Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tool Storage

Re: Tool Storage

So here are the details:

I was looking for a way to organize my tool box, which is a medium sized ammo can. I like these because they are very strong, air/water tight, fit nicely under my sleeping platform/cargo divider, and can be used for other things besides a tool box.

My original idea was to make boxes that fit inside the ammo can so I could organize my sockets and wrenches, plus other tools and supplies. Making the boxes would be time consuming.

I found that I could fit, with a little room to spare, 4 of these: http://www.planomolding.com/product....ID=138&PID=745

I went to Bass Pro Shop to look around and they happened to have a 4 pack of those (or very similar) for ~$18. Price was good enough for me!

I set about organizing my sockets first. I knew I would have to leave a couple out of this particular box, and that was OK. I managed to fit all but a couple, but still had to cut some dividers out. Apparently my right hand was angry at my left, and I slipped with the knife and nearly took the tip of my left index finger off. It bled pretty bad and is still pretty sore, though not bad enough for stitches.

Sockets:

Some sockets are stacked inside other sockets, but the fit is pretty good!

Next I moved on to the wrenches:

I decided to stop carrying 2 complete sets of wrenches, and chose to adopt my ratcheting set in metric and SAE as my vehicle set. You can also see the few spill over sockets. The black deep socket may return to my home tool box. I still have space in this box for a few other specialty tools.

All the cases fit nicely in the ammo can:

I will be adding some foam to the bottom and sides to make the fit a bit tighter and hopefully prevent the plastic cases from breaking.

I also still have to figure out what else to put into the other two cases! So far I have consolidated 3 small boxes worth of tools into 2 efficient cases.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I think your gonnabe sorry trying to use the ratcheting set for everything Sean. I hate trying to use the box end when getting tight areas, it doesnt fit cause its much thicker and larger than a standard wrench.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Ratcheting isn't that bad. For the most part there aren't a lot of tight squeezes and ratcheting just speeds things up. One down side I see for a ratcheting is their durability. Adding leverage or breaking large stuck bolts can break the mechanism and if that happens you're SOL. A non ratcheting wrench gives you more strength in the wrench and a second chance if you booger up one side.

An 8, 10 and 14 would be nice to have because they are used all over the 4runner. Having a speedy option is nice if the need arises.

Looks good Sean. I know you mentioned foam but are the dividers within the Planos stiff enough to hold the weight of the heavier pieces over bumps and rough roads? Worse case scenario it'll all be contained within the Planos.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Looks good Sean. I know you mentioned foam but are the dividers within the Planos stiff enough to hold the weight of the heavier pieces over bumps and rough roads? Worse case scenario it'll all be contained within the Planos.
    I think we will find out! I think they should be strong enough, but who knows.

as for the ratcheting wrenches, I am considering buying a set of 19-8mm Kobalt wrenches to add to my kit. They are 25 dollars and should be pretty decent. I would take out the 11, 13, 15, 16, and 18mm and keep those aside. I am also going to invest in a much larger adjustable wrench to do those really big nuts (22mm, 24mm and 27mm)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I just finished filling out another box with tire repair items.

I won one of the trail gear kits at a raffle a few months ago. I like the kit but the box is too big and takes up too much room. In a word, it is inefficient.

Tire Repair:

Inside it has ALOT of of the tire repair strips/plugs, rubber cement, the tools for inserting the plugs (which I had to disassemble to get to fit), spare lug nuts, a valve stem tool, spare valve caps, and my wheel lock nut(moved from my wrench box). I still need to add a couple of things to the kit, like some spare valve cores, a spare or two valve stems, etc.

I still have a 4th box that is looking to get filled. Not sure with what yet! I suddenly have all this space to fill! It looks like I will be able to dedicate one ammo can to extra fluids or something else!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Sean, I like what you have done. I will be curious to hear your feedback on the Kobalt tools too. I have a second set of tools I bought at a Cummins tool sale while I was in college, but the quality is terrible and they're rusting to pieces. I need to buy a decent quality set of box wrenches and ratchets/sockets to keep in the 4Runner.

I keep wondering if you were to paint the shafts of the wrenches with Plasti-dip if it would help keep rattling to a minimum. Plasti-dip is rubbery to the touch.

I can't remember if I heard this from my financial planner or an insurance agent, but apparently tools are one of only a few items in most people's homes that do NOT depreciate in value.

If you get bored, come over and I will let you organize my garage.

I'll organize your garage if you detail my 4Runner!

I am so disappointed to learn that the new Craftsman tools are made in China now. The Kobalt's are too, but everyone seems to love them. People had some pretty nasty things to say about the newer Craftsman wrenches.

I (ok, Dad) has a full set of metric and standard box end wrenches, half of which I am carrying now. I would rather return those to the tool chest and get some cheaper ones to use in my on the go tool box.

as for the Plasti-dip, I have used it in the past and find it to not be terribly durable. In my current configuration, the wrenches are pretty tightly wedged into the box, so I don't have to worry much about them rattling around.

I havent been impressed with craftsmen for years, quality has gone WAY down.

Mike and Sean: You might want to give ol wally world a try and buy some stanley wrenches. I have a non chrome set for my work box and although abused they didnt rust. I also bought a polished SAE and metric for my home box and havent had an issue yet. Best part was they were only like 20/set!

Actually most of my tools are husky/stanley and Im quite happy. You want really cheap harbor freight wrenches and sockets are okb ut the ratchets suck big time!
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

just got a wrench set on close out at Lowes for 25. It will be going in the box shortly...

5 of the 6 new wrenches are in the second from top compartment in this photo:

the 6th (8mm) was short enough to fit with the smaller wrenches in the upper left box.

wrenches are done!

I think I will dedicate the 4th box to extra bolts and small parts.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    I'll organize your garage if you detail my 4Runner!
    You would get the short-end of that stick.

Time to order some plano boxes; that looks nicely organized.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast