Thread: OME 881 and 906 Install

OME 881 and 906 Install

The springs on my '99 3rd gen seemed to be getting a little tired and the rear needed the extra help from the AirLift bags. I read around on different forums regarding spring replacement options but wasn't always finding the pictures, feedback or measurements I was looking for.

I've been toying with the idea of spring replacement for about 2 years now but didn't really need to do it so I hadn't. I got kind of bored one night and ended up ordering some springs from Wheeler's Offroad.

When I purchased the 4runner it was a completely stock 1999, 4wd. Being the '99 it sat a little higher than others and all was well. As time went on we carried more gear (stuff and kids) and the springs started to sag due to use (on and offroad). My first modification was the Air Lift bags and they put the rear level unloaded and with a little more air it kept the rear level when loaded even with heavy loads.

One problem was the ride and driving around with the air bags with about 20 psi. The rear was a bit stiff and dead feeling. As time wore on the fronts seemed sagged a bit but having air in the rear bags exaggerated this look. I installed some Toytec metal spacers in the front which are advertised as adding 3/4" of lift for most applications. All was good but the ride still wasn't there.

The plan was to install the new coils with the air bags but pull the valve core in the bags and just leave them there just in case. The front spacers would be shelved and we'd go from there.

Here are some starting off measurements with 20 psi in the air bags and the toytec spacers in.
    Tires are BFG AT's 265/75/16.

These locations for A, B and C were chosen as they are consistent with all 3rd gens regardless of front bumper or fender flare option.

A: 32.25"
    B: 49.75"
    C: 22.50"

With the valve core removed in the bags and the toytec spacers in.

A: 32.25"
    B: 48.75"
    C: 21.25"
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 07-10-2015 at 07:51 AM.

Re: OME 881 and 906 Install

I installed the new coils and made some more measurements. This is new, unsettled, OME coils, no air in the bags and no front spacer.

A: 32"
    B: 50.25"
    C: 23"

The rear was real high and the front was lower than with what I started with. Here is a pic of the old front coil and the new front coil.

The new one is longer and stiffer.

Here are the rears.

The old stock springs are longer but much softer. The new rears are also progressive which makes for a different ride.

With the rear being so high I decided to make my weekend trip to Home Depot for some things. I ended up with 560 pounds of pavers that I need for the backyard. The load dropped the rear end by 1" and it rode really well.

After hitting a lot of speed bumps, lunch and some miles I unloaded the pavers and the rear went back up 1". Having the rear so high was bugging me so I popped the front spacers back in and it's nice and level now.

Measurements with no air and with front spacers.
    A: 32.75"
    B: 50.25"
    C: 23"

In the end I like this height. It's slightly higher than what it was but the ride is much better and I still have the bags if I need to carry heavy loads.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 07-10-2015 at 07:53 AM.

Once I have some more miles I'll post up some settled measurements. Also some pictures although it looks similar to the way it did before (pic above). The biggest difference is the ride. It feels less stiff and more active, as in springy and not dead.

The shocks are Tokico Trekmasters that were replaced about 2 years ago. They are still in perfect condition and actually feel like they are working now that the rear hasn't been restricted by the air bags.

If anyone is interested in the old coils let me know, I'll let them go cheap.

I'll get some pictures after work but it looks a lot the same. Even if I had a before and after from the same angle it's very similar "looking". Biggest difference would be when compared to stock and compared to a '99.

I would like to know your A, B, C measurements though. I think you're still an inch taller front and back.

nice job

Nice - the ride is still pretty good up front even after the spacer?

Oh yeah. I'd go so far and say the spacer doesn't change the ride at all. Today I had about 2000 pounds in a trailer with cargo in the back and ir rode really well. As well as my old set up just not stiff.

awesome.

on a side note, i used my air bags for the first time in a while towing the trailer. rides so much better with them inflated when you have a huge load on the rear axle. did you keep your air bags installed?

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Yeah they are still in there. I pulled the valve core to see how the truck acts with and without a load. I pulled the trailer without air and it road fine. The rear sagged a bit but it was expected for the load and placement in the back.