Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bodywork Issues

Bodywork Issues

Since I have owned my T100 there is a crack/dent in the tailgate. Apparently someone backed into something at one point but the bed liner was on it and only the metal was damaged (or maybe they replaced the plastic? IDK). Thus it dented and cracked the metal but the plastic bed liner is ok. I noticed it after having the truck for years (the tailgate was always bowed anyways) and I cleaned up some rust and shot it with some spraypaint (you cant really see the area to well) to prevent further issue.

I decided Id finally fix it. I used some bondo metal filler with pretty dang good results-except the spot where the crack is keeps coming back no matter what. Everything is looking good but that spot. The crack runs over the top of the tailgate about 3 inches long overall and is 1/16" wide at most (if not smaller).

I thought it might have been me going too thick of filler, nope I barely had any on there the last few times I tried and it still comes back.

Friend of mine suggested I use some glazing putty, maybe the metal filler was no good. Still no luck, it fills the crack but when its dry it comes back again.

So Im left with 3 choices:

1. Strip it all back down again (thats gonna SUCK!) and have someone weld it-hopefully not burning thru everything. Then of course I know it should be ok-but the chances or burning thru is high and this will only cost more money cause I gotta pay the guy.

2. Fiberglass it, which I think might work. Looking over bondos website I find they have a fiberglass-hair (as they call it) body filler that claims to be stronger than anything else. They claim it can be used to fill holes, repair rust holes as big as an inch, etc.

3. Epoxy the crack using JB weld or similar, then bondo over that. Not sure how well this would work, I suppose the epoxy would hold the crack together but IDk long term or if the bondo will cover over it without reacting.

So what should I do? I lean towards #2 only b/c its gonna be easier and I think will hold up better. I got an ok pic of it-kinda blurry sorry. The crack extends all the way around the back of the gate about 2 inches as well.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: Bodywork Issues

sorry, it needs to be welded. the crack will always come through, or cause the "fix" to crack in another place. that tailgate will flex alot more than you think it will.

either live with the crack or get it welded. a body shop should be able to weld it for you fairly cheaply if you strip it down and just have them weld, then do the prep and repaint yourself.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I figured as much Sean. You dont think the crack would hold with fiberglass? Ugh now I gotta do all that work over again and strip it down. Think ill break out the DA sander and a 60 grit disc.

I just recalled I might be able to get someone else to weld it that has experience with body work. Gonna give them a call tomorrow.

Also, found an awesome place to buy spray paint color matched paint, I got a can of primer, 3k4 toyota sunfire red pearl and clear coat. Considering the area its in, I can easily paint it with no fear of the repair truly being seen all that well. The bedliner covers about 90% of it.

I would seriously consider doing the whole tailgate but at 100/gal for paint, then 80 for clear and all the work that goes into it I dont think so for now. Plus the rest of the truck needs paint-ALOT of rock chips and scratches Ive touched up really good but you can still see them.

FWIW you can drill 2 holes on either side of the crack to prevent it from spreading further until you get a chance to tig it.

You'll want to create a small v-notch in the crack itself and working from the middle out to one hole and then the middle out to the other, tigging or migging as you go. Turn the gun way down. If you snag the feed line don't trip, just cut it off. The trick is to use the wire to slightly melt the surrounding parts but more so to fill and stitch it all up. Flapper wheel it down, primer and spray it w/ whatever quality paint you want.

(Short version, BTDT with my S-10.)

Yea thats kinda what I figured I was gonna hafta Obi. Its only more fun. Shame Im pretty much done with the body work too..Oh well.

Went to a buddy. he said he could mig it but theres too much material missing/messed up. He suggested I glass it for 2 reasons: 1. B/c its gonna be a heck of alot easier in the long run and 2. B/c we would have to cut a patch panel and make it exactly fit which is gonna be a bitch.

So deciding to glass it I got some pics before/during the repair. Sadly I just noticed I was a bit off drilling the one hole in the first pic. However that spot wasnt a large crack and its on the inside-which i wontever see. What I was mainly worried about is the 2nd pic. You can see the divot from someone backing into something and my subsequent hammering it as best as possible and removing the paint.

In another hour or so Im going to add a second layer of glass to reinforce everything. Then sand and wait for dry then fill, sand and paint. I got some exact match spraypaint and clear coming sometime this week. Was going to do real out of the can paint and HVLP gun with a compressor but it only needs to be blended at best. If I wanted to I suppose I could repaint the tailgate but thats more trouble than its worth.

Only annoyance so far is the fact the first layer kinda lifted the edge where the strands of the glass were. If it were inside the gate I dont care but its outside. Some sanding and filling and I hope I can fix it right.

I hop it works out, I think I would have cut the patch panel, and then used it as the template for what I was going to cut out, not hard to fit it that way.

But thats just me.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I honestly didnt feel like finding someone to weld it for me. I called one guy, 100/hr, friend of mine said he felt he would blow thru it and another friend said he didnt want too. Left me with little options.

Dang near close, ready for paint pretty much.

So far it has
    -Layer 1 straight up fiberglass
    -Layer 2 Fiberglass reinforced bondo (bondo hair): This is good stuff but it doesnt spread all to well! I used it to build up some areas. Shoulda used more, too late now. Also used the "long hair" version short hair mighta been easier to spread.
    -Layer 3 Bondo plastic metal: Used this b/c its stronger than bondo and I had to add a good thickness of it. Probably a good 1/8 of an inch of the stuff on there) Had I use more fiberglass filler this wouldnt have been needed as much imho.
    -Layer 4 Bondo: Smoothed out the metal plastic).
    -Layer 5 bondo Putty: Filled imperfections/cracks.

Whatever little else needs to be filled the filler primer will do. Im hoping i can blend it in well. You only see the last inch or so of that filled area on the lip of the tailgate. Rest wont be seen really and the back Im not to worried about.

I took these pics after I added slightly more body putty, its already knocked down and pretty much done.

cjm,

i think it keeps cracking b/c of body flex, even minute flexing will easily crack kitty hair (thats fiberglass body filler). there's plenty of metal left to weld. you could spot weld that crack if you take your time. then its a matter of grinding down the high spots. and only then would I just the kitty hair bondo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast