currently, but I haven't done anything other than Mojave road in it yet. I'm planning to build a good tool kit soon, and have some ideas for storage of certain things.

My mv50 is incredibly awkward, and I'm kinda worried about it in my crossbed box. I think I want to hard mount it under my hood (3rz gives lots of extra space under there ^_^). And those tool rolls are cool, I think I'm gonna look into a few of those.

Being a Tacoma is both good and bad for storage space. My bed gives me TONS of accessible space over what a 4runner has, but being a regular cab, VERY little secured storage. I have some plans to custom build lockable storage into the front portion of the bed, but that's another thread entirely XD
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    ^^
    I travel with these guys, therefore I bring my wallet and a pack of gum.
    LMAO! Hahaha...
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    This thread makes me feel incredibly unprepared..
    Seriously, right?!
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

thanks for the bump! I still plan on doing something about all this. Look for more info in the coming months.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast