Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan's North American Journey

Navigator

Re: Dan's North American Journey

Dan, there is no "Correct" way to shoot waterfalls, it's all based on stylistic choice of the photographer. Also, those freight trains will easily hold 65, in SoCal I have paced 100+ car trains at over 80mph.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I can't wait to see your Montana Pics! You're going to make me need to plan a trip back their asap!
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

David, do you know anything about the road that goes from Modina, MT east to Hwy 20, just outside of West Yellowstone? According to my map, it's an unpaved road that runs along the continental divide. It's about 40 miles long and should cut off quite a bit of miles.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Dan, I'm not too familiar with that road sorry. I spent most of my time closer to the Bozeman area and north of that.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Ok, thanks. There's a NWR along the road, so I can't image the road to be in too bad of shape, but there's been rain in the area today, so I dunno.

I love Montana! Had an amazing drive today.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

You can turn in your man card for not having a pocket knife...or three.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I do have a couple pocket knives, but I forgot to pack those as well. One of them was my grandfathers, so I probably wouldn't have wanted to use it anyways. I saw a leatherman for sale at Lowes, but I got tired of buying stuff for the trip.

Post 15: Glacier National Park

Every time I come to this area, I'm amazed at how abruptly the Rockies stick out of the plains.

In the picture above, the mountain on the right edge (barely visible) is Chief Mountain. Chief Mountain is where the US/Canada border crossing is.

My first stop in the area was Heart Butte. Heart Butte is located within the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, and from what I've been told, this is one of the poorest areas in the United States. Back when I was in school, a group of us students made a trip up here for a week every summer. We would do things like VBS with the kids and make repairs to the church or other structures in the community.

Church in Heart Butte

I took a drive up to the top of Heart Butte. 5 years ago, I took a Subaru Outback up this hill, but the rail has gotten considerably worse since then.

The town of Heart Butte. The nearest grocery store, gas station, and fast food is 45 minutes away. No cell signal and no radio stations.

From Heart Butte, I took a drive towards Many Glacier, which lies within the eastern side of Glacier National Park.

The last three times I've been been to this area was much earlier in the season, and crowds were almost non-existent. This time however, the parking lots were full. If you plan on visiting, come in the earlier part of the season. As beautiful as the area is now, I think it looks even better when there is snow still on the peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    You can turn in your man card for not having a pocket knife...or three.
    I'm glad someone said it. You always have to have something on you. I've had a knife on me everyday since I was about 15 with the exception of things like airports and jury duty but other than that something is always there. And in the 4runner there is always a Leatherman and at least 2 other knives of sorts.

Same here. I felt so naked on the alaska trip without a knife, and it would have come in handy too. I wasn't quite sure of the canadian laws and how strict there were going to be on the ship, so I didn't risk it. Next time I'll probably get a swiss army knife or something innocuous looking.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast