Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Tool Storage

Re: Tool Storage

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike

You would get the short-end of that stick.
    you, sir, have not seen the pile of chex mix and peanuttles in my center console!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

That's all coming together nicely. Consolidating and making space is nice.

CJM: I've had or own most of the brands out there. IMO the quality of everything has declined in the past 10-15 years. My home boxes and chests have Craftman, Kobalt, Husky/Task Force, Stanley, Snap On, Mac, lisle, Williams, Dayton, Gear Wrench and HF/Import.

I'm not too rough on my tools and usually have the correct ones for the job. This goes a long way and cuts down on the failure of tools which I feel should be quite low on something like a hand tool. I used to spend a lot of time on garagejournal forum and there are some good write ups and many that have very expensive tool buying problems. I'm not sure most of them even get used but they have them all. They've done good write ups on how, say a 15mm wrench doesn't measure 15mm out of the box, for any brand. There are arguments on why they are like that, what they should be and what they should be used on. All interesting reads but I've used some knowledge picked up there and applied them to my collection. Nothing beats a US made Snap On 80 tooth 3/8" ratchet (~$150).

I started buying tools and tool boxes when I was 16 and in some years I bought a lot of tools. Having multiple is nice for a lot of reasons, one of which is to make a trail kit without picking apart a home kit. Here is some home storage from 3 years ago. These drawers have all had items added to them since then
    Partial trail set are the tool rolls on page on of this thread.

thread hijack... mike holy mother of *** that's a ton of tools ya got there!

Sean, I like what you've done. I've always thought about using a hard container but wasn't sure if that made sense cuz of the bulk. Felt that throwing it into a cloth wrap would be better but this definitely looks pretty slick and clean!

Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

^^ Mike makes me sick sometimes. My entire life looks like a disaster by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    thread hijack... mike holy mother of *** that's a ton of tools ya got there!

Felt that throwing it into a cloth wrap would be better but this definitely looks pretty slick and clean!

Those drawers have new items but still those are just the wrench and socket drawers, and just my garage collection. I still have the trail and bike kits that have copies of most of the tools plus specialty tools. I keep those stored in the attic because they are used less, raise fewer questions from the wife and it makes it easier to transition new toys into the mix. "Oh this old wrench, I've had this forever." It probably got it cheap on eBay or something :winkwink:

I tell my wife all the time I'd have way fewer tools if they didn't make bolts in so many different sizes.

i will have to take a pic or two, i have a 42" top and bottom full and a 36" 5 drawer cart with 8 side drawers and i have some in ammo cans and that dosent count construction, and i use the plastic boxes for stuff to
    i sell cars to soon to ever work on them

@Sean-for that price Id buy them too!

Hehe Mike I probably have close to the same amount in my box. I started at the age of like 8 by getting my parents to buy me every imaginable tool I wanted cause I helped them work on the house, if they werent buying stuff the rest of my family-specially my grandparents bought me tools.

By 12 I was buying my own stuff and by my teens I bought alot of tools. Still think the best investment I ever did was a set of crescent branded socket/wrench set from sams (appears to be made by whomever makes stanley/husky). Being in the auto field I got all sorts of other special use tools and basic tools as well.

I also fell in love with the stanley/husky stuff b/c of durability and price. I some tools from the trucks as well-but that doesnt mean the quality is better tho! In the end I have one of those 3 tier 26" chests (6 drawer top, 3 draw middle, 5 drawer bottom) literally full to the gills, plus another few boxes of junk Ive accumulated, plus my roadbox that has to weigh like 35lbs lol (ive broken 3 different tool boxes!) hell, just the hammer drawer in my box is chock full and that suckers like 10" deep. Been hankering for a HF 48" chest but I keep spending cash elsewhere.

Sorry to hijack...
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

If anybody is looking for a good set of USA made combination wrenches searsoutlet.com has been having good sales recently. Unfortunately most are not available for shipping at this point, but they are still available in some stores.

Here's an example, there are other sets available as well.
    http://www.searsoutlet.com/14-PC-Wre...ectionType=all

Another (less expensive) option are the "Northern Industrial" combination wrenches from northerntool.com.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

So here is my storage situation as of today. This has worked for me for years, and with the new improvements, it works even better!

First, I have a Plano tool box. I got it for free! (sorry for the bad picture)

On the lid, there are two clear, divided boxes where I keep my selection of JB weld and other adhesives, a lighter, test light (and also a spare tail light bulb) among other things.

Inside the tool box there is a lift out tray. It houses some of the tools that wouldn't otherwise fit in a nice organizer.

At the bottom of the tool box resides my hammer, pry bar, breaker bar, and a bag with Gorilla tape, electrical tape, and bailing wire.

My second tool box is an ammo can with 4 of the plastic tackle boxes as discussed before:

Sockets and Tire Repair:

Wrenches and Screwdriver/etc kit:

We were initially worried about the durability of these tackle type boxes, but they have been durable so far with a trip through Mojave and Big Bear without even a fatigue discoloration.

My second ammo can houses my recovery gear. 2 straps, a snatch block and 1 shackle (my other is elsewhere) plus the winch controller fit nicely:

My compressor fits in another ammo can. I think this will eventually get hard mounted somewhere on the truck.

Finally, a smaller ammo can for my first aid kit.

This all fits nicely under my storage/sleeping platform:

My pullpal lives between the platform and the rear seat, with the blade wedged between the platform and the right wheel well:

I use either side of the platform to store some miscellaneous items like tie downs and my small inverter.

This has worked very, very well for me. On the most recent Mojave trip, I put the first aid kit in the passenger footwell, and piled the tools on the right and my cooking and food stuff in containers on the left side.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast