Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VSC Disable w/Factory Switch

VSC Disable w/Factory Switch

So I know there is already a write up on this, but I didnt like that method of disabling the system. 3rd Gen guys and FJ guys use this method, havent seen any 4th Gen guys though. And the write ups that are out there are either lacking, or not quite as extensive as they could be. So here is my method and write up.

Factory Switch. Ebay for 30 bucks.

Relay and Harness.

Due to the fact that the factory switch is Normally Open and I needed things to remain Closed, I had to use a use a relay with a Normally Closed configuration.

All soldered connections of course...

The wire being tapped into on the master cylinder assembly.

Master cylinder wire tap in its final configuration.

White and grey wires on factory switch are used as 12v and ground wires to energize relay and switch it from the closed to open position.

Voltage tap taken from 12v accessory plug.

Wiring all said and done.

All put back together.

Results of switch.

Lighting for new switch was tapped into the DAC switch next to it. Everything lights up just as it should during night time operations.

As for location of the switch... At first I was thinking to put it next to the 'center diff lock' switch up and out of the way. Was worried about accidentally bumping it and faulting things out while driving (and the fact that those spots are reserved for ARB goodness). Good news is... the switch is a momentary switch. You have to hold it down to fault out the system. The system will not fault out for approximately 2.5 seconds. So a quick bump of it is nothing to be concerned about. And being that it is a momentary switch, it will never be left on. Therefore, the switch is always in a default position of keeping the VCS system active. When you do activate the switch faulting out the system, the system is reset simply by cycling the ignition.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by xonetruthcrewx; 09-27-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Re: VSC Disable w/Factory Switch

Pull the codes and see if it tracks it with the newer nanny style OBD 2 for me. I'm curious if it would store it or not since all the new stuffs so interlinked any little thing throws a code these days.

Thanks in Advance!

Cool. I will get to that this week.

Why a momentary switch?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I wanted the factory switch for this mod. I did not know it was a momentary switch. I could have modified it to be a on/off toggle switch but decided I would rather have it momentary. That way the default is alway in a closed loop (due to the relay) keeping the VCS/TRAC system active. No 'Oops, I forgot to switch it back after I switched it last time.' moments. Not that cycling the ignition is all that difficult, but still.

So that begs the question how do you know it's still working? Because of the dash lights? Does the computer check for faults continuously or only when the ignition is turned off and on?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    So that begs the question how do you know it's still working? Because of the dash lights? Does the computer check for faults continuously or only when the ignition is turned off and on?
    Why I asked to have the codes pulled. Stored Code without the light being on means it isn't working. My worry is the ECU would think it was like pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery and confuse it as a reset or code drop situation.

I have yet to get a chance to pull codes. I only have a setup for VW/Audi as far as that goes. So eventually......

But yes, I am basing it working/not working solely on the dash lights. I do believe that the system is like that of the airbag system. Self diagnosing upon each startup. And being that the system is always in original configuration upon startup, should be good to go.

There is an easy way to check though. Give it some gas on the dirt. As you all know, it is very easy to activate the system with a little throttle. So I will do that today on my way home. I will report back a little later.

Yep, VSC/TRAC system activates and works just as it should. Push of the kill switch kills it, and upon restart all is reset and cleared. I will also check for any codes just as soon as I get a chance. Just for you...

Guess I never updated this... This mod does not create any sort of fault code. A while back I ran a full scan of the system and it is 100% clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast