Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My next tire?

My next tire?

Cooper ST Maxx

Anyone on here running these? Those things scream "buy me! buy me!".. but they ain't cheap. Load Range E only as well.

I'm sure the Cooper AT3 would be a MUCH better choice for my driving habits, but those things look too good to pass up.

Re: My next tire?

The thing that would hold me back on those would fall to the "E" rating. I'm not cool with an off-road tire that can't handle even sustained 45mph drives. I daily drive my 4Runner, maybe if it became a trailer queen then ok, but even then there's been times when I still had my 60 that I had to drive on a short stretch of highway back to the flatbed.

http://www.goodyear.eu/home_en/tire-...load-index.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by Obi..
    The thing that would hold me back on those would fall to the "E" rating. I'm not cool with an off-road tire that can't handle even sustained 45mph drives.
    I don't think I quite understand, even after looking at that site. Sustained 45mph speeds?

But yeah.. I don't need a tire that aggressive.. and the Load E thing makes me think my already rough ride will be rougher. A man can still dream though..

My load range E, BFG AT's have no problem on the road. Sustained 70 mph and up to 90, no problem. I wouldn't let the load range steer you away as much as a lug pattern , noise or durability.

Another thing to think about is mileage. With my duratracs, I think I've lost about 2 mpg and that's compensating for the size change. I need more data to confirm this though.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

^You still drive yours?

I've actually considered a couple of GoodYear's offerings myself lately.

The 07, not the 93.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi..
    The thing that would hold me back on those would fall to the "E" rating. I'm not cool with an off-road tire that can't handle even sustained 45mph drives. I daily drive my 4Runner, maybe if it became a trailer queen then ok, but even then there's been times when I still had my 60 that I had to drive on a short stretch of highway back to the flatbed.

http://www.goodyear.eu/home_en/tire-...load-index.jsp
    Obi,

That link you posted references to SPEED RATINGS and not Load Ratings. The coopers have a "Q" speed rating, which is 100 mph.

additionally...

many worry about E load ranges. I wouldn't. It's a simple fact that most tires in these sizes (265/75R16 or 285/75R16) are going to be E load range. Tire Mfgs finally figured out why the hell would we make both D and E load range tires when we can make an E that is sorta "backwards compatible" with vehicles that require a minimum of D (like some Ford Excursions).

Just because a tire is a higher load range (up to E, anyway), doesn't necessarily mean it's going to give you a harsh ride. the ride is going to depend on the air pressure in the tire. If you put a lot in there, say 65 PSI, it will be a stiff ride, as the tire won't give as much as if the tire were inflated to 35-40 PSI.

Overall, the quality of the tire itself is what makes or breaks the ride quality. After reading awesome reviews on tirerack.com, I put the Michelin LTX A/T2s on my new 2012 Tacoma Double Cab. On a 250 mile trip to Pismo, I must say they are AWESOME. Very quiet, and definitely performed offroad, at least, in the sand.

Bottom line, don't focus so much on the load range, and read, read, read reviews from real consumers.
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Quote Originally Posted by L33T35T Tacoma
    Obi,

That link you posted references to SPEED RATINGS and not Load Ratings. The coopers have a "Q" speed rating, which is 100 mph.
    Yep, a better link might be this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Thanks for clarifying, I don't know why I was thinking speed rating, maybe b/c of a recent project. Sorry guys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast